learning the art, spring 05

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
cj

learning the art, spring 05

Post by cj »

Hey all! Bought my first set-up a month or so ago. I've been in the water a few times and feel things are coming around pretty well. I'm on the board riding each way ok but losing lots of ground! Lots of ground, like the walk back up the beach takes two or three time longer than the ride itself. Anyone felt or feeling this frustration? Any progression tips for a guy like me? I'd like to say, the support on the beach is rad! not like surfing with a bunch of assholes, though i do love it. Peace[/i]
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Go Home Kook! Quit crowding the REAL rippers! :evil:

Just kidding. Just thought I'd try some of that surfer-aggro-attitude for cheap fun. Whether it's kiteboarding or windsurfing, EVERYONE does the Walk of Shame when they are learning. I believe there is a law written somewhere about this. Keep reading mags, webzines and asking for advice from the top sailors/kiters at the beach. The main thing is to keep at it. There is no substitute for time on the water!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

cheech

Post by KUS »

not sure what board you have but daggerboards help losing the ground or a bigger fin. Usually you will figure out how to reach upwind once you are in the straps, planing or at least planing while learning to use straps. To plane you usually bear off a bit first, get up to speed, then slowly rake the sail back and lean a bit on the upwind rail and the board magically will go upwind....you can't do this going slow, usually beginner speed. The biggest mistake people tend to make is fighting the going downwind by pointing upwind without speed...all that happens then is you go slower, drift sideways and get eventually pushed downwind regardless. You are better off going at a broad reach (straight out) and when you turn, tack (nose into wind) not gybe (which loses precious yards downwind). If you feel lots of pull on your arms but you are not going fast or speeding up, chances are you are fighting the wind rather than going with it....bear off a bit by standing in the middle or a bit on the lee (downwind) rail by sneaking your toes over there and you will find the pull becomes initially harder, lean back, speed up and get going. Once going, rake the sail back gently and move the feet back to the windward side....takes a while to get it, no worries. Once in the straps and harness you can really push against the fin and this will seem like a non-issue if you have sufficient wind. 8)

ahh, kiteboard discussion, doooh....so I got channeled there, nope, no daggerboards on kiteboards but I suppose the principles still apply :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Kiterkliff

Up

Post by Kiterkliff »

Stay at it, I went out and did the same thing as you one day, walked up the beach relaunched and all of a sudden started staying upwind, wierd shit but it just happens. One tip I got as I was walking up the beach was to slow down a bunch to just planing. This stopped the down wind skip and let me dig my heel side in, presto up wind I went!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Once you have the feel of the kite and are comfortable in its control knowing where it is more by feel than looking, then begin looking to where you want to end up and turn your shoulders that direction as well, your hips and feet will tend to want to follow. It also depends a bit as to what type of board you are riding, is directional, bidirectional, etc etc, different boards do different things, but most need to be ridden a little off the back foot, so bend your back knee a bit and straighten out the front knee, again pointing in the direction you want to go, then practice practice practice. Good luck!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
colin

Post by colin »

all part of the learning curve, feels good when you come back where you started for the first time.
kite+waves=!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

need an edge and get in the groove

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

you need to get planing on a broad reach - then once you are there gently get the kite flying more and more upwind while keeping your plane. Now start to edge your board into the water against the kite and pull a little against it toward the upwind- all the while staying in the groove - the beautiful balance of kite pull vs your edge and going upwind. If you loose speed let the kite pull you down on a broad reach again and get the plane happening again and the edge - get in the groove and bring the kite back upwind slowly. There is a fine balance point where you go upwind - it is a subtle thing but once you feel it the lightbulb and bells will go off in your head and you don't forget. :idea: If you are using a converted surfboard then epoxy some more fins on it - this I learned after a frustrating year :? . You might have to fly the kite in the sign wave pattern if the wind isn't too strong.
curses - foiled again!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Go to the links page on this site. There is a linkto a site called kitesurfing school. It covers all the basics. It also has a logbook that describes the various problems when starting and how they were overcome. A great kiting resource.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
x3

Post by x3 »

kitesurferdale has some good advise for coming back to where you started from. to add to that....if your having a hard time controling your speed you often end up downwind faaaaaast, so get your ass in the water (physically) when you feel like your going to fast and control your speed if that helps......you dont need to go faaast to go up-wind.
jump higher - hang longer
cj

kick ass feedback

Post by cj »

thanks for the feedback on this. i'll tell ya, the rides are getting longer and the smile is getting bigger. In response to speed control, i've found that learning to trim my sail properly has been a huge help! ha! Being overpowered will pull me off edge and take me downwind fast. I just bail to body drag, slow down and try again! This cuts down on the foot brusing walk back up the beach! I've felt to groove though, i just need to quit geekin out!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Glad to hear the stoke is growin!! keep it up and youll be rippin in no time!! I tend to ride a bigger kite and board speed is critical, if you get goin to fast you cannot get the edge of your board in the water to bite as well as the kite will tend to stick in the power zone and not head upwind. Stickin yer ass in the water is a good way to do that, however remember not to lift your board out when you plunk your body into the water. Another way to get back under control if you do get too much board speed is to turn your board downwind and fly under the kite (bring kite up to neutral as you go downwind). You will pick up a little speed and lose ground but once under the kite you can reset your board angle and edge the kite down and out to the side (keep board speed down). One thing to keep in mind is not to bring the kite up too fast or you'll lift off, just nice and easy and you'll be back under control pronto.

Have fun!!!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!