Comox Scene

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Kiterkliff

Comox Scene

Post by Kiterkliff »

Hey,
Just bought a house in Cumberland. Whats the scoop on Comox spit? Does the Lake work too (Comox). Other locations close by? Looking forward to getting up there!

C.
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.goosespit.com/ Check out the photos of Nimpkish.
Thermals are good.
globe

Post by globe »

There's been a rumor that the back leg of comox lake goes off in the summer, on a thermal. Apperently it's been kited before by some "ghost kiters"...
I'd definately be interested to know if its true, the problem is access from what I understand.
Dan-o

Post by Dan-o »

Hey Cliff .... drop me an e-mail ( ) and I'll fill you in on a few of the local goodies . ..or whenever you move into town give me a call ( 702-1931 )and we can venture down to the ol Waverly Hotel and tip back a couple of lucky lagers.
SMACK

Comox scene....

Post by SMACK »

Comox lake has a wind called "The Qualicum" and is totally unpredictable when it will come.
Half way down the east side of the lake is an old log sort and at the point there is an old feeder creek. I know it from boy scouts. The wind comes off the Glacier and is a really good spot to chance for "0" wind days. Bring your fishing rod.

My Dad is the president at the rod and gun club and the caretaker there always would call when the wind came up.
Awesome view and camping is free.....
Chase the day, not the dollar.
Kiterkliff

Post by Kiterkliff »

Thanks all,
Will give you a call Dan, generally i'm always good for a beer or three.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Smack: I remember sailing a bit OP on an old One-design at the end of the lake close to town many many years ago. Narrow launch, wouldn't work at all for kites if I remember.

The wind comes off the glacier? That sounds like a true katabatic wind, where a pool of glacier-cooled heavy air suddenly breaks over a slope and pours down the hill and over a lake or out to sea. Usually happens in summer (Jl?). Antactica and Argentina are particularly known for them I think, where they are huge can be well over 60 knots. Its cool that there is one of these on the island! With its own name "The Qualicum". There was a thread on named winds on some windsports sites last year. I didn't know about this backyard one or I would have added it!

Looked up wikepedia and I was essentially right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katabatic The Mistral is the big version in the Med.
Last edited by more force 4 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Pete Evans

Comox Valley Kiteboarders BBQ

Post by Pete Evans »

Hi, there's quite a few kiters around the valley now. I live in Black Creek from June until November. Last year we had a BBQ in July for all our kiters and friends - I hope to host another one at my place this July. Keep an eye on http://www.goosespit.com for details. There's photos on there from last year too. All kiters who might like to travel up for this are welcome, there's lots of space for camping.

I should be back in the valley by June 1st I hope.

Pete
Kiterkliff

Post by Kiterkliff »

Cool! I will be all moved in on Saturday and looking forward to getting on the water! I'm flying the flexifoil strikes.

C.