let me introduce myself...

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Medivixen

let me introduce myself...

Post by Medivixen »

Thought I would start a thread all for myself. :)
My name is Terese, I am 22 F.
I have just recently moved to Victoria from the prairies and am really interested in Kiteboarding as a new hobbie. I had never heard of it before until I seen some people doing it so I really dont have any clue where I should start.
Is there different sizes of boards and kites?
What is a good size to get? Does it make a difference between males and females regarding the size of the boards and kites?
Is it hard to learn and physically hard to do?
What is the cost of equipments, and should you go new or used?
What are best times of the year to go in?
Should I spend the money and take actual lessons or read up and watch videos be good enough?
I probably have more but I think that is enough for the moment.
Thanks for all your help.
TK

Post by Guest »

Take Lessons bro so you do not smash yourself or someone else
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

Look here...
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewto ... =8149#8149
And here...
http://kiteforum.tv for a visual.
And here...
http://strongkiteboarding.com for lessons
It's a whole lot of fun, and there is an ever growing group of girls that do it.
Just please be safe, for your benifit and ours. :D

Post by Guest »

Hi Terese,

You are best off taking a lesson first before you buy gear. You will see how you like it and then see about buying some gear. The instructor should have some good advice for you on gear and might even have some. I would go for used gear at first since it is less than half the price of new.

It is never advisable to try kitesuyring without lessons first since its is an Extremely dangerous sport. Quite a few people die each year in this sport. Many of the videos you see are made in very safe launching spots, typically non-existent here (except Long Beach).

For lessons here you have to wait until May when it warms up. Some lessons are given at Nitinat Lake which may be the safest spot around for lessons. Alternately you can go somewhere south and get a certified IKO instructor to provide lessons. You might want to make sure your instructor has liability insurance in case you become disabled in the process.

Good Luck

Post by Guest »

Also look for an IKO (international kiteboarding organization), or PASA certified instructor.

Post by Guest »

Those 2 guests were me ! :)
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Crikey, I keep logging on What's happening. Me damn it.
Signature Block.
colin

Post by colin »

as far a phsically i think everyone is capable of kiteboarding. it is a sport which requires your core strength so when you start you will begin to develop some serious smoach muscels, its not an erobic excercise. once you develop technique you will be able to go for hours.
kite+waves=!
STD

new kook

Post by STD »

check out the forum...on this web page....schools, gear for sale
asscrack

Learning to kitesurf

Post by asscrack »

Sadly,Victoria is not the best place to learn this sport.As a matter of fact it can be the worst.During the summer months,Nitnat lake is suitable,only if you have Qualified instruction.Most people see the kitesurfers on the water,and think that this may be the sport for them.Important things to consider are: Am I a good swimmer?{Ocean versus Lake}Do I want to challange the elements?{West coast winds can be unpredictable}Am I physically able?{You do have to be in reasonably good shape}How are my communication skills?{Even though you are out there on your own,you need to be a team player.listen to local advise,because you do need local help.At every level.}Because this is a multi diamentional sport,you also need good apptitude,as well as attitude.{Which is everything,by the way.}If you have these qualities,then you are ready.Watch video's,read information,talk to as many people as possible involved in the sport.And get Qualified instruction.Special equipment is needed to learn correctly,to prevent accidents to yourself and the local population.{Accidents are the greatest fear of all locals,they could be closed down by officials,at thier local spots.}That's about all for now.Cheers.Be safe.May the wind be kind. Warm water's of the Carribean are an excellant spot to learn,qualified instruction via >Senior Wilson Taverar recommended.Dominicana,Kite Beach Cabarete.On Vancouver Island>Senior Dwayne Strongkiteboarding. :roll:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hey Terese,

I don't know what kind of moola you got to spend for this sport, lessons of course are best as stated above as not only do you get proper knowledge, but you also get to see if you like the sport before spending a good chunk of cash on gear. With that said, hang out at the local spots, get to know the people, as Asscrack said, attidude is everything, most people I know that kite in Victoria are very friendly and happy to share information, so ask questions and watch. One thing to keep in mind while at the beach is that people are ther to kite, so be respectfull of their wish to go out and play, in other words, if they are rigging up their gear, maybe go talk to someone not riggin up, or just coming off the water. You can gain alot of information just watching what is goin on. For me the experience of kiteboarding has been awsome, but also the time spent on the beach with good people has been just as rewarding.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Medivixen

