Wingfoiling

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
smartang

Post by smartang »

So in that video they were using 5m wings and guessing the wind was 12-15kn. But Robert from Blue planet, who is a not a little guy, thought 8 knots would be the low end on his 5.

I'm trying to figure out a big wing to compliment my 4.2m swing. The windrange stated above seems about right. Though, I think a 5m is too close to 4.2. Nothing floats like a swing, but I think the wingspan of a 6m swing would be a bit much for me at 5'10. So it's between a 6m wasp and maybe a 6.4m slingwing v2. Slingwing v2 carries the same wingspan for all their sizes and is apparently lighter than the wasp (heavier than the swing), but the 6.4 won't be out until Aug.

I don't want to be out there holding 9m of cloth. I don't even really want to be out with 6m. And would prefer to be underpowered and force myself to develop better pumping skills. But I'm finding that, just like with kiting, switch pump starts and transitions with zero power in the sail are almost too difficult. For the amount of time I have to wait for a puff on Sproat Lake, I don't want to risk the chance at some sweet silent floating time to try something new.

So I guess it's a big wing.

Any wind range input or from people riding 5-6m wings would be appreciated. Also are 6m wings too much of a handful that it takes away from the freedom of winging.

Other stuff I'm working with:
JP sup foil pro 6'8" (96L) and 7' (115L)
Axis 1020 75cm
Moses 1100 82cm
185lbs
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Hey Smartang, sounds like your light wind conditions and inner dialogue have convinced you to go 6+ even though you not keen on it. I hear you, I never wanted to carry a big wing/sail, still don't and my "big" wing is a Naish 5.3m. I'm frequently around 15+ knot conditions here in Vic so for me it works. I'm actually often wanting a smaller wing, so I'm getting a 3.6 which should cover most of my range of 12-30+ conditions between the 2 wings. I think with your foil (Axis 1020) and a name brand 6+ you should be good to get some flying time and progress. You'll find over time you're much more efficient and could drop down to a 5 something or be good and stay with the 6. There will always be a market for your 6 if you want to sell it later.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

smartang wrote: I don't want to be out there holding 9m of cloth. I don't even really want to be out with 6m. And would prefer to be underpowered and force myself to develop better pumping skills. But I'm finding that, just like with kiting, switch pump starts and transitions with zero power in the sail are almost too difficult. For the amount of time I have to wait for a puff on Sproat Lake, I don't want to risk the chance at some sweet silent floating time to try something new.

So I guess it's a big wing.

Any wind range input or from people riding 5-6m wings would be appreciated. Also are 6m wings too much of a handful that it takes away from the freedom of winging.

Other stuff I'm working with:
JP sup foil pro 6'8" (96L) and 7' (115L)
Axis 1020 75cm
Moses 1100 82cm
185lbs
Counter point to Robin: I am primarily interested in winging on the light wind side. I have a Gong 7m v1 and am thinking of replacing it with an ozone 6m (the Gong v1 is quite floppy and inefficient).

If Sproat Lake is your interest, you will want a big wing for sure and the biggest foil wing you have to maximize lift. My experience is it is easy to spill power and the wing tips don't drag significantly (I am 5'8"). My experience is also: winging SUCKS when you can't get up on foil.

I am experimenting with smaller wings, and had some limited success, but keep coming back to my Maliko 200 (2000cm2), so much lift, just makes it easy. And easy is fun. [the reason i am experimenting smaller is for wave riding, the added acceleration of dropping in makes the Maliko a challenge not to breach...larger wing higher aspect is likely the ticket]
Mrnorthsouth

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

Robin can you comment on which handles you are using on your 5.3 please? I have been using second from the front and back but tried the 3rd briefly yesterday when I was overpowered but felt like I had less control of the wing. Thanks
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Mrnorthsouth wrote:Robin can you comment on which handles you are using on your 5.3 please? I have been using second from the front and back but tried the 3rd briefly yesterday when I was overpowered but felt like I had less control of the wing. Thanks
I almost always use 2 from front and 3 from back. Generally, front hand controls leading edge angle of attack (similiar to windsurf sail), the backhand generally being the "throttle" or power on/off.

Here's a snip from JB (a Naish rep) on Seabreeze.com.au foil forum:
"The Handle thing is an interesting view point. I really like having multiple options for my grip. After quite a few goes now on the wing and getting consistent glides on the foil and riding from super light to heavy winds, I use different handles for the following,

Front hand/arm,
Forward handle - Good for baring away and floating the wing more / running a more over head angle with ease.
Next handle back - Most all-round handle. This balances well with the back hand on the 3rd last handle. It does make the rear hand a little more positive (more powerful back hand feel) and generally where I like to be when nicely powered and reaching.
3rd Handle back - Power position. This tends to put the wing into a more vertical plane. This is good for punching upwind and staying more sheeted on as the straight front arm takes a lot of the load and the back hand just trims.

Back Hand/Arm,
3rd handle from the back - I use this one 90% of the time. It seems to be a good sheeting angle with and compliments the above positions well.
2nd handle from the back - This is only used sometimes, mainly if it is super gusty, I combine this one with the 2nd from he front and have a wide grip. It makes controlling the wing easier while getting flogged by a gnarly gust.
4th handle from the back - I use this sometime s along with the 2nd from the front or absolute front handle when going down wind or when super powered up across or off the wind.
5th Handle forward. I use this for sailing with one arm. The wing balances here relatively well in light air. Helps to get the wing out and clear easily.

So all up, I am using a lot of the options in a variety of different conditions. I can imagine on a long DW'er having the option to get the balance point close to if not perfect a really big thing, as when it neutral it's weightless. and going 10+km would be a dream.

