Never windy enough in Van!

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

The Gman

Never windy enough in Van!

Post by The Gman »

Listening to all you islanders talk about sailing every day is driving me to the brink. I'm jealous! I'm thinking BC Ferries is going to be a year round friend of mine.

On this big southeaster that's supposed to rock through late tonight/friday morn, where would be the best spot to go - Columbia? Thinking of hopping the ferry in the morning from horshoe bay possibly. If I don't do something quick all the people I kept up with last year at the lake will blow my doors off!

Tugboaterg
bwd
Developer
Developer

Go to columbia!

Post by bwd »

Columbia....YES. It's been so good to us this season. We should give thanks. The tide looks good for a morning session....see you there,
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Yo G,

So far Columbia sounds like it could be good. I'm hoping to hit it earlyish Fri. Maybe see you there!

I hear you about the lame Vancouver wind. It's a big part of the reason for me moving back to Victoria! Oh well, the mountain biking there is hard to beat...
The Gman

Post by The Gman »

Thanks boyz
Going to flip a coin for boundary bay or columbia. Is tide (height) a big issue at columbia? Low water at boundary sucks kelp!

Tugboaterg
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

The Gman wrote:Is tide (height) a big issue at columbia? Low water at boundary sucks kelp!
Not really an issue no - just a longer walk to the water. Waveriding seems to work best on medium to high tides though, but there are still some nice rides on lower tides too. My favourite is when the tide is 3-4 feet above that long narrow sand/rockbar that you can see to the left in the cam on a low tide. When the swell breaks on that there are some great rides. The locals can tell you more, I'm just a kook visitor,
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

The island

Post by Bobson »

Hey Gman, if you need a place to stay on the island...I'm 5 minutes away from Island View, 25 mins away from Kook St and well if you're going to CB you too far away so sleep on the beach dude!! :D
The Gman

Post by The Gman »

Thanks Bobson,
If you're not careful you could end up with a full time house guest!

Got called into work at 0430 for a few hours this morn so missed most of it over here. Checked out boundary at about 0930 and 2 guys were doggin on 7ish sails.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

houseguest

Post by Bobson »

My 3 year old girl needs someone new to play with...she says I'm getting boring!! HA! :D
eenglish

Post by eenglish »

I was out at boundary from 7:15 to 8:15. I started out on a 70l board with a 5.4 but it was way too much. I then ran in and rigged a 4.4 which was perfect for the next 45 minutes. When I got off the water the wind had started to die but I had to go to work anyways. Only one other person out there when the wind was at its peak. It's all about timing here on the mainland.
The Gman

Post by The Gman »

Always the way. Planned to be there early but duty calls and I went the other way instead at 0430. Excuses, excuses...
At least it didn't go un-ridden.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

I think I missed again...

Post by KUS »

I'm just glad I didn't make the drive to Boundary this morning....it kinda seemed dead around 830 already so I did work for da man :cry:

I cannot believe I missed this Willows SE day 4 minutes away from my home tho..... :roll:

sometimes, no, all the time.....I question my priorities: food on the table and happy healthy family over sailing?? What was I thinking.....I shouldda stayed home to catch some of this front :twisted: :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....