RV board and gear racks.

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
TURTLE

RV board and gear racks.

Post by TURTLE »

Does anyone have rack designs they prefer for an RV.

I have a camper for the back of my truck and I am wanting to mount some board and sail racks to my canoe/roof racks.

Suggestions? I am searching the net for ideas.
TURTLE

Gear on RV Roof rack

Post by TURTLE »

I am now thinking the easy solution is to get a boom bag, a sail bag and padded foam for the racks.

I am not sure how all this gear would be out in the elements for a month.
JustGiver

rv racks

Post by JustGiver »

Anyone ever seen seat belt like material used to attach board bags too? Hang it from the side of the camper and attach it on either end (roof and bottom). Don't know if it would work but it might be a really cheep way and convenient too...
dwd

Post by dwd »

turtleian you should go to nitinat and see what everyone else has setup, or nimpkish, since thats RV land! ill say from experience that loading gear onto a camper top is a big pain in the butt and everything is safer jammed inside anyway, just pull it all out when you reach your destination. There are some big bags on the market that hold masts, sails and booms but the more stuff that goes in the bag the harder it is to lift onto the roof. you wont need to pad the racks if you just put the GO board EVA side down. good luck, see ya @ the lake d
TURTLE

Racks

Post by TURTLE »

I don't usually travel long distances and therefore spending $600 on a box for the roof doesn't make sense(I could buy another board for that price).

I love the seat belt idea. They sure are a lot more durable than some of that material that rots in the sun in less than 2 years.

Dwd, I had that idea to go to Nitnat to look for designs, but I haven't been able to make it until now. I brought a sketch book this trip and now I have ideas to boot. I have a swivel rack on my camper that comes down(I have a canoe mounted on one side). I am considering using a golf bag to place the masts into at the back (and tie the front of the masts down). This is where I may use the seat belt idea. I kind of like the PVC mast holders too. I am not sure what they are worth.

I still want to pad the GO against the rack because I sure would hate to wreck the deck. People are using the water noodles (kids toys) to wrap the rack tubing.

I am thinking about the quiver or gear bag...I just need some pricing and where to buy as a possible option. Cheap is good as I will likely use this on this trip and that is it. There are 4 adults sharing a camper going to Banff and climbing over the gear is not practical this time.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Windance is closing out sail/quiver bags for about 39 bucks and they hold about six sails. Also no shortage of pimped out rack systems on the back of various mohos, the best of which seemd to plug into the trailer hitch. The boards then stood upright in a rack system and could be pulled off individually, not to mention easily, as nothing sucks more than trying to wrangle a board twenety feet off the ground, especially when the wind is blowing. These racks were also off-set so as not to impede getting in and out of the camper via the back door. I also saw a dude with oversized pvc tubing to store his masts in and these hung down under the sides of the camper. Cool system.
Just Giver

more explainin of the seat belt idea

Post by Just Giver »

Here's a bit more explanation on what I was thinking of. Too bad I don't have an rv to try this out on :D

1) Sew two pieces of seat belt to encircle either end of a board bag. For the zipper end, cut the seat belt so that one piece is used for each side of the board bag

2) You could also add foam and even chain into the fray to protect and secure your board even more

3) now that you've built to encircling rings around your board bag, you need to devise a way to easily attach the two ends of each of your two seatbelt craddles to the vehicle. I think clips or metal rings with snaps or something like that would work. Even locks might work too

4) For the rv or any other vehicle, these boards could be clipped on to existing racks, hung from chain, strong rope, bolted on u-clips etc.
TURTLE

Thanks

Post by TURTLE »

Great ideas. I am on it...
windsurf247

rv rack

Post by windsurf247 »

Hey Turtle. I've got a Dakine quiver bag you can have for $40. The zippers are pooched but the bag still works.
I've still got that small board too if you want to try it out.
PM me if you're interested.
JustGiver

thread ideas

Post by JustGiver »

For thread I usually use dental floss. The stuff is strong and doesn't wear out. I used to sew treeplanting bags with the stuff and never had any issues.
TURTLE

Hey Windsurf 247

Post by TURTLE »

Could you give me a contact # or phone me?

709-5541

I have the metal racks on the camper, they are painted. I have those noodles to protect the boards. I am interested in that bag.

soon... I am heading off to the interior very soon...

ASAP please