Post by Medivixen »

thanks for all the advice. I think the route I will be going is to get some sort of lessons. I will have to do some more research and talk to people about where to get the lessons from.
I guess I will try and get down to the beach and watch more and perhaps talk to the Kiteboarders out there.
Its harder for me since I really dont know anyone here in Vic. Havent met alot of people here yet, but getting into a sport like this I am sure I will make some good contacts and friends.
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

I have found that kiting has the friendliest people of any sport. :D I think partly because we had to teach each other in the begining, and I think because of that. We realized the more we share with each other the safer we are. And more fun we can have.
Plus the need for a launch and a land once in a while.
(not me, I started just as lessons were becoming available, but chose not to go for them and paid just like all before me :oops: )

Like kitesurferdale said if you approach almost any of us at the right time, we'll be happy to pass on what a new person should know based on what we have learned.
I think good PR is part of the deal to, as this sport draws alot of attention on the beach, and there is always someone asking you something.
Like... Is that hard? How much? How big is that? :shock: :roll:
You'll know everybody before you know it, if you keep comming to the beach.

Post by Guest »

From: http://www.ikiteboarding.com/kiteboardi ... -them.aspx

Kiteboarding Lessons : 10 reasons why you should take them

18 Oct 2005

To take kiteboarding lessons or not is a question that pops up all the time. The fact of the matter is there is no question. Kiteboarding lessons are a must. Here are 10 reasons why you should take kiteboarding lessons :

1) Safety
Kiteboarding is a dangerous sport. Taking lessons will familiarize you with the safety aspects of the sport and how your equipment works. Knowing this means a safer experience for yourself and those around you.

2) Jumpstart your learning experience
Why take months to learn kiteboarding when you can be up and riding in as quick as a few hours? The quickest way to get on the water is to invest in kiteboarding lessons. Kiteboarding instructors use proved teaching methods that will get you on the water in no time.

3) Save Money
A kiteboarding rig can cost anywhere from $2000 and upwards. That's a lot of money to spend if you're not sure if this sport is for you. Kiteboarding lessons could cost in the region of $150, which is cheap in comparison to spending $2000. Taking kiteboarding lessons will give you an idea of if the sport is for you or not.

4) Trash someone else's gear
The first few hours on a kite you are sure to give your kite a decent beating as you will be dropping it constantly. If you take lessons you get to use school equipment, which means you don't have to worry about dropping the kite.

5) Meet other kiteboarders
There's nothing more intimidating than starting a new sport without knowing anyone. Kiteboarding schools are a great place to meet other beginners just like you. Meet other beginners and practice kiteboarding with them once you're done with the lessons.

6) Get cheaper gear
Most kiteboarding schools have great beginners packages available to students. These packages are often way cheaper than what you will find at a normal kiteboarding shop.

7) Knowledge
You didn't think you can start kiteboarding by reading your kite manual or browsing the net did you? No book or site can replace one on one instruction. Kiteboarding lessons will teach you valuable knowledge such as how to rig your lines, how to self launch your kite, how to relaunch your kite, how to kite safely, how to go upwind, etc.

8) Learn in safe conditions
If you start by yourself you will have no idea what kind of condtions are safe to learn in. How would you know if the wind is too strong, or even how to read the wind? Your kiteboarding instructor will take you to a beginner-safe beach that will make your learning experience safe and pleasant.

9) Try out different gear
Most kiteboarding shops have a huge range of kiteboarding gear that is ready to try. Taking a kiteboarding lesson will give you the opportunity to try a wide range of gear before you buy.

10) Peace of mind
Taking kiteboarding lessons means a kiteboarding instructor is there to help when you need help. If you drop your kite or loose your board they'll be there to help.
Ridelikehell

Post by Ridelikehell »

Hi Terese,
If it ends up being your thing, kiting will change your life forever for the better. Really cool people/places etc. One word of advice is when you buy gear, don't cheap out. You might as well get the best because if you're a kiteboarder you're going to end up living to ride and never having any money anyways. Might as well be broke with great gear!?!? :lol: I'm going to start a new topic with a link to an article I wrote that all the newbies, infact all kiters will hopefully benefit from reading.