Directions to Pipers Lagoon

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
Markus

Directions to Pipers Lagoon

Post by Markus »

Pipers directions (from North Island):
I’d turn L on Aulds as coming into Nanaimo off Parkway, stay on it and it turns into Hammond Bay Rd., ways to go, look for beach access signs and Lagoon Rd.on your L, if you turned 90 degrees to R and see harbor you’ve just passed it.

Pipers directions (from Victoria):
I take Northfield exit off the Nanaimo Parkway, L on Bowen (next main intersection), turns into Departure Bay, cross intersection straight following main road, winds, then called Hammond Bay, after sharp turn look for R on Lagoon Rd., R on Place Rd. and park, rig on grass.

Other:
Lock vehicle with dobberman inside (thefts); try to keep tacks above lighthouse!! Can be a bitch to get to NW windline, do the walk up the beach a ways from parking area for launch esp. on marginal days suggest use bigger fin and volume, tends to be best in morning, gradual shut down around lunch for NW, if it seems less windy there’s a clue: it is! get back! Great waves!

Maps: Check here for maps.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Dave, can ya move this to the island sail spot thread??

Post by KUS »

thought I'd add Mattdog's kiter info: :o

"FYI Oar rd is about 5 km north of piper's lagoon in Lantzville. Safer for kitesurfing tho not usually as windy or swelly. Only for NW winds. I wouldn't kite in the straight at Piper's since the wind's offshore" :shock:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I now prefer Sebastian Road in Lantzville for NW. It works best at low tide when there's a sand beach. Oar rd has a pebbly beach.
Signature Block.