Island View Petition

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
knottyPat

Island View Petition

Post by knottyPat »

For those of you who have been keeping tabs on Island View and the issues with the CRD wanting to rein in the park use: please sign the petition online. Only takes a minute: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/107/068/ ... &cid=fb_na [/url]
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Too many disrespectful dog walkers at this place has been my experience.....and no, they are not the minority of users, IMHO. It is also reflected in the comments on that petition site that some people don't care that the environment /other users such as fowl are impacted and they feel things are rightfully theirs somehow just because other generations or people had or have it. It makes me wonder about their motivations.

As much as I promote having access to the great outdoors and would hate to lose access to a wonderful sailing and kiting spot (if that is even in the plan) I am not one with the people predicting "Tsunamis or floods that will destroy the park anyway" and oppose one of the few voices left that speak in the name of mother earth. I suppose the CRD will cave anyway tho given public pressure and the almighty MLA's phone calls.....

not signing
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Your welcome to your opinion. Dog owners are there own worst enemies not cleaning up after their Dogs. (Island poo beach) :? BUT the draft plan has some serious issues, such as removing the R.V. park to recreate sand dunes :shock: and a strip ABOVE the high water mark being labeled a Env. protection zone. 24.8% of the park as well as 62 % preserved ( It's farm land ?! ) Not much left for humans ....... links to the draft plan etc. here: http://www.friendsofislandviewbeach.com/ :P
Last edited by JL on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thermals are good.
knottyPat

Post by knottyPat »

I agree, being a dog owner myself, that many IV users have been terrible dog owners that make it more difficult for the rest of us who spend our time ensuring everyone enjoys the park. It's not about that as an only issue. The CRD's intent is to substantially close the park for everyone on pretense of a sensitive ecosystem that they haven't been able to release any data or info on. I am totally in favour of making sure there is good and regulated stewardship of this great park but this is ridiculous. There is a sewage outflow at the North end of the park that has been in operation for at least 30 years for crying out loud!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I recall reading parts of the plan and it was speaking to birds being impacted by dogs, overuse etc, will check it again..I think it was the lame comments on the petition site that put me off...not that petitions generally achieve anything...as for sewer outfalls I suppose that's a tough one to fix...(are u sure it's a sewer not a storm drain?) as we all know by now...not as tough as closing part of a park to the nasty humans using, destroying and spreading like rats :? It's more than a little embarrassing to belong to the species....too bad we all want/need so much stuff and the more we have the more we want or feel entitled to, very odd design

I do like the holding of govt accountable for processes, expenditures and data. I'm probably the only BC resident paying $600/yr penalty just for maintaining my old analog hydro meter, the one that if given its existence would prevent all of the hydro computer systems from working...I see others still have their lights on tonight but hydro is even richer because of my anarchy tendencies :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Cam
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Cam »

Are you really only 52yo senor Kus? Or is that just when you started to do things the hard way?????? :) :) :) :) HaHaHa

Jet skiers enjoy the water the hard way.. Or at least their ears will tell them that when they are my age!!!

Island View is one strange and special place. Perhaps human life would be better protected there if there were more people riding horses there like the old days.

We should support the petition to ensure users who have sacred respect can continue enjoying Island Views special meaning on our regional eastern shore.

Improve the boat ramp and water access, reduce parking, ensure eco friendly camping. take direction from the learned locals.

One dog for every horse the will still run on the beach.
knottyPat

Post by knottyPat »

Sewage outflow for sure (although there is a major storm drain as well half way up the beach)
JL

Post by JL »

That image is the Tsawout lands n. of the park. The sewage plant was built to allow development of Dean Park. :oops:
Thermals are good.