best place for a windsurfer to live in Canada?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JustGiver

best place for a windsurfer to live in Canada?

Post by JustGiver »

Been addicted to windsurfing for only the past three years. Would like to find a place to live in Canada that offers close to year round access to decent windsurfing locations. Victoria seems to be tops on my list so far. Any other ideas? A city with good locations within an hours drive would be ideal...

Great forum & site. Learned a lot from it.
colin

Post by colin »

not only is vic great for windsurfing, its the best place for everything else we enjoy in our lives (year round)!!
kite+waves=!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

and our property taxes and cost of living confirm this...IF you can afford to live here, it's the place to be in Canada, Parksville-Courtenay close second I would think, them's got the white stuff nearby too 8)

this sounds like the Squamish/Vic thread tho, check it. :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

place to live

Post by tempy »

don't overlook Nanaimo. Close to CB and Pipers, and Nitinat. Cost of living even lower tha Victoria, and a passenger ferry trip away from the big smoke if you get lonely.

Probably the most centrally located city - hour and a half to Victoria and Mnt Washington.

We love it. Hey, anywhere on the Island is better than most anywhere in the world.
bean

Post by bean »

Check the sailing log from the home page to see the whens, wheres and how muches. Moved here from Vancouver a couple of years ago and it's like night and day - night there, day here. Pretty rare for temperature to be too cold to sail.

Post by Starboard Steve »

Ssshhh... Don't tell everyone about Victoria. :D
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I moved to Parksville from Vancouver 2 1/2 years ago and don't miss the big smoke one bit. a 4-lane divided highway with virtually no traffic gets you around quick to access by far the best wind and ocean conditions in Canada !
Signature Block.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

ive heard that halifax is really nice, Nova scotia has tons of surf spots.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

believe it or not Port McNeill/Port Hardy can dish out wind like a mutha and it's all right at your doorstep

the southeast is relentless in the winter, it blows for weeks on end ... you can sail it right in town, but i recommend the spot by hardy airport for bigger swell(only a 20-25 min drive from McNeill) ... and then there's the summertime northwesterlies that light up nimpkish lake nicely(again, only a 20-25 min drive) ... also this freshwater lake has a long fetch providing big swell that makes nitnat look like tha kiddie-pool ... even during a strong high pressure knight inlet's outflows turn into southeasters in front of McNeill
Cain offers up sick un-groomed terrain(pow pow gnar) on weekends/holidays and is within striking distance

hands down, the North I. kicks a$$ on the South I. for how many windy days you will get in a year, especially the winter season ... so if you're seriously 'core' you should live there
Kiterkliff

Youbou

Post by Kiterkliff »

Youbou (u-bow)
What can I say I kite almost every sunny day and then some ! Lake cowichan or Nitinat close by. Cheap houses, no noise, 1 hr to nanaimo or Vic. and of course the coon creek cafe.........right.