Where to go in December - all inclusive place for a week

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Where to go in December - all inclusive place for a week

Post by SisterGoldenHairSurprise »

Hi, I need suggestions on a decent place (and reasonably priced) to go for a week at Christmas. I am going with people who don't windsurf or kiteboard (sad, but true) so other activiites need to be available. I need windurfing equipment for rent/use and possibly kiteboarding lessons - Baja?
jjjim

Post by jjjim »

sounds like Hawaii.
bean

Post by bean »

yeah, I proposed a family trip to Baja but when we looked into it we found that there's a lot less to do for non-windies. Maui rules!

Isn't Maui a bit on the steep side of the $$$$?
bean

Post by bean »

Yes, particularly over the holidays it probably will be pretty pricey for flights and accomodations. It is also possible to get skunked in Maui in the winter - I know someone who got zero out of ten sailing days in january one year. I think La Ventana in Baja is more reliable wind-wise and mucho cheaper.
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

one :!: week, all inclusive :!: , in December?? :!: :!:

No matter where you head, it'll be huge coin just cuz of airfare. Rent a nice room in Tofino with a fireplace, take your drysuit and hat and hope for a storm.

Even Baja is hit and miss in December and it's NOT warm, $700 per US for airfare. I'd say Maui but then again, there's travel agents....

More importantly, what's the origin of "sistergoldenhairsurprise"? 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

As a fortunate one who has business in Hawaii in December I have been able to segway that into a week on Maui where a few days on the board are at the top of my list of things to do. Westjet has flights for about $700 return at the moment. Not bad really. Condos, one bedroom, are in the $140 - $160US range per night (Cheaper than a night at Whistler at the same time). Car rental, a must, is more than I expected, about $250 - $300/week.
Last edited by mortontoemike on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish my TOW was longer!
PhDewd

Post by PhDewd »

Sun, Wind, Cheap, Family, All-inclusive?? Wow - let us know where! Seriously though - maybe try Margarita in Venezuela, only one I know where all 5 might come together. Maui no ka oi - NOT! in December, skunked 13 of 15 days there one year, about 5 sailable of 14 days another, best was around 15 good sailable of 31 days, not cheap but good golf and snorkeling.
Geoff
Tobago in December! Yesss!
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Marcus,
More importantly, what's the origin of "sistergoldenhairsurprise".
The origin? America.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Last time I was in Maui in December I got in 3 days of 5.5 - 6.0 sailing in at Kanaha. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I have also been to Bonaire on a windsurfing excusrion. Nice sailing, well, a little boring but good for learning. If you get skunked, it's probably better to get skunked in Hawaii where there are lots of other things to do. The airfare has to be cheaper to Hawaii than Venezuela from Vancouver.

How about Costa Rica? Anyone have first hand windsurfing experience there?

"I ain't ready for the altar"
I wish my TOW was longer!
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Check Out Playa Del Carmen South of Cancun, plus all the other all-inclusives further south. Xahel etc.

15 - 20 knots winds several times a week. mostly flat and choppy water with a local kiting presence.

Ruins at Tulum and elsewhere, snorkelling in the ocean and cenotes (caves with stalagtites etc.) Wildlife touers, Theme parks for kids if you're into that. Very nice beaches too.

All inclusives there are cheap plus you can get flights included.
Signature Block.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I don't know if they rent windsurfers but you can take kitesurfing lessons at Ikarus kiteboarding in Playa del Carmen.
Signature Block.
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Thank you Matt . . . that sounds very good.

"but I do believe there's times when a woman sure can be a friend of mine"
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

By The Way I really like the band America too ...
Signature Block.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

I agree with Mattdog. Yucatan of Mexico for sure (playa del carmen etc.) ask Tam and Ger about that. Lots of good airfare deals.

Or, if you are really adventurous, try Brazil if you have tons of cash for flights over the holidays!

Good luck,
Paul
Vive et Ama