Nimkish

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Untethered Poodle?

Is DWD aka PD?

KUS. You just need a big fire to scare away the no-see-ums. Lotsa smoke so no vent holes and heaps of wet wood on top. My specialty! HA!
Last edited by mortontoemike on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish my TOW was longer!
Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter »

does buttle lake go off on the same conditions as nimpkish? does anyone know? I'm tempted to maybe try that instead tomorrow just out of curiosity....
mmm wind
JL

Post by JL »

The wind that 'gusts' into the campsite forms a 'rotor' as it rounds the point. It's a nasty piece of work! W-surfing into the bay is O.K. but I wouldn't kite there. My one trip to Nimpkish I was on a 4 M & let go of my rig in the swell ending up with a swim to the end of the lake & a hike of about 2 km complete with 2 creek wades...The access upwind (trail from p. lot down to creek) is in the wind. kind of like launching upwind @ Nitinat..Late sessions are common, fresh water & a great swell...Sun glasses required for those late sessions as you sail right into the west. http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=39
Thermals are good.
ldzielak

Post by ldzielak »

Nimkish is my local spot to kite all summer. I have given up on the crowds at Nitnaht. Kites don't launch at the main bay area, like other have said gust are from 0-40knts+ There are 2 beaches up wind that could be used.

Most of us camp at the Kinman Creek outlet, you have to hike all your geat down. Or stay at the main site and follow the trail up (20min hike). It takes you past both beaches to launch from. This is not a beginner area, unless you have a boat.

Our normal launch at Kinman Creek was remodeled this winter. Huge land slide re-worked the creek and there is a monster log jam on our launch site. If you want to kite with us, be prepared for some clean up work for a few hours pre-wind. I spent 3 hours running a saw in 30C last time out. (Didn't have much energy left to kite with after that one)

NOTE: this launch is big enough for 1 kite rigging at a time only. We all take our turns, pump and wait for the other to launch. Line should only be laid out when launching.

The wind gets funky with in 200 feet of shore, so rig smaller than it feels on shore if in doubt, or watch what we fly. Landing back on the beach can be fun, most times we have 3 people trying to catch the kite, because the gust will take it anywhere. Please lend a hand, don't just expect 1 person to catch a kite.

Later,

Lee
ldzielak

Post by ldzielak »

Todd,

Buttle is way to harder to predict. Haven't caught it right yet.

Lee
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Once again, thanks for all the info. Now it is up to the rest of the party and the forcast to make the decision.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!