SUP question

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Fanatic

Post by Tsawwassen »

Sorry for not getting back to you guys I got wicked busy at work. I finally decided to get the Fanatic Pro Wave 9.2. I think this board should be great for around Vancouver but still be small enough for my occasional trips to the coast. I took it for a test paddle in Boundary Bay before I bought it and it seems very nice, I can't wait for the Oregon Coast. Leaving around June 15th for a week. I'm going to take it out to Squamish this week and see how it sails. Keith this board seems very well put together and surprisingly light. I haven't seen the other Fanatics but was originally looking at getting the Fly10.6 HRS because I have a Fanatic Shark HRS and that thing is bomber. I think I'm still going to pick one up for my wife and kids to use unfortunately the 2012 one sold at The Gorge Surf shop. They had it on close out for $1000. Thanks for all your input especially Chris. Hope to see you guys out on the water one day, maybe at Pistol River?
Attachments
ProWaveBottom.jpg
ProWaveBottom.jpg (436.71 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
ProWaveTop.jpg
ProWaveTop.jpg (610.38 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

sweet ride! that double concave reminds me of my old E-rock. Looks like i'm going to miss you, not arriving till the 26 or so. i wanted to see the cool Roberts board too. Shred it up!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

8) Nice looking shape!
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Shape reminds me of the village bicycle RRD 9'2" except with a pointy nose.

I'll see you down in PR at the same time, maybe I'll drag my 8' Pro down there so you can compare the two if you want to see what "really" small is like.

- Tony
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KC7777

Fanatic SUP

Post by KC7777 »

Hey Tsawwassen,

That is a nice looking board! I think I am gonna get the 8'10" AllWave SUP for $1,149 . Great price and I agree Fanatics are bombproof. I currently own a 120L Fanatic Hawk and just purchased an 85L 2013 Fanatic FreeWave (Tri fin!) in the Team Edition. And in the past I have owned a 113L Fanatic Eagle and some Fanatic FreeWaves. No issues at all, very durable.

Though I will probably end up selling my 10' Starboard woody Whopper as it will have pretty much the same use as the 8'10" AllWave.

PS - where did you buy it that you could take it for a test paddle in Boundary Bay? Private sale?

Thanks,

Keith
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Looks like i'm going to miss you, not arriving till the 26 or so. i wanted to see the cool Roberts board too. Shred it up!
Dave, sorry I'll miss you but I'll try to make it over to the Island at least in the fall for some windsurfing and of course will bring the SUP and the Roberts.
I'll see you down in PR at the same time, maybe I'll drag my 8' Pro down there so you can compare the two if you want to see what "really" small is like.
Tony, It'll be great to meet you but don't bring it down just for me, although it would be nice to try out some different rides. Feel free to take mine for a test drive as well. I'm so stoked I'll be stopping at Florence and maybe Newport on the way down as well.
PS - where did you buy it that you could take it for a test paddle in Boundary Bay? Private sale?
Keith I picked it up off a guy locally so he brought it out for me to try. He also has a 9.0 wood Fanatic Fly for sale on Craigslist.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Seaside - You want to surf Seaside.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

I always love La Push, a little out of the way but nice break when it's good.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

La Push it real good!
Poultry in motion
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

How does one get a wind report for La Push???
We windsurf - life must be good!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Geoffy wrote:How does one get a wind report for La Push???
no wind apart from NOAA but there is actually a webcam or two :idea: try Forks
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Will let you know, may be wishing for a SUP by Sunset today! 8)
We windsurf - life must be good!
KC7777

New SUP

Post by KC7777 »

Well here it is:

I picked up my 2013 Fanatic AllWave (8'10" x 31", volume 146L, windsurf capable).....dragged my kid down to the Gorge so I could use his $800 48 hour exemption. So only paid tax on the excess $350 ($1,149 - $800).

The guys at Gorge Surf shop were awesome. They gave me sweet deal on a bag, free leash, hats for my kids etc. Also picked up my new FreeWave 85L Tri-fin.

First thoughts on the new 8’10” SUP.....as I got to try it down in Westport, WA on Sat and Sun.

Sat. was 2' – 4’ mushy waves, about 8 seconds between them but Sun was really crappy waves with real messed up whitewater (4' - 6' hell and no period between waves). But it was sunny! Got windy as I was packing up at 4 pm and 5 kites went out.

I am still learning SUPing in waves. Pretty much a newbie. Had tried previously with 28" and 30” wide SUPs. There is learning curve, but even in 2 days I went from barely being able to stand up in choppy waves to paddling out over breaking waves.

I SUPed both my woody Whopper and the AllWave back to back. The Whopper is more stable while paddling but I was surprised at the stability of the AllWave. Still was tough in the conditions. The AllWave feels much nicer to surf.

Here are some pics of the 8'10"x31" AllWave (beside the 10'x34" woody Whopper for reference):
Attachments
201306030014.jpg
201306030014.jpg (156.33 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
201306030013.jpg
201306030013.jpg (202.47 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
201306030015.jpg
201306030015.jpg (195.18 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Last edited by KC7777 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It looks exactly like the older version Pocket Rocket that I and BWD had/have, except a thruster and minus the stepped rails - So I'd expect it to be a lot of fun. But I still think you'll find that although it will be hi-performance board compared to your whopper, if you surf it enough you'll outgrow it quicker than you think.