Winter kite trip

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Baisjohn

Winter kite trip

Post by Baisjohn »

Hello Everyone :)

We am new to Victoria and my girlfriend would like to get into the sport. We would love to go on a trip with some good learning conditions and meet people in the community.

Is anyone planning on a winter kiteboarding trip or have suggestion where and when to go?

Thank you,
John
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Baja... Nov to Mar ish?

Elevation is setup there at Baja Joe's

check out Air B&B's etc

I've never been myself
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I've been and its warm and sunny and windy! Elevation does give great lessons and you are safe as the beach curves to catch you. Plus it's well organized for visitors and low stress.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I offer lessons in La Ventana also. Nice private beach away from the crowds in front of Joes. Nov is the best month in my opinion. Warm water, small crowds, cheap fish and great wind!
Sandy Beach

Baja Sur

Post by Sandy Beach »

La Ventana and El Sargento, Baja Sur will fit the bill, if your request is "some good learning conditions and meeting people in the community".
You will meet the wind peeps (kiters, windsurfers, SUPers, etc) from (all over) Vancouver Island, Lower Mainland (including Squamish), Pacific NorthWest/Washington, Oregon, Hood River, California, Alaska, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and the Prairies. Plus, many more!:). You can get away with an inexpensive and low maintenance winter vacay far from the dark and dreary Nov-Feb months here.
Bring pesos, as La Ventana and El Sargento are small, rural 'fishing villages' that are still not as 'touristy' as many other holiday beaches. The restaurants are authetic, family kitchen style meals (brush up on your Spanish). Also, bring a winter jacket for beach fires, as the desert is cool at night, similar to Nitinat camping in the Vancouver Island summer nights. Never seen a 'fireban' in Baja in winter.
Annual pilgrimage in January booked for us:)
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
kirk

csm cuba

Post by kirk »

The Cayos on North shore cuba are great from Nov to April. water cools to 27c degree, air 27 degree ( hoter in March), nights are maybe 20 degree, crystal clear water..sand sand and sand. I take my 9 and 12 ocean rodeo prodigy kites and ride 5 out of 7 days.stay at all inclusive for $1400 ish for 2 week for flight, accom, food, drink, tranportation tax etc... this is a pic of a Memories Parisio Cayo santa maria, bigger waves close to shore than other cayos but still waist deep for a long 500 meter out. I am heading to Perla Valentin next week on CSM
Attachments
PB261545 - Copy.jpg
PB261545 - Copy.jpg (365.79 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
csm cuba - Copy.jpg
csm cuba - Copy.jpg (97 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
kirk

beginner cayo guillermo

Post by kirk »

If your a newby Cayo guillermo is perfect conditions, with big wide sandy beach and sand bottom for 500 meter out and kilometers along beach in under waist deep!! same wind as CSM but smooth no waves,. no wetsuit.. bring sunscreen and sun rash guard. Suggest Sercotel of Daiquiri resort if your a newbie as the glass smooth shallow water is beachfront
Attachments
DSC02537 - Copy.JPG
DSC02537 - Copy.JPG (220.64 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Guillermo 2017, shallow beginner heaven - Copy.jpg
Guillermo 2017, shallow beginner heaven - Copy.jpg (34.8 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Beach looks fabulous, but are there lots of stingrays burrowed into the sand? Its a mine field in Baja on similar sand when you see the divets at low tide, luckily never stepped on one yet.
kirk

sting ray cuba cayos..??

Post by kirk »

No stingrays at this beach ( 8 trips) I have only seen stingrays in the cayos when we go out snorkeling to reef a long way out, and hardly any.
raztec

Re: beginner cayo guillermo

Post by raztec »

kirk wrote:If your a newby Cayo guillermo is perfect conditions, with big wide sandy beach and sand bottom for 500 meter out and kilometers along beach in under waist deep!! same wind as CSM but smooth no waves,. no wetsuit.. bring sunscreen and sun rash guard. Suggest Sercotel of Daiquiri resort if your a newbie as the glass smooth shallow water is beachfront
Do you know if there is instruction being offered there?
Also, for someone at 80kg, what size kites do you recommend there?
Finally, what months are best for wind?

Thanks
kirk

Guillermo in winter

Post by kirk »

Usually lessons by the sercotel..... we go when it's winter here, Nov to March, i am 80 kg and bring Ocean prodigy 12 and 9.5 and get 10 of 14 days good kiteing.. avoid ap to Oct as it's hot, hummid , buggy