I think some of the battened (non Luff-Strut) wings out there will have trouble covering the same wind range and trim range as the Wing-Surfer. But I am bias
More coming,

regards,

JB "
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
Mrnorthsouth

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:
Mrnorthsouth wrote:Robin can you comment on which handles you are using on your 5.3 please? I have been using second from the front and back but tried the 3rd briefly yesterday when I was overpowered but felt like I had less control of the wing. Thanks
I almost always use 2 from front and 3 from back. Generally, front hand controls leading edge angle of attack (similiar to windsurf sail), the backhand generally being the "throttle" or power on/off.

Here's a snip from JB (a Naish rep) on Seabreeze.com.au foil forum:
"The Handle thing is an interesting view point. I really like having multiple options for my grip. After quite a few goes now on the wing and getting consistent glides on the foil and riding from super light to heavy winds, I use different handles for the following,

Front hand/arm,
Forward handle - Good for baring away and floating the wing more / running a more over head angle with ease.
Next handle back - Most all-round handle. This balances well with the back hand on the 3rd last handle. It does make the rear hand a little more positive (more powerful back hand feel) and generally where I like to be when nicely powered and reaching.
3rd Handle back - Power position. This tends to put the wing into a more vertical plane. This is good for punching upwind and staying more sheeted on as the straight front arm takes a lot of the load and the back hand just trims.

Back Hand/Arm,
3rd handle from the back - I use this one 90% of the time. It seems to be a good sheeting angle with and compliments the above positions well.
2nd handle from the back - This is only used sometimes, mainly if it is super gusty, I combine this one with the 2nd from he front and have a wide grip. It makes controlling the wing easier while getting flogged by a gnarly gust.
4th handle from the back - I use this sometime s along with the 2nd from the front or absolute front handle when going down wind or when super powered up across or off the wind.
5th Handle forward. I use this for sailing with one arm. The wing balances here relatively well in light air. Helps to get the wing out and clear easily.

So all up, I am using a lot of the options in a variety of different conditions. I can imagine on a long DW'er having the option to get the balance point close to if not perfect a really big thing, as when it neutral it's weightless. and going 10+km would be a dream.

I think some of the battened (non Luff-Strut) wings out there will have trouble covering the same wind range and trim range as the Wing-Surfer. But I am bias
More coming,

regards,

JB "
Perfect, thank-you for the reply. I will try out the 2nd from front and 3rd from back combo next time I am out. Good to know about the other options as well.
elt

Post by elt »

Can anyone with an s25 comment on their wings? Are you happy with them? How is it with the window? Does the window feel really flimsy?
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

elt wrote:Can anyone with an s25 comment on their wings? Are you happy with them? How is it with the window? Does the window feel really flimsy?
Very happy with my S25 5.3m, and have a 3.6m on the way. Very nice build quality, great performance. The windows are definitely not flimsy, but Naish screwed up by not informing everyone at the outset to not fold their wings to fit in the back packs. They have since corrected this instruction to have the wing rolled up and put in a bag like a wsurf sailbag they are supplying. Rumor has it some people's windows ended up with pinholes where the folded and crunched them into the packs.
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
elt

Post by elt »

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:
elt wrote:Can anyone with an s25 comment on their wings? Are you happy with them? How is it with the window? Does the window feel really flimsy?
Very happy with my S25 5.3m, and have a 3.6m on the way. Very nice build quality, great performance. The windows are definitely not flimsy, but Naish screwed up by not informing everyone at the outset to not fold their wings to fit in the back packs. They have since corrected this instruction to have the wing rolled up and put in a bag like a wsurf sailbag they are supplying. Rumor has it some people's windows ended up with pinholes where the folded and crunched them into the packs.
Great thanks for the info. I hope mine shows up with the new roll-up bag.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Beautiful drone video of multi discipline down winder!

https://www.facebook.com/808photo.me/vi ... eze.com.au
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

That's rad Robin. Next Gordon's 20+ day, screw the in-shore stuff, let's get out in the strait and play in those rollers!\

Though it does look like a smaller board would make it lot easier, for pumping and quick turns to link bumps. Another thing to work on.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Yep that is cool Robin! Kind of the like the first times we started to see guys doing downwinders on SUPs. This looks like much more fun.
Give'R
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

The GONG HIPE Wing Board is now available online. This looks like a very affordable, packable/travel, compact and stiff inflatable foil board. May cause some consternation in the Wing and SUP world market. Will have to see what real world users and testers say, but it sure looks great. Unlike other GONG boards, you should probably be able to actually get this board shipped here, and for "reasonable" cost, seeing how it packs down into it's own travel rolling backpack. Apparently not available until mid-August, pre-order status.
For example here's an awesome winger "beginner" board 110 litres, 5'3" and about $775 Cdn (no VAT included)!!

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... able-hipe/

Gong is recommending them for almost all foil disciplines (size dependent) wing, sup, kite, surf !! Sorry no track for windsurf :P
Last edited by UnusuallyLargeRobin on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Interesting Robin...I am cautiously optimistic when it comes to this kind of thing. Inflatable SUPs are kinda lame generally, beyond paddling around the lake with the kiddies. But here, it could work ... as the board is irrelevant once you're up (as long as stiff enough). It could also actually be a help above and beyond normal board construction if it is floatier for its given size/volume.

For Gong, note that prices on the site are PLUS VAT ... so for non-EU orders, remove 20% from the prices shown. I ordered a wing from them, this more less paid for the shipping (100E). But note you get dinged with GST/PST on our end, plus ye olde broker fee.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

A detailed discussion about the Gong HIPE board, it's design, function, features, where it fits in the lineup etc, plus some nice video. It apparently has had over 5 months water time testing/refinement (Dec 19') with excellent results so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo