Best Wetsuit Liner Type/Brand?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Best Wetsuit Liner Type/Brand?

Post by more force 4 »

Well seeing there is no wind, I'll have to buy some equip. On the (maybe incorrect) assumption that there will be wind before spring, I'd like to add a wetsuit liner. I'd really like a breathable drysuit, but ... There seems to be two or three kinds in the local surf/dive shops -

nepoprene with microfleece lining,
spandex,
spandex with fleece
and spandex? with titanium reflector stuff.

Anyone know anything about the choices. Prices seem to range from about $80 to $130 for the titanium.
daveb

Post by daveb »

I use the fuzzy rubber surf top from mec, its on clearance for cheap like 60 bucks. it adds a mm or so of warmth to your suit.
lycra surfshirts help your suit slide on better but wont add warmth.

Post by Guest »

I bought a 1mm pro limit top from Windance and use it under my whites wetsuit. helps a lot for winter warmth - you don't feel the flushing as much.

http://www.windance.com/default.asp?win ... tem~PL2CVL

The only thing is the extra rubber makes you feel like the michelin man.
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by voodmon »

hey best one out there is the o'neil thermoskin available at coastline...can be had with hood or without it wicks water away right now , best i've found in 24 years
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

warmth

Post by KUS »

Hey, with respect, I think you guys are all talking about filling the void spaces in your wetsuit so water cannot flush your heat away....anything, your granny's old socks, will work for that. You don't actually get mega cold when you are sailing along cuz you are working all the time, only when in water and getting flushed.....As soon as you add enough bulk, like my o'neil top with hood for 2-3 mm, you DO feel like Michelin Man and won't be able to sail worth a shit. :? I'd rather try flex seals around your ankles/wrists and a good PFD to keep arms and neck above water.

Good advice if you want some: Get a dry suit or a good non-leaky steamer, for god's sake :idea: or stop sailing in winter :evil: . People blow several grand on gear but won't shell out $400 for a potentially 10-20 year suit. I believe you turn into a liability in this water temperature without it! I know. I worked in the business :!: What's your life worth?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

warmer, not safer

Post by KUS »

Hey, read this again, this mighta sounded harsh for someone looking to get warm and fuzzy. :cry: Okay okay, any wicking fleeces work to keep WARMER, but like I said, few things will kill ya faster than cold water....buy the suit. Kus
Wish less, sail more!!

more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey, Kus, thanks for the tone down. And thanks to the other posters for earlier recommendations. I bought a new 5/3 steamer last spring, and it is WAY better than anything I've ever had. It has good neck seals and the cuffs are still reasonably tight, so there isn't much leakage -- still not a drysuit though. I'm just looking to add some extra insulation to the core area. I can't sail worth a shit anyway, so that shouldn't matter too much - I'm winter sailing to try and get more time on the water than I seem to on occasional one day or weekend trips to Nitinat. I've added booties and open palm gloves this winter. I did get pretty cold on an earlier session (esp. hands, which don't matter too much for hypothermia, but do when you wake up in the middle of the night with both your forearms and hands completely numb and have to shake them for a minute to get back feeling/circulation......). That chill could be traced to spending 15-20 minutes in the water on the first run trying to reattach the boom (memo to self - triple-check all gear attachments). The PFD might also be a good option, but I've already ordered the surfsuit from MEC. I've also been following the cold water sailing threads in recwindsurfing, and read the cold water issue of Boards magazine, and have a long term interest in hypothermia, so I'm pretty knowledgable about the risks. Now if only we can get some decent wind!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

hands

Post by KUS »

hey, yeah, just having one of those days :x

taking along a thermos with warm or hot water and heat your hands up after the first real chill a few runs into things tends to take the edge off I find, nvr found that gloves worked too well, get forearm cramps. Cheers. Time to mellow, I know. [smilie=drinkofbeer.gif]
Wish less, sail more!!

daveb

Post by daveb »

youll dig the mec top.
from my experience, after 10 years that kick ass steamer becomes a short sleeve, then a shortie, then a sleeveless shortie for mexico, then a roof rack pad/.
:D
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yeah, back from Pat Bay at 12:30, rigged 4 sails all too small. Should of had my 7.5 and big board for the end. Got about 1 minute sailing, about 30 sec in straps, but LOTS of swimming! MEC top just arrived in time, it was COSY! Cold NO problem!