Should I buy???!

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I'd guess not all that active a market for beginner ws boards, as not many beginners left. Your best bet may be to target ws schools, maybe they have leftovers to get rid of or maybe going out of business sale. Windsure at Jericho might be an option (or the UBC Sailing club, same building).

Airtime in Van seems to have a couple new starboard beginner friendly boards, but $$$$.

Not the worst thing ever if she ends up on an old cruiser board, can still get out there and play. Main thing is don't overpay for it, it should be cheap or free if you're talking about ancient gear gathering dust in a garage.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

The carve was a classic all-round easy jibing board. I believe they were always a wider style. Unless someone remembers differently it's a reasonable choice. Should be very cheap at that age though.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

jbatsea wrote:So far no answer for the carve, is 2000/01 still considered 'vintage' by most WS types?
anything after 1996-98 onward is probably useable for a beginner if it's in decent shape, the carves were great and didn't change much into the 2000's IMHO. Minor changes on the boards a beginner would not notice, just beginner uphaul boards wide and short or inflatable is probably best.....yes the newer gear is a little better but hey, uphauling an old barge and falling into a non-pintail, mylar window sail is fine for a beginner til you sink some dollars into your longerterm gear.....which is probably going to be your BIG gear soon thereafter....for a smaller person that's probably a 90-100L board, for me it was 120L, uphaulable in calmer waters
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....