Where to rent in Kauai

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Hi Ty1,
you would not happen to know anyone renting a room /condo on Kauai?

Chris
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Hey Chris,

Are you going to Kauai to kite? I was there in January. North shore (Hanalei, Princeville) is where you want to be in summer for trade winds.
Signature Block.
Chris

Kauai room

Post by Chris »

How many people do you need the place to accommodate? I can maybe give you some numbers.
Chris
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Yup, kiting I hope, and you already answered my next question (where to go for that). I will be there in October. What is the spot for then?
Chris: I would need room for two adults and one toddler.

Cheers,

Chris
Mattdog wrote:Hey Chris,

Are you going to Kauai to kite? I was there in January. North shore (Hanalei, Princeville) is where you want to be in summer for trade winds.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

In October I'm not sure where's best. South/east shore is best in winter, north shore in summer. North shore is cheaper to rent and I think prettier, more lush, less developed. i could hang out around Hanalei myself, little Hippie town.

We rented a place in the southeast for $450/week big enough for 3. Kiting is great but there are reefs everywhere so you need to be really up on tide heights and wind directions since there are multiple spots best for certain winds. Local kiters are okay but a bit guarded.

Check for accoms:

http://www.vrbo.com
Signature Block.
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Hi Mattdog,
thanks for all the info. I assume it is best to rent a car then. Can I find the place you were staying at in the link you gave? What's the name?

Chrsi
Chris

Kauai

Post by Chris »

http://www.kauaiworld.com/
Check this website for monthly rentals in Classifieds, start calling and you'll find someone sooner or later that will rent to you short term. Vacation rentals are pretty expensive now (not sure what your budget is).
You can stay anywhere from Hanalei to Poipu and be within an hours drive of all the kiting spots (usually less if you can avoid Kapaa traffic rush hours). You get the wind speed and direction from the recorded Lihue airport ATIS (phone number is 246-3707).
Some of the places you will kite are Tunnels (north shore beyond Hanalei), Hanalei Bay itself, Annini, Rock Quarry, the flats in Kapaa and the Golf course close to the playground (Lydgate Park and golf course area.) I found the local kiters very welcoming and helpful (and very good!) Find out where the reefs are from them.
Rent a car when you get there. Dollar has consistantly been the best for us, wheel and deal for the lowest price. (This year we got a minivan for 189 a week!)
Princeville is a nice place to stay and better centered for kiting, Poipu and Koloa are good too especially for family beaches.
It is a beautiful island with amazing beaches, just wish I'd bought property there 20 years ago.

Chris.
foilboy

Re: Kauai

Post by foilboy »

Hi Chris,
thanks a lot. Sounds like I have all the info I need for now.

Chris