Esquimalt Ocean Access

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
skywalker

Esquimalt Ocean Access

Post by skywalker »

Hello

I will be presenting to the Esquimalt Council on July 4th to request an ocean access staircase in either Saxe Point Park or Macauly point park.

Having recently moved there, I cannot find a decent launch, even for windsurfers. I imagine divers and kayakers will also enjoy an easy access staircase.

Both of these parks are directly in front of excellent wind. The Esquimalt shores have so much potential.

If you would like to chime in, please let me know. Trying to broaden our sailing areas.
Attachments
Esquimalt Launch Sites
Esquimalt Launch Sites
Esquimalt Launch Sites.JPG (88.03 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

FWIW a lot of the local freedivers/spearfishers frequent macaulay & saxe already, and would love better access.

I haven't been out there to look at it, but wouldn't that jetty at macaulay lend itself to a similar setup to the squamish spit?
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Luke, I have been kiting Saxe Point 3 times at least (I live 2 minute from your house, im actually on your wifi right now, you should change your password imo). Anyway, prior to that 5 +++ try where I was not able to get on the water because it is very sketchy, small gust and walking on the rocks like that is just calling for broken bones.

Look the map with the GPS track from my 3 successful times. I am not lying, took me at least 15-25 minutes to get on the water from the time the kite was launched to the time I made it to the water.

I didnt include the 5 times I didnt make it to the water because the GPS track would hide most of the picture.
Attachments
SaxePointGPSTrack.jpg
SaxePointGPSTrack.jpg (637.38 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i don't think i like this place, it looks like too many drunk guys are wandering all over. :lol:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

just curious about the tracking....in what looks to be totally onshore conditions onto pure rock/reef.....how do you plan to self-rescue if you had to :?: or the wind kicked up 15 knots :shock:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

There’s no doubt that even with a staircase this is a sketchy spot. However that hasn’t stopped us before. Self rescue would be a nearby wind sheltered beach to the right of Saxe point.

Yes the pitch is that everyone will enjoy an easy access staircase. SUP, Kayak, Diver, Swimmer, dogs, Maybe on warm summer day children could swim etc etc. We would just be one user, and most likely use it when other people aren’t interested. Too windy.

Ian, that tracking looks about right.

Macauly point would also work, its just a long walk from the car with gear. Saxe point is a short distance. However I will push with both spots as they both would be nice.

Any thoughts on design? I am pushing for nice wide stairs so people can sit on them as well. Also reduce the chance of slipping.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

There are good windless bays with gravely/sandy-ish spots to swim into both up and downwind from Saxe Point. On a summer westerly day I think its a good spot, but maybe not for 40-50 knot westerly clearing days.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Saxe looks like the better/less sketchy one as far as having people drifting into busy boating lanes and/or the cruise ship terminal if they have a bad gear failure, which I'm sure the municipalities would be concerned with.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

The distance between car and saxe point is really close. Which is why some of the natural beaches are a little inconvenient for SUPers but Im speculating.

Anyway, how cool would this be
Attachments
Nikola-Bašić-sea-organ4.jpg
Nikola-Bašić-sea-organ4.jpg (264.13 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I think Ian is just playing with his etch-a-sketch again.
curses - foiled again!
johnz

Post by johnz »

Teabag wrote:Luke, I have been kiting Saxe Point 3 times at least (I live 2 minute from your house, im actually on your wifi right now, you should change your password imo). Anyway, prior to that 5 +++ try where I was not able to get on the water because it is very sketchy, small gust and walking on the rocks like that is just calling for broken bones.

Look the map with the GPS track from my 3 successful times. I am not lying, took me at least 15-25 minutes to get on the water from the time the kite was launched to the time I made it to the water.

I didnt include the 5 times I didnt make it to the water because the GPS track would hide most of the picture.
This is fantastic.
johnz

Post by johnz »

PS - good on you Luke!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Unanimous approval from the Esquimalt council. We can expect a new launch site in Esquimalt in the near future,

A few of us recently incorporated the Vancouver Island Windsport Society, and this was the first piece of official business. I will post more about the VIWS later as we get our act together. There will be meetings and elections etc.

Watch my presentation to council here:

http://esquimalt.ca.granicus.com/MediaP ... a_id=21622
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Very cool, now my VIWS business has an entire society :D sounds awesome
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Well done Luke. Great presentation. I'd be happy to have you speak for any group. :P & , of course great news for Esq. & Greater Vic. kiters, windsurfers, divers & sup-ers etc.. 8)
Thermals are good.