On Site Reports using your Cell Phone

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

On Site Reports using your Cell Phone

Post by bwd »

For those with cell phones that have a web browsing feature, you can now post On Site Reports (OSRs) to the messageboard. If a few people participate it could be a good addition to the website.

On your phone, go to this address
bigwavedave.ca/osr.wml

You should see something like this, depending on your phone:

Here's a description of the fields:
Name: type in your name here.

Site: select your site. Default should be IV. If you select "None" then the Site, Wind Direction and Windspeed menu items won't show in your message. Only the extra text you type in the Message box will show up. Use this just to post to the messageboard when it's not an OSR.

Dir: Select the wind direction, default should be SE.

Wind: Select the wind, default should be 10-15. If you enter "other" then you can put a custom value in the Message instead.

Message: Enter any extra info - size of kite/sail, wind gusty etc
Hit Post, then it should go to a page showing that the message was sent, with some links to other WAP enabled pages on the website (Latest Tables, weather stations). The message gets posted on the Messageboard showing that it's an On Site Report.

Give it a try. Comments welcome. Let me know if it works.

Also remember, your cellphone provider charges each time you visit a website. With Telus it's 5c.

dave
Last edited by bwd on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alex
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Alex »

Nice work, as always!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

amazing Dave, really! just add another box for an onsite picture for those with camera cell phones and we'd be ultra in business!! 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks Dave.....Even I could figure it out. !!! I can see eventually we all will pack water proof video phones !!! If any non cell phone types are interested google 'solo'....Free text messaging/web browsing & no contract...(Thank you 'swissmatt'.) http://www.solomobile.ca/Plans-Features/Why-Solo.aspx
Last edited by JL on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

photo upload

Post by bwd »

KUS wrote:amazing Dave, really! just add another box for an onsite picture for those with camera cell phones and we'd be ultra in business!! 8)
Thanks for the comments. It's not so easy to upload photos or else I'd do it. There is a modification available to the Gallery that might work for cell phone picture upload, but I decided not to spend time on it. Basically the cell phone photo quality is fairly poor and a description of the conditions might be better then a photo...maybe in the future I can look into this.
dave
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

cell phone onsite reports...

Post by Bobson »

That is truely wonderful BWD!!
This site never stops getting better!!
:D :D
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thursday February 02, 2006 2:22:21PM
Kus- Re: Onsite Reports: so it seems that unless you actually select a site (and don't choose "other") the posting will read like a regular post even if you select windspeeds....there is at this point no way to select "other" type in your "place" and then report winds, fyi. Will test again later for the 30-40kn thing

Thursday February 02, 2006 2:49:21PM
Bwd: Thanks for testing it out Kus. That was sort of by design - if you put 'None' for the site then I don't use any of the direction or windspeed entries and don't add OSR! so people could use it to do regular posts. But maybe thats confusing. Anyway, if you have Firefox installed you can install a plugin: http://wmlbrowser.mozdev.org/installati ... owser.html

and then in Firefox go to http://bigwavedave.ca/osr_test.wml and then view http://bigwavedave.ca/osr_test.htm to see the results. Cheaper, feedback welcome on how to redesign...maybe we just need an 'Other' field for the Site and leave 'None' if you want to do a regular post?