Fin Repair Pictures

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Fin Repair Pictures

Post by DavidM »

Columbia Beach can be hard on fins. Nursing the last bit out of that wave can do significant damage if your fins are carbon fiber or polyester fibreglass. G10 can survive a lot better. Pictures show the repair of quad "Maui Fin Company" carbon main fins that lost about 1/8" length and fabric fracturing in one encounter with the reef. If you have time and patience, they can be repaired. Best practice is to get G10 fins whenever possible.

Link below (You will have to copy and paste the entire line where appears below, for some reason the entire link here is not highlighted in blue, therefore not active)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkhqBO6YDmWapkhnC-3RP0Uevz0s
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Nice work David, thanks for posting!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

But G10 fins are so heavy!

Lol.

In all seriousness, this reminds me of when I put the first 7-7 Carbon SUP back together as the Franken-SUP that now sees regular surf usage. It wasn't until I was 90% done laminating and sanding all the scarf joints did I realize I probably should not be wearing just a t-shirt and minimally a dust mask. My next step was to google, "can sanding carbon kill you..." :lol: :shock:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

good thing I can look at the real deal cuz that link sure doesn't work for me, thanks David :D awesome :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....