Buying Sprinter Van and ideas for racking system

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddude

Post by winddude »

How about a pole for those light wind days?
Image[/img]
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
JL

Post by JL »

I'm not sure if Dave is O.K. with a thread called T.V.E. but here is a video by a frustrated stealth camper: https://youtu.be/765jYFWfMBo?t=189 :? Not quite an 'easy Rider' moment but certainly a situation I wouldn't want to be caught in :shock:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JL wrote:I'm not sure if Dave is O.K. with a thread called T.V.E. but here is a video by a frustrated stealth camper: https://youtu.be/765jYFWfMBo?t=189 :? Not quite an 'easy Rider' moment but certainly a situation I wouldn't want to be caught in :shock:
ok worst link ever :roll: I lasted 3 minutes
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddude

Post by winddude »

KUS wrote:
JL wrote:I'm not sure if Dave is O.K. with a thread called T.V.E. but here is a video by a frustrated stealth camper: https://youtu.be/765jYFWfMBo?t=189 :? Not quite an 'easy Rider' moment but certainly a situation I wouldn't want to be caught in :shock:
ok worst link ever :roll: I lasted 3 minutes
No idea what that even was...
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
JL

Post by JL »

O.K.
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

I've looked at the Sprinter & Promaster vans & now agree with Nanmoo & MF4, the Mercedes is the nicer unit. Much better ground clearance & a proven diesel. 8) Here is another Canadian conversion available out of Quebec: http://www.safaricondo.com/en/motorises_Mercedes-LX
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Look at the Ford Transit too. I think it is nicer than the Sprinter as well and something like $10k cheaper if you buy the gas version. For most people, especially people who use it as a work van, you'd really be stupid to buy the diesel sprinter as the only way you'll ever make the cost difference back is if the diesel runs to 500,000km and the gas one dies well before that (which is what we were/are counting on). The Ford only has a 5 cyl diesel, so at that point, even if it is nicer vehicle, the Sprinter 4 cyl is a better option because of the fuel economy is better for something that costs the same.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Meet Moby :D He's embarrassed to be a Ford but makes up for it in SUP space and sips diesel :wink:
Attachments
P1140144.JPG
P1140144.JPG (429.5 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ah the E-series... with a aftermarket top like Lawmans van, you can't do much better.

But the in-ability to stand for multiday trips to rainy Tofino in an unmodified one...
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Back in the early 1990s I had an 81 ford Van. I found a similar van in the junk yard with a white fibreglass raised roof, windows, lighting and carpeted. Made a deal for a hundred bucks. Easy to lift off once you remove all the screws. The fun part was cutting the roof off my van with a skil saw then screwing the new top on. &#128656;
Why aren't YOU out there?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

This brings up an interesting aside - auto wreckers ain't what they used to be. With auto-mobiles dropping in price relative to their complexity and dealerships offering zero percent purchase financing for the last decade or more, the repair business and salvage of parts is no longer as viable and many wrecking yards have closed down as result. It's simple economics - do you want to make this $3000 repair (or $2000 with used parts) to your 7 year old car that is worth about the same $3000 and pay 19.9% interest on your Credit Card; or would you instead prefer this brand new X-model with 0% interest monthly payments (not to mention we'll give you a grand to cash-in your clunker!). As a result cars have quickly become throw away items, auto wreckers have had to switch to higher margin/higher dollar parts, value added services, niche markets and/or only those brands and types of vehicles that support this type of activity. Now interestingly you won't notice this as much in areas where land is more plentiful and cheaper, but with the lower mainland wrecking yards this has been pronounced.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

You're like the first kid among your friends to try pot. Now everyone needs to try it! :lol:
Why aren't YOU out there?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Whatever your ride if it's one you want to keep, don't let salt water under the floor. My sprinter is in for.a.few thou of rehab. Going to a spray in liner after a lot of grinding. Then reinstall floor and cabinetry
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Here is my budget minded rig that I picked up a few months back. I'm in the middle of a full conversion into an Adventure Van. Check out the custom rear swing door.

Frdige, Water, Hotwater, Furnace, Solar, seats and sleeps 4...should be great!
Attachments
2016-03-19 10.06.35.jpg
2016-03-19 10.06.35.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
2016-03-19 10.06.56.jpg
2016-03-19 10.06.56.jpg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
Give'R