Nitnat rookie

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
BBrown

Nitnat rookie

Post by BBrown »

I have a reservation for Nitnat for the end of the month. I haven't windsurfed in about 10 years but when I did I was regularly at Squamish, Harrison, and Jericho on a big wind day. I will be travelling solo as the wife doesn't want to join.

My question is this. Is Nitnat a user friendly place to sail solo? Is there a safe exit and walk of shame back to the campsite? Any info would be appreciated and if anyone is looking for a sailing buddy July 31 - August 4th, let me know.

Thanks all.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Nitnat rookie

Post by tweezer »

Yes! Friendly and safe. You'll love it!
rsmundell
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rsmundell »

You’re in for a treat. Have fun!
albertaboys

Post by albertaboys »

We should be on site July26-Aug5th in the G7 site. We windsurf too, it is a great place to learn, or relearn...
BBrown

Post by BBrown »

Thanks all for the info!
BBrown

Post by BBrown »

Looking like the gradient may be poor? 5 Degree difference between Tofino and Port Alberni over Sunday and Monday. Can anyone tell me what the gradient should read for a decent wind ( 18 -22 Knots ish)? I will be in site E4 Saturday to Tuesday and hoping the heatwave doesn't shut it down.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I think we look for 8 to 10 degrees for guaranteed wind. The really hot spells do tend to shut things down especially with an easterly flow. But Nitinat will have wind in the summer where there isn't a breath anywhere else, so I wouldn't give up hope.