hand holes

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
tom

hand holes

Post by tom »

Whats the latest repair method for 'hand holes/blister calous blow outs' to prep for the next sesh, used to use duct tape, any suggestions..
Been a while since I shreaded the hands
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

steer clear of the duct tape, ive heard the glue is toxic, besides its slippery anyway. you may have to invest in some gloves.

you must have had a great weekend!
Last edited by downwind dave on Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlekitegirl

Post by littlekitegirl »

us rock climbing types have been known to use clear nailpolish (although I'm not sure I'd recommend it).

Sports tape is usually preferred, probably won't stay on long after getting wet... but may be worth a try
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Prevention:

Get short days in to condition hands, toughen up and wear evenly the calluses.
Sand off callusses as these are tough but create blisters beside them by pressure from boom grips.
I always use waterproof sunscreen liberally on hands to soften skin and whatever else it does, it really works, give it a try.

AVOID esp. older Chinook booms!! That's what has ALWAYS done it to me, I can sail all the other brands and no such side effect!

Gloves suck but are a last resort and usually hurt right through anyhow, only good for prevention not once you gottem :(

Once you gottem:

Do not use duct tape (as per DWD)
Waterproof straight medical tape (without gauze) right overtop of blisters works for me, esp. around thumbs & fingers (ask for tri-cut tape or elastoplast waterproof stuff), use only one layer! keep it as thin as possible. Waterproof tape is not slippery like duct or electrical tape :)
Use crazy glue on blisters that rip open
Apparently a new liquid bandaid is out there, haven't tried it but with tape on top that sounds like the ticket
Treat with polysporin regularly even during the day, way speeds the healing (and a must in the Gorge!! :evil: )

Hope some of this helps. 8)
Last edited by KUS on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Ouchies...

Post by Bobson »

Elastoplast bandaids with electrical tape reinforcement is my preferred choice and I have very softie hands and feet!! :?
Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Used to get hands ripped apart as well after the 8 hr sess'. Invest in some Dakine Full finger sailing gloves around 30 bucks. Never tear and they look stylish plus they have more grip than you need. No im not a Dakine sales Rep.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

crazy glue ® worked gewd for me
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

I have always used cycling gloves - breathable, light, and keeps me on the water. From Aug. 5 - 8th, I logged a total of 8 + 7 + 7.5 + 6 hours of planing TOW from 6.0 m2 to 5.0 m2 sailing. Big smiles all around as I was still able to hold onto my beer can(s) at the end of the day!