kite repair

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
bamfieldave

kite repair

Post by bamfieldave »

hey, i have a slow leak in one of my kites. any advice on where to get it fixed? pref. closer to ukee. also is it hard to remove the bladder and patch it myself. anyone done this?input welcome
cheers dave
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Is it a strut or the leading edge, struts are staight forward enough ( one of my leaks was the octopus connector so check that before you take anything else apart
Scubasteve

Post by Scubasteve »

Comox kite repair...great care of your kite. Fixed a few of my kites and those of my friends. Meticulous. Comes to west coast from time to time.
bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

found it last night, its actually a few pin holes along the leading edge of the kite. going to see if i can pull the bladder and patch it like a bike tube. if that doesn't work i will call Comox kite repair.
thanks
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

make sure you tie a string to both ends of the bladder before you pull it out so you can get it back in after! i use kite lines for that. also be careful to feed it back in so you don't get it twisted. you will know if its twisted when you reinflate it and it looks wacky or lumpy.then you get to experience the joys of doing it all over again!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

What Gnarf said plus tape a flat piece of cardboard approx 4"×4" to the end you are pulling in to help keep the bladder from twisting. It makes it really easy.
Last edited by nanmoo on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Simple enough to do be doable by a civilian ... potentially frustrating enough that bringing to a pro is excusable. ;-)

There are some good youtube DIY videos to help.

You can use soapy water on leading edge to identify what part leak is, before you pull the bladder. Sometimes you get lucky....if leak is in the rubber tube from leading edge to strut, then 2 minutes and you're done. (ALWAYS check this first!)

Finding the pinholes...use soapy water, the air will blow bubbles. Can dunk in a kiddie pool section by section. Easier with 2 people. Some say to hold your face near the inflated bladder....you can feel the air escaping on your cheek.

Patching....TearAid Type A is the stuff....can get it at MEC.

Pay special attention to strut valves and inflation/exhaust valves....delam is a common problem.

When you put bladder back in, lay it flat with the inflation/exhaust valve in right spot, then fold the bladder in 2' sections, back and forth, ending with the end of the bladder by the entry hold. That way it pulls back in easily and right side up. Also way easier with 2 people.

Only inflate halfway to confirm the bladder isn't twisted.

Pump it up and leave a couple hours to make sure you fixed it and no other leaks.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Check out the youtube video Ocean Rodeo Bladder Replacement Guide.
When you remove the zap straps off the strut valves just twist off with a pair of pliers - better that using the scissors shown in the video.
bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

got it! one pin hole on the leading edge and a blow out at the main inflate valve. thanks everyone.