New windsurfer

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

jbatsea wrote:Will log in and check out the teaching beta. Thx! 'Student' not posting herself as 'student' has not bothered to register with BWD (too difficult), and she has a charming, but overbearing father for that. Also warnings of WS being a 'sausage fest' by certain un-named bloggers might have made her a bit gun shy!!

"Hiyo only teaches girls. There it is, we've decided for him. This sport is already a sausage fest."
that prolific poster has now passed me in number of posts...after joining 5yrs later, haha. It is true that the sport is male dominated, that should?? Make it more attractive for women to try it cept most of us are geriatrics...as for registration being difficult, sounds like everything is too difficult for that generation (boy, do I know this...), better not bother learning windsurfing, much too difficult. You can learn to kite in a day...
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Fair enough. It's just ultimately we all go to the same spots so she's going to end up meeting everyone at some point anyways, might as well start building those relationships. It's nice to know who to ask for help, spare parts, when you forget your harness etc... And hey, why is sausage fest inferred as an negative? sure it's mostly guys here but the group is more inviting and friendly than any other I know which is why this prolific poster has surpassed kus even though he had a head start.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
jbatsea
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jbatsea »

True, the group is friendly and very supportive, and I hope she does end up building relationships, even with other geriatrics aside from myself! I wish I could talk her in to KS-ing, but she has her mind made up, I also love what our neighbor said, "KS, hell, no way, she's in my tribe". She is pretty bound and determined. I wish i learned to kite in a day!!! you know the old adage, you can lead the horse to the registration box, but you can't make her fill it in. You'll also might be pleased to hear she got skunked today at JR and China beach, no wind, no waves for surfing. I did not get out on the water, but watched the KSers from the beach at IV and the great movie cam from CB, AWESOME guys! Maybe tomorrow for me... under 50+ knots is probably more my style with my limited ability...
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yesterday would've been pretty good for our student at Esq lagoon with a small sail. Steadyish wind, nice and flat, shallow east end and suprinsgly good water quality. It's where I learnt 6 years ago.
Don't forget to bring a towel!