Walk of Shame?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
mortontoemike

Walk of Shame?

Post by mortontoemike »

The last time I was out at Nitinat I had a discussion with Janet Windsurfish about the "Walk of Shame". She suggested that we shredders should call it something different since it seems to be part of the learning process - windsurf OR kite. My variant of the "Walk" was to try to pry my sail off of the pier at Jericho after it got pinned by the wind years ago. The "Pry of Shame" I suppose.

According to the Oracle (aka Google)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
walk of shame
the walk across campus in the same clothes as yesterday after you slept with someone and spent the night in their dorm room
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This doesn't sound too shameful to me either. Sounds like the Walk of Conquest!

Anyway, I am making a plea for the "Walk of Shame" to be renamed "The Walk of Learning" or the "Walk of Enlightenment" but not "The Walk of Shame" cause there is nothing shameful about learning to ride on the water without a motor!
I wish my TOW was longer!
JL

Post by JL »

Sorry..It is 'the walk of shame'. Mine is @ Island view..When windsurfers take up kiting they walk the same 'walk of shame ' they walked as newbie w-surfers.....Another term for us is 'Schlogging' or a 'dog plane'......Almost but not quite!Image
Thermals are good.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Sounds to me like one of those attempts to keep everything politically correct.

No, mate, it is "walk of shame"!

Mine was a few years ago when I drifted down from Jericho Sailing center to the next beach and I had to walk with my gear through Vancouver Falk Festival fair. :lol:

So, suck it up and walk through your fair like the rest of us! :lol:

In my opinion most important part is to remember that embarrassment is a part of the learning process.
Cancer must die!
Windsurfish

Walk of Shame

Post by Windsurfish »

:roll: So who is it that hasn't spent time walking up the beach from the learning process, whether windsurfer or kiter? Isn't the reason we are there in the first place to rise to the challenge, to better our level of ability or to just enjoy the things done with wind power that only happen from lots of humbling steps in the wrong direction? I have spent as much time as the next, probably more, on this incorrectly named walk. It is hard enough to learn either of these sports - do we really think collectively that humiliation or other is a way to convince beginners etc. that what we are passionate about is worth the time spent fumbling? I have spent the past week in Corpus Christi Texas sailing with a wonderful group of sailors - I have not once heard the term "walk of shame". Further, they really get behind the accomplishments and struggles of the newbies. Its about getting out there - I propose "The walk of contemplation" because beginner or not, this is what we all (and I mean all) do when in the situation of being downwind, either the result of skill or wind changes..... Just some thoughts for contemplation on the next walk..... :roll: :roll:
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Politically Correct! Hah! I'm an MCP from way back. I had a lot of walks up the beach. I been to the village to get milk. I been to the fair. I've swum my board from way out. I've begged god to spare me from being run over by large ships while paddling madly toward the event site.

I just didn't feel shame. Pissed, nettled, peeved, irritated, riled, annoyed, stung, steamed ... but no shame. I was learning to windsurf!
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

mb wrote:....
I just didn't feel shame. Pissed, nettled, peeved, irritated, riled, annoyed, stung, steamed ... but no shame. I was learning to windsurf!
That's exactly my point. I wouldn't care if people called it "walk of disgrace" of "walk of sucker" or any other, potentially offensive to some , way. I am learning and I don't care.

But locally used term for it is still "walk of shame". And trying to change it sounds to me like one of those Louisiana Court decisions, that from now on technical term "master/slave", widely used in IT industry is no longer proper to use. :shock:

What's next ? Calling "wipeout" "unfortunate unexpected dismounting"? :wink:

P.S. I still don't care how you'll call it. I'm going to call it "wipeout" and WALK OF SHAME :twisted:
Last edited by Russian Dood on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cancer must die!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Who Cares what is called or what others think, just encorage the person to keep on goin and if they are gettin down say ya doin the walk of shame light heartedly, sheesh I did it a nitinaht for two freekin weeks before upwindin, everybodies givin me that all knowin smile as I am walkin back up the beach and it just drove me harder! If your goin to get all uptight about the learnin curve and what others think then you ought to really think about why you are in the sport in the first place in my opinion it should be about you and your enjoyment not what others think or say!.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
The Gman

Post by The Gman »

'Walk of Addiction'

Even after walking upwind after being pummeled/drifted/broken down/embarassed/etc. you still look out at the water and think....
Just one more run. :twisted:
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The walk of shame. Nothing else describes it as well. Also, it motivates you to get beyond that part of the learning curve, that is, until the wind dies on you or you have some disaster, that forces you to once again relive " the walk of shame". It will always be a part of the sport, no matter what level you are at. I say , keep the name, long live the walk of shame.
Last edited by Gareth on Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

So long as its said in fun no one should take offense. You have to acknowledge how frustrating this stage can be (for windsurfers I think many used to give up after a few hours/days of this, before the new wide boards gave newbies the addictive rush of planing) and encourage them that there will be an end! Find out if they are trying to learn to waterstart and there is not enough wind, etc.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Walk of '...???...'

Post by Bobson »

Okay, since there is no wind I'll play :roll: ....What to call the 'WALK'..?? Hmmm..?? My Dad always used to say, 'To each, his own'...which in the new world would be 'To each, his/her own'...which I thought meant let everyone be themselves and don't try to change them. Maybe dear ol' Dad was just babling his regular nonsense after a few scotch's or maybe he was actually trying to teach/coach his precious little fella something meaningful....well, whatever it was....it stuck with me.

I don't try to change you and you don't try to change me. You be You and I'll love you just the same(as long as you don't take my wind) and I'll be Me and we'll get along just fine. :D

I think what I'm trying to say(after a few Voodka and Clamato's 8) ) is that it doesn't matter what you call 'The Walk' .... it is still going to be 'The Walk' and when you walk by me I'm going to give You(as KSD says) some good ol' words of encouragement(whatever I think will give you some more HATE/LOVE or whatever it is that will get you back up the beach to GIVE 'ER SOME MORE!! We are all on the same team and if I want to call it 'The Walk of Pleasure' then let me and I'll let you call it whatever you want and we'll all end up on the beach doing something so fan-flippin-tastic like enjoying a beverage together and making a new friend!!

ps. You can call me walking back whatever you want. I have thick skin! :D
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

OK. Sorry I brought it up!

I like "Walk of Addiction" though ...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

walk? walk where?? Toward what? I don't know what you guys are talking about. Is this some form of fraternity thing? Be clear, damnit! We're sailors, not walkers, what's with the walking?? Okay so we have to walk to the beach, down stairs, through tide pools... to get to the water.....what's the problem with that?

Ya get on the board, ya sail back and forth, ya pack up and go home...I like driving then myself....but if you want to walk, all power to ya.

Some of these threads..... I just don't know. :roll:

Heyyyyyy, my 200th post: Yes, behold the superstar KUS :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey Kus, if I reply to your post six times I'll be at 200 too!

I like "walk of addiction", thats pretty funny.

I think I did more walks of shame along the Nitinat beach "get close to the old boat ramp where its deep, start angling out to miss the flat beside Vics spot" than anyone!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

one perk of being blown way downwind is you can say hi to me! (no shame in that i think)
ill admit that a couple years back when i tried to learn kiting doing those long walks up the beach again was very humbling, but its more of a group shuffle on the busy days and everyones having fun, not really ashamed. i think its mainly called the walk of shame when youve seen your buddys doing it and you want to burn them.