La Ventana

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

La Ventana

Post by slake »

Guess it is an easy jaunt to go there from Vic (and many do), since there is a Thursday direct flight to Los Cabos. Sure would help my glove/hand/forearm issues!! Caveat - I don't know and have never been to LV.

Instead of travelling with gear I was looking at options like - https://www.prowindsurflaventana.com . Otherwise I'd guess a lot of folks stay here - http://bajajoe.com and one could rent gear from https://elevationkiteboarding.com .

Do any wingers who go there for a week or two ever go without their gear? If yes, is there a preference of place to stay? Rent gear from? I'm asking the two above what their setup is. Seems like Pro-Windsurf has a lot of wing foil gear for the people who stay there. Still trying to understand what Elevation has. Back of the envelope prices suggest Pro-Windsurf costs substantial more, else I'm not good at math.

Other nuance - we'd be three: independent winger, just past beginner winger (can foil upwind in 10-20 kts, do s-turns, touchdowns, but not gybing on foil), and beginner winger (been on big vol board 2x, maybe on foil for a second, no upwind skills). Winger = wing foiler and not the s%$t band from the 80's.

I hear LV is busy...with some 400 sailors on the water at a given time. Is it possible to get away from the masses?
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: La Ventana

Post by slake »

I did search on the forum before posting but no luck. After posting this was displayed below:
Screenshot.jpg
I then tried La Ventana Accommodations site:bigwavedave.ca and "La Ventana" site:bigwavedave.ca/forums on google, but no dice. For some reason neither forum, nor google search, landed on those similar topics but somehow the forum picked up on them after I posted. Not sure if there are more similar posts out there, apologies if I'm rehashing old news, although the ones I see are some 9 years old. Thanks.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I have no answers to your questions, but the best way to search the site is here.
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

Thanks Dave, that is great! Found even more forum info on LV. Will use that in the future rather than forum search. For others, if they don't already know, it also accessible through the "+" on the menu at the right, fourth item down.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Yes LV and El Sargento are very busy now. If you are renting a car you can drive upwind (north) to several beaches that are not as busy. I have stayed for 8 years at what they now call La Tuna beach or Palapa Beach or Figtree Beach but it is so busy I won't be staying there anymore. My approach the last few years was to have a first session right when the wind comes up while others might still be scrambling to figure out their day (and it's great foiling not too windy), then a second session at the end of the day but that will likely be busy as often it's busy till 4 ish unless it's a big norte then most are blown off the water and discouraged from the side offshore gusts. The further out you sail the fewer people there are and it's relatively safe due to a huge catchers mit downwind in case of issues getting back. I'm sure Wyatt will have amazing gear but you will have to pay a premium for that. Both Baja Joes and Pro Windsurf are a very close walk on the beach or rd in case you have to use both for all your needs. Wyatt has some great little houses to rent right near the beach and Joes is right on the beach. You might try Palapas Ventana as they are in an ideal location with a semi-private beach for a less crowded sail. I'm not sure if they rent wing gear. Another great option with exclusive beach is Ventana Bay Resort up in El Sargento and you won't have crowds there. There has definitely been a shortage of gear rentals so if you find some book it. It's too bad wing boards are so big for flight packing. That has kept me kiting there the past few years instead of winging. An alternative location is Los Barriles which is also great for winging and not as busy on the water, but the town is more geared for fishing and general Baja vacations but there are kiting/winging facilities. If interested you can check out Exotikite for a contact for questions. This photo gives you an idea of how busy it's gotten in El Sargento at La Tuna which is easy to drive to.
Attachments
La Tuna.jpg
curses - foiled again!