La Ventana, Baja 2005 accomodation recommendations?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Bradak

La Ventana, Baja 2005 accomodation recommendations?

Post by Bradak »

Hi there,
My wife, toddler and I are planning on making a trip to La Ventana this November. I will be kiting and my wife and 20 month old daughter will be sticking to beach activities.

Please, can anyone give us some recommendations on accomodations? We would like a cabina or room. We have tried to book with Baja Joe's but they do not want kids under 4years. We are currently trying for Pelican Reef.

Thanks,
Brad
bean

Post by bean »

I stayed at Captain Kirk's two years ago and had a great time for an unreal price - 2 for 1. They have campers but they're clean, comfortable, and have kitchens. As I recall, Pelican Reef is right next door and it's pretty swanky with matching clientelle. I found the Kirk's crowd a friendly fun scene. There's a website out there somewhere.

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.

Post by Guest »

I would suggest that you try Ventana Windsurfing or Mr Bill's up in in El Sargento. I did hear a few complaints coming from guests at the Pelican Reef. The guy said the owner's were just on his case too much, simple stuff over, the phone, internet use and the common area. He just moved out.
Bradak

Post by Bradak »

Would Mr. Bill be "Ventana Bay Resort" ? www.ventanabay.com

How far of a walk is he from Baja Joe's?

Thanks
Anonymous wrote:I would suggest that you try Ventana Windsurfing or Mr Bill's up in in El Sargento. I did hear a few complaints coming from guests at the Pelican Reef. The guy said the owner's were just on his case too much, simple stuff over, the phone, internet use and the common area. He just moved out.

Post by Guest »

Mr Bill's is 4 or 5 kms north of Baja Joe's past El Sargento and is almost too far away from most of the other food places. It's nice if you don't want to go anywhere else. Ventana windsurfing is right next to Joe's probably as nice a place as any.

http://www.ventana-windsurf.com/accommo ... index.html

You also could stay in La Paz and drive out in a rental car for sailing.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I was visiting Cptn Kirk's place http://www.captainkirks.com/ in I think 2000 and it sure is a nice spot and higher off the beach so you can get outta da wind & blowing sand, your wife WILL appreciate that for sure! Their campers are clean and the atmosphere is pretty relaxed, new common building being constructed then and it looked sweet; excellent windline right at smallish beach and decent gear to choose from (windsurfing stuff that is, not sure about kites, imagine similar). And it's close to general beach so you can socialize with others as well.
Never forget them cuz I dropped by ID in their trailer on my first day in Mexico! :shock: What a nightmare in the making but they found it and I got it back :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Bradak

Post by Bradak »

Thank you all for your comments. So far only Mr.Bill has offered accomodations to us. The only negative thing I see with Mr.Bill's Ventana Bay Resort is it is a few miles from the action. Otherwise his facilities and prices are attracting us. We probably will try him out.

I imagine a taxi can be arranged for quick transport to the populous.

Brad
weatherweannie

La Ventana accomodation

Post by weatherweannie »

We stayed at Mr Bills 2 years ago with my 3 kids (at the time they were 1, 3 and 5). Its beautiful up there... very nice accomadation. Definitely more isolated than in La Ventana...but its nice and quiet. All your gear is there too. Only critisism we had was that the meals that were included were rather late for our kids (around 2:30 pm for lunch and late dinners). But the food was good. We'd go back. Renting at Capt Kirks is also a great option. Probabably a lot cheaper and you're a little closer to everything. There is good restaurants walking distance too.
Bradak

Post by Bradak »

Thank you for the comments on Mr. Bills. I reserved there a few weeks ago. It's the distance from restaurants that has me a bit worried, as we are not renting a car. Hopefully, we can arrange a taxi every other day or so.
weathereweannie

Post by weathereweannie »

When we were there the dinners were quite late and the odd night the kitchen was closed. However I am sure if he knows people are expecting dinner he'll have the girls in the kitchen. Also, the dinners weren't included in the price. Only lunch and breakfast. We never ate dinner there but I understand they were quite good, if you didn't mind being on their schedule. The lunches were often served during prime sailing time, which kind of irked us too... but they were yummy. The girls there are very friendly. We would have been lost without our rental car as we found ourselves picking up groceries to supplement, not to mention we had our dinners out. There are some great taco stands, fresh fish places a short drive away and much less expensive. Also it enabled us to expore the other accomodations available in La Ventana more easily. (Of course we ended up camping last year, and we'll probably do the same this year) Good luck. If nothing else you can count on a beautiful, quiet location. The bungalows he has built are really quite something.