Salmon Point Web Cam

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Salmon Point Web Cam

Post by redbaron »

Thanks Dave for adding another Camera!!
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=14

Putting a pub next to a launch spot was an excellent idea :idea: !!

I am yet to sail there. Hopefully this winter. I have seen it windy on a NW and it looks fairly beginner friendly, but I would say advanced sailer in the SE. Anyone sailed this spot on SE?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks Jesse.

Yes Salmon Point, Campbell River, experts only:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Salmon_Point

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=14&z=0

Streams live to youtube 6am-10pm. Make sure to select 720p from the youtube settings (bottom right of the image). It also uploads a still image every minute. Check the timestamp to make sure it's LIVE, use the slider to rewind. Click the YouTube link to see more stored videos from the day or other days. I haven't figured out excatly how it works on YouTube yet...I think if you watch the LIVE feed you can rewind up to 4 hours, then after the stream ends (at 10pm) it gets processed and stored and is available to view. So by the next day you can see the previous days entire video. Not sure how many days it will store...it's all new to me.

The timing was right- stories of epic side shore and OH waves and a Pub offering high speed internet and me just buying some new streaming webcams. I thought it would be a great first test of the new webcams and it was a quick and easy install.

Big thanks to Alex Paquin for all of his work in the organization and install and Jim at the Salmon Point Pub!

I will start a separate topic on the new webcams, how they work and where to put them etc...
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

salmon point

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Looks like a 4km self rescue. Be prepared, bring a snack!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I have sailed there and don't recommend it to anyone but advanced folks...maybe...it gets scary big....I'm not sure I'd ever do it again....pub's great but u can camp there too ...waterfront row is usually empty due to blasting winds and salt spray....and there is ....was...a hot tub too :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

KUS wrote:I'm particularly interested in the new Salmon Pt cam as it has been on my mind for many years to give it another go and not get humbled/freaked....
That's the spirit. Maybe the key is not to try it when it's 35+. I was watching it yesterday and it looked like a fun spot. Here's the report when I asked approx sail size:

"4.2 probs. i was on a 7 pretty powered up. Both Dave and Dayna were on 6m. Gusty 30kts ish. Pretty nice actually. Waves in front of the pub are much smaller than the actual south point. I would say 4-5 footers at very best in front of the pub and solid 8 footers (real clean and real nice!!!!!) at the point. Spent most of my time there and just finished my session at the pub to try the cam. "

4.2 would be fun. I tried to save some video segments from yesterday but it didn't seem to work (damn youtubes). Here's an old fashioned still pic:

gnarf

Post by gnarf »

Sounds sick!!
winddude

Post by winddude »

looks good, is that rocky break water the launch? I'm packing lots of ding stick if so.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

bwd wrote:Maybe the key is not to try it when it's 35+. I was watching it yesterday and it looked like a fun spot. Here's the report when I asked approx sail size:

"4.2 probs.....solid 8 footers (real clean and real nice!!!!!) at the point. Spent most of my time there and just finished my session at the pub to try the cam. ".
yeah but...where's the fun in that? :lol:

So...where's the fabled point? Not the harbour entrance area surely? And are the consequences equally dire should u miss ..as the rocks I dealt with at the pub? It was a drag running for my life carrying the kit at high tide galloping across boulders/driftwood chunks :lol: after bouncing fins off same trying to beach land as high as possible .. :shock: really looking forward to it...u first tho :twisted: :wink: I will cheer from the deck first round with a pint in hand :P &#127867;&#127867;. That pub rocks btw
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....