SUP leaks

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

SUP leaks

Post by tempy »

I have a question about "odd" apparent leaks on my SUP.

I noticed a weird "bubbling" inside my grab handle and also inside the leash plug on my SUP when it was out in the sun at Nitinat this year.

I assume it was because of a slight pressure build up in the heat. I released the vent plug and it disappeared.

It got me thinking though - if air was escaping, couldn't water get in? And then I tried to see where the hole was. It is impossible to see, and the bubbles were coming from inside the grab handle, and inside the leash plug.

has anyone had a similar experience? What do you suggest I do about it.

My Naish Nalu had the problem, as did my Starboard (only the leash plug on the starboard).

Boards are too old for a warranty claim, although it sure seems like a design defect rather than something I did, given the leak area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

are you using it much through the winter? you could open it up and let it dry out for a few months. try leaving it deck down , someplace warm over some paper towels and see if anything drips out.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

are you sure it's not a vented leash plug? then it would be normal to blow bubbles.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Thanks Dave, not, not a vented leash plug - they have their own screw off leashes. I think I will try that - put them somewhere warm for the next few weeks and see what is happening.

I am just surprised that there is a "compromise" of an area like the handle grip unit.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

does your board seem heavy? It's easy to find a leak by putting your board out in the sun but this time of year good luck with that. you can take an old schaeder valve cut off a tire tube and thread it into your vent hole then GENTLY use a bike pump to pressurize your board a couple psi, just enough to see if you get bubbles. :D handle is actually a common spot to get a leak, it's a hard spot where the foam can get crunched down all around.