People reserving spots at Nitinat

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

woah.... full stop! lol, just trying to give a solution.... not defending guys that take up space..... It's not like the Nitinat site is one of the nicest out there! 9 other than the wind) why the bad day!? We live in the best place on earth after all! :roll:
KC7777

Reserving

Post by KC7777 »

windaddiction wrote:.... one idea, though not as fun as staying on the lake, would be to camp at kisinger lake. It's only about 20 km from nitinat, and it's clean and on a lake too! Might be an idea for people with families that want a nice fresh water lake for the kids and dogs.
WTF? That is kind of like driving up to Manning Park ski hill to camp in an RV....then getting in your RV and driving to Hemlock to go skiing?

Windacction - I think most people at the lake are there for the wind. Kissinger Lake would never work. Ever.

Just to clarify my original comments. I don't care that much about the trailers left in the way back campsites (ie sites on the back road that are not on the water ). As those those back sites are less used by us weekenders...and I think some of those trailers back there (ie Dale) are paying the fees for their sites.

It just bugged me that some of the campsites near the water (ie number 11 and 12 near the beach access sign where us windsurfers hang out) were taken with a 5th wheel trailer and a tent trailer, and there are also some tents on the good beach sites that never seem to move and are full of windsurfing gear.....hmmmm? It was obvious that no one was in those sites during the time I was there.

K
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Yes I totally agree with you 100%

was just trying to suggest a back-up plan for some one that is coming far away and gets to the lake and finds no spot to camp. Mind you this idea is based on towing a trailer... not driving an RV that you would then have to pack up to get to the lake!
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

tents full of gear...like a dream come true...so, hitchhike to the lake, maybe buy a bit of food, (although I have fed people there many times). Hmmm, I really deserve it, been working too much lately. And it's free...
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Couldn't agree more with the original spirit of this thread.

Nitinaht is amazing, don't get me wrong, but there's been a real selfish undertone growing over the past couple of summers.

There's even been reports of vandalism and bullying between members of our community this summer.

What's next "justified" theft?

End of my bitch session.
slats

one big lake

Post by slats »

That's one big lake and we are a pretty big wind community all crammed into one fairly small campsite for a few shorts months of the year.
are there any other camping or access points on the lake?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Slats, you can camp at knob pt bur there is no access any longer except by boat. I agree with whole thread, there is no justification for leaving tents or rvs permanently and empty. I noted that leaving a trailer and tent and even poles strung with sail quivers abandoned for the week is also common at Nimpkish but didn't seem a big deal as there was so much space. Maybe it would be in July when I hear its busy there. But space at nat is just too precious for this bs. The rules are 2 week max then leave for at least a day but who will enforce? Also hard when kite instructors clearly need to have a semipermanent space but others start to follow breaking rules with less justification. So do we complain to mof or just take direct action. Squatting on squatters turf sounds weird but fun.
GWIND

Never changes

Post by GWIND »

Don't change anything, love the lake just the way it is. Keeps all the normal people away.
Just three more weeks and it's all over for the year.
Great party for Grammpa Jeff.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I like this thread.
I say set up in the unused sites if needed. It would be great if the 14 day limit was enforced. But with that rule enforced comes more rules we don't want at the Nat. No clear answer to this problem. The lack of space is certainly a deterent for me, luckily Nimpkish is the same drive time and no logging road. Nitinat in the mid nineties was great, people would always make room for you. It's not what it used to be but it still is a very special place.
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

Oops, double post, just trying to get my post count up.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I was chatting with the fee collector guy today and it sounds like he is pretty choked about the situation and is going to be exploring his options (ie the red tent on the verge of collapse in the primo spot 2 sites in from the loading zone that has been there for a couple months with nary a person in sight)
LadyInTheWater

Post by LadyInTheWater »

that red tent has been there since june. on saturday i saw that the tent pole holding it up is broken. tents are easy to take down and put up. i don't know why it's so hard to not do so. if your going to leave a tent up all summer at least leave it at a site where your friends are camping at all summer as well and there's someone there to look after it. someone should put food in it and let the bear have it's way with it. lol. i guess i can't complain, i have a place to stay everytime i go. i sleep in my truck.
"living life isn't about buying that new car, it's about getting your hands dirty and having fun in the sun."