Nitinat Sauna removal?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
batman

Nitinat Sauna removal?

Post by batman »

Just wondering if the sauna at Nitinat has been removed from the beach and put away for the winter. It would be a shame to have it destroyed by another winter storm.
keep your tips up.

Post by Guest »

Oh yeah
last sept they talked about that as prepare for that so wonder did they do that yet ? i hope it done ! :roll:
en

yep the sauna has been removed.

Post by en »

It was a beautiful sunny saturday in October when LIndsey, Scott, Kristen and Myself, dismantaled, cleaned up all the garbage and loaded the sauna into my truck. It took about 6 hours, and Scott even got out on his 16m for a quick session. The sauna dident make it to its winter home without a quick trip to Tofino first. People at the Bella pacifica campgound in tofino thought we were pretty weird driving around with a very stinky sweat shack inthe back of the truck! The "NEW" sauna for next spring should be even better. Hopefully someone has some ideas and is willing to help because I suck at building! See u next spring. Ian Wilkins
batman

Post by batman »

Nice. Way to go you guys. Much good sauna karma should flow your way. I'd be happy to help reconstruct in the spring. Al.
keep your tips up.
albertaboys

Post by albertaboys »

Ian,

We'll be out the week before the Aug long weekend, If you need help again in 06.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Sauna

Post by Bobson »

Well I'm definitely in for helping Sauna building as I've never actually been in the sauna. Yes, it's true, never. I'm really, really looking forward to a trip in there after sailing in my speedo early in the summer.

I'm not a great builder but am strong like bull so if you tell me what is needed and give me a hammer...???

I'm thinking the earlier the better to be able to warm up while the air temps are still a little chilly....?? :D
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

concur, ya need the sauna in March-May, who's got the parts? I'm in for early construction in March 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Yup, March would be awsome, especially if it would be fired up mid afternoon as the lake is still got some serious nip in it. However, it can still flood out there in March, so picking a location high up on the beach yet not directly under the canopy of trees would be great. I myself would love to help out in the reconstruction as I missed helping build it last summer. Give me a shout Ian if you need a had with haulin stuff or supplies and I'll see what I can do.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
ridelikehell

Post by ridelikehell »

hey dale, it's edmonton chris. what's new dude? anyone have any idea what kind of shape the campsite is currently in? One of the coolest things about nitinaht is that the beach is never the same 2 years in a row.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hey chris, yup once again the seasons have had their magic effect on the beach. I have yet to venture out, but talking with some from the village, there has been some movement of the logs, however the big spruce at the east end of the beach hasn't moved. I am planning to start heading out in March so will keep ya posted.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Sauna anew

Post by KUS »

Hey sweaty Nat Lovers-

typing this in stages as I lost my last composition, alas here it is again:

The two swiss guys Peter and Rolf and I unwrapped the very carefully and neatly put away sauna parts and dragged them to the beach on Friday. Despite the closure we managed to spend a day there in light winds with sun constructively (very much so :lol: I kill me). After much triple A minded discussion about it's design and potential fit of walls with somewhat suspect instructions marked, we managed to assemble things in a plumb and as square as possible way :roll: :P The logs had been moved up the beach so the new spot is a bit higher up the gravel. The fasteners were nowhere to be found but we managed to unearth a box of 2.5 inch robby screws and my rechargable drill lasted the whole day luckily. Rolf & Pete's backs will not be the same after lifting the stove over the 4' log.....my herniated disc and I watched in awe :shock:
The thing is not very much up to code but at least level and assembled. For those intending to heat things up a bit (hopefully shortly :twisted:) things still missing are: poly/tarp for both inside and outside wraps (staple hammer would be helpful), a few more screws for roof joists, hinges for the door, roofing fasteners for the roofing felt and the skylight (which I assumed someone has at home). We couldn't figure the exact configuration of the benches and cedar plank floor so we left that to those better in the know :wink:

It was great to again read all the graffiti and see the drawings, hope to add a bit of sweat to things in days to come. Welcome to another year of hot fun at the lake 8)
Attachments
IMG_7186.JPG
IMG_7186.JPG (83.53 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
Last edited by KUS on Mon May 14, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

albertaboys

Nitinat Sauna removal?

Post by albertaboys »

It's great to hear that the sauna made it, with the storms, I think last
year Ian took it out to ensure that it wouldn't get damaged. It's always a good way to end a windtastic day. We have often spitballed the idea of a hydraulic ram in the river to pump fresh water to the sauna stove, heat it to have a hot tub....
Windsurfish

Thanks to the Swiss Construction Team!!!

Post by Windsurfish »

Hi Peter/Rolf,

Thanks for contributing to a successful sauna season!!!

Chris :)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Please provide a Sauna update to all when the keeper of the skylight, the hinger of doors and the stapler of the poly have completed their tasks :twisted: or this way people will know what else it needs to be functional. Perhaps this was already achieved this opening weekend :?: 8) Today would have been a great day for it to hang in the sauna & watch the drizzle in warmth :P
If anyone is thinking enhancements, framing in a double pane window toward the lake would be awesome and using a surfboard for a door :lol: :roll: A gutter and rain barrel for collecting sauna water too :idea: Some other ideas for hottub incorporation and more mobility for winter storage/ski area use below :lol:
Attachments
Nitinat sauna3.jpg
Nitinat sauna3.jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Nitinat sauna2.jpg
Nitinat sauna2.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Nitinat sauna.jpg
Nitinat sauna.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Wish less, sail more!!