Ukee to Nitinat by boat?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Ukee to Nitinat by boat?

Post by Tsawwassen »

Dreaming of better days and adventures one might have in the future. Has anyone gone from Ukee to Nitinat by boat? If so how long does it take and can you get into the campsite by boat?
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Never heard of anyone doing that from Ukee.

I don't see the point, but maybe to anchor surf outer beaches near Nitinat, but to come from Ukee?? There is plenty of closer surf spots.

It is possible at the right tide and you can easily tie a boat up near the campsite.

There is also a boat launch at Nitinat.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It's a decent huff out to the narrows but not much trouble in summer if the swell is down. Of course all depends on how fast your boat goes and the sea state but we've done 2/3 legs of the trip at about 20 knots and I'm guessing you are looking at 3-4 hours.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

depending where you are journeying from, I'd think Renfrew would be an easier starting point, and safer too, as you are closer to shore/port. Maybe a little under an hour to the entry way.

I've never ventured in, but have heard the tales of the infamous nitinat bar. Even in small swell, with the currents it can be very treacherous. Unsure if it's true, but I recall someone saying that most west coast marine insurance policies specifically exclude crossing it in their coverage.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

redbaron wrote:Never heard of anyone doing that from Ukee.

I don't see the point,
I was just looking at google maps and it looked like it might be a nice adventure. You could get in some fishing , surfing and sailing. If you know of some better spots we'll just have to go there, when the time comes of course, need to get a boat first. :D

nanmoo wrote:It's a decent huff out to the narrows but not much trouble in summer if the swell is down. Of course all depends on how fast your boat goes and the sea state but we've done 2/3 legs of the trip at about 20 knots and I'm guessing you are looking at 3-4 hours.
Thanks Tony, what kind of boat were you on?
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

juandesooka wrote:depending where you are journeying from, I'd think Renfrew would be an easier starting point, and safer too, as you are closer to shore/port. Maybe a little under an hour to the entry way.

I've never ventured in, but have heard the tales of the infamous nitinat bar. Even in small swell, with the currents it can be very treacherous. Unsure if it's true, but I recall someone saying that most west coast marine insurance policies specifically exclude crossing it in their coverage.
Thanks, sounds risky, so maybe not. :o Hopefully I'll have the boat moored in Ukee, that's why I was thinking of that as my starting point.
JL

Post by JL »

Nitinaht: "Please respect our community's wishes to stay safe, we have vulnerable elders and low-immunity community members at Nitinaht Lake. We ask that you do not drive into the community at all to look at the lake, it makes us nervous of vehicle we do not recognize. The park has been blocked with large vehicles to prevent anyone entering the beach area. This is to assist in flattening the curve all provinces are talking about! Klecko Klecko!"
Thermals are good.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

JL wrote:Nitinaht: "Please respect our community's wishes to stay safe, we have vulnerable elders and low-immunity community members at Nitinaht Lake. We ask that you do not drive into the community at all to look at the lake, it makes us nervous of vehicle we do not recognize.
Sorry JL I have no intention of going there now, I haven't left my house in a month. Only dreaming! :D
Tsawwassen wrote:Dreaming of better days and adventures one might have in the future.
JL

Post by JL »

Sorry,
I didn't mean to interupt your dream Dude !!!
Thermals are good.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

JL wrote:Sorry,
I didn't mean to interupt your dream Dude !!!
Crushed it. :lol:
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Fully doable! Just not a casual thing, need to have your wits about you.

Sounds like an awesome adventure. Lots of surf spots I'm sure. Also, for kiting could motor up Alberni inlet to China beach.... pretty solid thermal there too.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

15' with a 50 hp.

The bar is fine if you know what you're doing and you time the tides (and don't try in honking swell). There are always lots of boats coming and going.

It feels exposed on the outside. Ukee to bamfield is easy but choppy and breezy. The next leg we haven't done just explored outside the narrows towards clo-oose.
heffe222

Post by heffe222 »

Under most conditions the safest time to cross a bar is just before high slack tide. Risk goes up as swell increases, and Nitinaht bar has a history as a boat demolisher under certain conditions.
To err is human. To succeed, sublime.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

heffe222 wrote:Under most conditions the safest time to cross a bar is just before high slack tide. Risk goes up as swell increases, and Nitinaht bar has a history as a boat demolisher under certain conditions.
Nice! Think I'll need to get a few more nautical hours in before attempting this.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Good idea to have a buddy boat and/or auxillary power/twin engines.