Access to Lake Cowichan Beach

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
Kiterkliff

Access to Lake Cowichan Beach

Post by Kiterkliff »

Here is the link to the beach I found on Lake Cowichan. Works great for kites or windsurfers though its about 900M walk in. Would suck with a windsurf rig. Perfect kite launch though. I have spent about 10 days on it now and its good wind on nice sunny thermal days.

http://members.shaw.ca/cowichanguesthou ... _beach.htm
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

Cool! Thanks for sharing.
What skill level, is this site best suited for?
What happens to the wind after it goes through the funnel?
Can you go downwind?
I think you may have answered these questions before, but I can't remember.
Thanks again.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Nice map :D . I still think despite you being on the other side, you might wanna try one day to sail outta Nixon Creek and the tree planting? area west of Caycuse on the south side of the lake (little nose sticking into the lake 1/2 way between Nixon and end of lake, never been there but looks sweet from other side with beach windline). The wind's always better on the first 1/5 of Cow Lake it seems, good Swell at little Shaw Creek but side-onshore so likely not great for launching kites :?
Check this for Nixon #17
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/rec/maps/s ... rid5-4.htm

8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Kiterkliff

Lake Cow

Post by Kiterkliff »

Thanks KUS will check out the other side for sure. The wind at the launch I mentioned is actually pretty good too. Pretty consistent over the last 10-15 days out there.
The further downwind you go from there the wind starts to gust a bit and by the time you past the mill site its getting pretty dam holey. The most consistent wind I have found is actually right off of the Maple grove campground area. I have done a few downwinders now from the Little shaw area down to Youbou which is a blast.

The launch is easy at the site I mentioned. There is a large bush you can hide your kite behind until launch then just move it out a few feet right in to wind. The best way is a land lauch with kite at the edge of the water.

If your interested in heading out there email me as im there a lot.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

this may happen sooner than you think :D I weigh ~215, people tell me to learn on a 14 and then get a 16 for light winds (will windsurf on windier days). Think that would work at Cow Lake? What do you use there most often? See ya 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Another one is about to get lost in the darkness of the kite shadow.....
Trader :wink:
Cancer must die!
Kiterkliff

The Light

Post by Kiterkliff »

Now that you have taken the red pill KUS dont go through the rabbit hole without a 14-16M Kite. I usually am riding my 13M or my 17 meter on the light days. if your 215 then a 16 might work best for you. With a 16 you would be out most days for sure. BUT a 14 or 12 would be better for Nit depends where you go mostly. If your at the lake often and want to get out give me a shout. I'v got a boat thats great for chasing down wayward kiters.......when it starts.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

KUS wrote:... I weigh ~215, people tell me to learn on a 14 and then get a 16 for light winds (will windsurf on windier days)...
IMO, you will learn easier on the 16 (as long as the wind is not nuking) and you will also get more use out of it since you will be windsurfing on the windier days.

Once you know what you are doing, you will be able to handle a 16 in over 20 knots, so it will take you right to your windsufing winds. But that is just my thoughts ;)

Good Luck with the learning!
Vive et Ama
Kiterkliff

Other side

Post by Kiterkliff »

Hey KUS i checked out that other launch you mentioned. Iffy launch on your own but decent place to Kite.......until the wind died and had to bob around in the water a while until I managed to hitch a ride with a passing boat. Would be a wicked downwinder all the way to Youbou!!!!