UV eye protection

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Joe

UV eye protection

Post by Joe »

What have you found to be the best performing, most comfortable and economically reasonable UV eye protection on the water? Regular sun-glasses just aren't comfortable for me.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hey Joe! A couple months ago, I bought a pair of Sea Specs - polarized glasses specifically made for the world of watersports. I got them online and when they arrived it was immediately obvious they didn't fit over my big nose! (way too much space below the lens). They're brand new, with a snug around-the-head strap, black frames, and if you want to "try before you buy" it's fine with me. (...maybe we can carpool out to Gordo's together someday soon...?)

I'd want something like $65 for them.

Graham.
514-4826
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I don't know if you have to wear contacts but, I wear contacts that claim to block UV (http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/ ... lenses.htm) radiation. In addition I wear a baseball cap under my helmet to shade my eyes from direct sun.
I wish my TOW was longer!
eyeDuck

Post by eyeDuck »

Hi, Joe

You should look into new peformence contact lenses from Nike and B&L they are called SeeMax. I have a pair recently and it is pretty nice since the pupill is fully covered totally eliminate the glare from any direction, no fog....

If your Optometrist do not have them I do and will be Happy to see you for a fitting they can be with or without prescription.

Stephan
littlekitegirl

Post by littlekitegirl »

eyeDuck,

Check your private messages!

LKG
Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Bill Watterson
KC7777

Eye protection

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

At Harrison Lake we sail directly into the sun in the evening. I don't like sunglasses either while sailing, but recently have been using a Gath helmet with a retractable visor that I pull down just far enough to block the sun from hitting my eyes. Works great.
Fish

Post by Fish »

I've tried out the sightmax contacts that I got from eyeDuck (Thanks Stephan - dropped by your storefront to report back a couple times but you wern't in) - they're pretty neat, they feel like you are wearing sunglasses, without the hassle of getting salt spray on lenses, cords to keep them on etc, They definitely cut down the glare.

I tried the green ones, and I wouldn't mind trying a different color lense.

The down sides are - people act wierd around you because you've suddelnly got these big dark somewhat posessed looking :twisted: pupils, and it is really dark when you need to make a quick trip into the nitianat outhouse! :oops:
FISH
littlekitegirl

Post by littlekitegirl »

If anybody else has been wondering, seems the the correct name of these contact lenses is MaxSight... you can google the name and learn what they are all about.

I definitely need to try these.

If nothing else, maybe the 'possessed look' will deter strangers at Cook from asking me if paragliding is easy while I’m rushed to rig my kite & catch the wind!

L
Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Bill Watterson
Fish

Post by Fish »

Thanks for clarifying LKG. I'm sure if you (or whoever else) sends a PM eyeDuck he can fill you in on details.
FISH
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

eyeDuck is definitely the eye expert here.

But here's my 2¢ worth anyway. The UV absorbing properties arise from the polymer, Polymacon, used in a variety of contact lenses. The tint in the Nike/bausch&Lomb "sport" contacts is a dye that filters the visible part of the spectrum and act like driving glasses (www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf5/K050157.pdf ).

I use a Polymacon Multifocal Lens that alows me to read my watch (I'm an old man) and see distance as well. As far as I can tell, any Polymacon contact lens offers ~ 95% UVA and UVB blocking.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Lots of info here. Thanks everyone! I don't need corrective lens glasses so I've never worn a contact lens. I guess its pretty easy to get used to inserting them into your eyes. How about the chance of loosing them with the spray that can blast upwards while kiting?
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I've never lost one windsurfing in 12 years. I lost one surfing in Hawaii once though. This week I was under the sail and opened my eyes and was amazed that I could see underwater (duh!) and had no problem with the lenses. You're lucky you don't have to wear glasses pr lenses though.