Suggestions for a safe place to use a starter kite?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
MDCustom

Suggestions for a safe place to use a starter kite?

Post by MDCustom »

As the title says, I am looking for a safe place to use a starter kite around Victoria area.

I spent some time on the North Shore of O'ahu recently with my kite but still need some practice! It would be nice to go back there but.... you know how finances and responsibilites go....

With the wind up today (Sat) I am tempted to head down to Cook St. With all the pedestrians nearby is that a good idea?

Mahalo plenty!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Probably too windy today for a starter kite - assume you mean a 4m trainer kite. Clover Point on a 5-10 knot west or east wind would be better.
Stay away from the high foot traffic areas off Dallas Road.
MDCustom

Post by MDCustom »

Rocdoc,

Yes, it is a 3M trainer kite.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm too busy today to get out there anyway but when the wind kicks up, I start getting eager.
I will keep an eye on the wind forecasts.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Esquimalt lagoon near the lighthouse on a low tide and SW wind is the best south island option for what you're looking to do. It just doesn't happen very often.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

The cricket pitch behind the metchosin firehall is pretty epic. Rarely any other humans there , big open field and pretty much windy anytime it's blowing west. Had some legendary trainer kite battles there with atomic chomik.
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

*rarely other humans in the evenings. Also a good place to buy local organic honey if the market is on! :wink:
Sandy Beach

trainer kite spots

Post by Sandy Beach »

Island View, on the Saanich Peninsula, off Pat Bay Hwy
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

a landboard would be wicked fun with a 3m trainier. good practice! (go strapless for the first few sesh)
MDCustom

Post by MDCustom »

bamfieldave wrote:a landboard would be wicked fun with a 3m trainier. good practice! (go strapless for the first few sesh)
I have thought of doing that! I saw a board on usedvic a while back for a decent price. Thought it would be a blast. Just can't find too many fields without a wind shadow.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

trainer

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

ya, what Gnarf said!
Last edited by Atomic-Chomik on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

gnarf wrote:The cricket pitch behind the metchosin firehall is pretty epic. Rarely any other humans there , big open field and pretty much windy anytime it's blowing west. Had some legendary trainer kite battles there with atomic chomik.
:shock: :lol:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
BK

Post by BK »

Back in 2001, I learned with a 3m slingshot trainer kite and a mountain board. The 2 best spots were clover point and island view. Unfortunately, island view has a cheese grater in the middle of the field now and clover point has just gotten way to busy with people and traffic. You may get the odd day to pull it off without too many people around.
Good luck!
CTK

Post by CTK »

Island view is the best spot. Or clover point if you skills are average.