GPS Tracks

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
bbthelooper

Re: GPS Tracks

Post by bbthelooper »

I just updated software, but still having the same problem.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks to everyone that is using the GPS track feature and thanks for the feedback =D>

Some notes:

1. It is still a bit buggy, especially for long tracks since it is processing a lot of data and occasionally the server times out. If you upload the track and don't get the final track results page, you can go to Edit (bottom of page) and Save. It should work then. So if it fails then you don't need do a new track upload, instead try to Edit and re-save.

2. If the two Polar plots don't show up then try and wait 5-10 minutes and they should be regenerated automatically.

3. There is now a Publishing option when you do a new track (or Edit an old one). Normally the Access is Public but you can change it to Registered if you want more privacy and don't want to share your location with guests (not logged in).

4. In case you didn't know, you can view the Speed plot and also show the original and smoothed versions:
Screenshot 2022-09-23 115434.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-23 115308.jpg
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Awesome, thanks Dave!
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Has anyone used an Apple Watch SE for recording their GPS tracks? I'm thinking about getting one but not sure if it's worth it?
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by davey_k »

I have used the first gen SE for two years along with the Waterspeed app (with a yearly subscription ~$20/yr). It has worked really well for tracking session GPS.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

davey_k wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:20 pm I have used the first gen SE for two years along with the Waterspeed app (with a yearly subscription ~$20/yr). It has worked really well for tracking session GPS.
Thanks!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

davey_k wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:20 pm I have used the first gen SE for two years along with the Waterspeed app (with a yearly subscription ~$20/yr). It has worked really well for tracking session GPS.
Hey Davey, or anyone else using an Apple watch, what band are you using? I don't want to lose it to the ocean. Do you wear them on top of your wetsuit?
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

Hey Tsawwassen,
I use the stock band and wear it under my wetsuit mostly.
Works ok underneath. Heartrate works better that way too. Probably need to turn off fall protection!! Haven't tried the protective energy shield feature yet. Maybe Sunday?
Mark
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by davey_k »

On my Apple SE first gen, I had the Solo Loop which has no clasp. Really the only way to come off is if the band was torn in half. I usually wear it between my glove and the wrist seal of the wet suit so that I can see the time. Sometimes I wear it under the wrist seal of the wet suit. Never any concern of it falling off.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

davey_k wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:41 pm On my Apple SE first gen, I had the Solo Loop which has no clasp.
tweezer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:33 pm I use the stock band and wear it under my wetsuit mostly.
Thanks guys, I ordered it today.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: GPS Tracks - downwinders

Post by bwd »

Hello:

In anticipation of everyone switching from winging to downwind foiling, I added the Category "Downwind" to the GPS tracks. Feel free to upload your downwind SUP foil GPX files to the website and track your progress.

I also added the stat "Longest Foiling/Planing Segment" which shows your longest segment that you were on foil (time and distance). It may need some tweaking to get it accurate and is based on a speed of 8 kph (4.3 kts).

In this example the person had a glide that lasted for 3min 6sec (no cheating with foil drives lol):
Highrocker
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Highrocker »

Thanks, sir!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Free - Polar Ignite GPS watch

Post by Bobson »

I have a Polar Ignite GPS watch for free if anyone would like to try it out. TunaCan tried it out and I believe it got him hooked on GPS'ing. Comes with a charge cord and watch strap. You will need to use the Polar Flow App which you can download to your phone for free. I use the Strava App (also free) to upload the GPX track to BIGWAVEDAVE but there are multiple Apps you can use. I don't have the user manual for the watch but you can Google it. It's not a fancy watch which is nice to start with as it's pretty easy to turn on/off and download to your phone. pretty much 1 button so easy-peasy!

Once you are done with the watch you can pass it on to the next person who wants to try it.

Foiling got me hooked but looking at my GPS tracks is really cool especially with all the work that's been done on BIGWAVEDAVE as it gives you lots of great information, speed, distance, map tracks, foiling turns etc. All, very, very cool!!

Let me know if you'd like to get hooked on GPS'ing.

BOBSON!!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Highrocker
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Highrocker »

Bob:
If no one else grabs it soon, I'll take it.
I'm using my old bike GPS, but I've never had the best of luck with durability with this new-fangled technology.
I'd rather someone takes it for primary use, but I'll grab it as back up if no one takes the freebie.
Ang