How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

How often do you check the wind forecast

Never
1%
Once a week
10%
Once a day
43%
At least 3 times a day
39%
Constantly hitting refresh on my browser!
7%

Total votes: 235

snowbirdsvideo

UW Wind Model for Georgia Straights

Post by snowbirdsvideo »

This is one of the most useful tools that a mariner has in the lower mainland waters. I am a BC Ferry Captain and I can say with confidence that all of the Masters in this region rely on the forecasts that Dave has put together using this model. We compare all information; satellite included, but we really have confidence in this model. Decisions are made in real time based on this information that affect sailings in the winter when the winds are high. Safety first…and this means our passengers. This is the best forecast model that we have to use, and puts Environment Canada to shame as a reliable source of information.
Bob
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Given some of the latest posters, those that apparently went through the process of registering and getting their passwords only so they could post their comments, one must reflect on the 10% response rule: Only roughly this percentage voices their concerns and views in writing or by speaking out or both (most is verbal), the remainder is either apathetic, let things go or are prevented by some process means to do so. In this case it is probably more like 1%.

I recall working for government (MOT) and in HQ we would literally only get a handful of complaints in our public relations department from tax payers every year in regard to roadway maintenance and infrastructure.....a few more in local districts......not because there were not a lot of complaints but because the writing of a complaint letter (or complimentary letter of which there actually were some but a lot fewer......those people surely ended up with some form of promotion!) and actually mailing it were keeping the numbers down.

We took every single one of those and responded, in detail and by phone and mail at times because we were aware that if we got even two letters about the same thing, it was a huge deal :idea:

U of W: NOTE THE POSTERS ON THIS THREAD WITH ONLY ONE OR TWO POSTINGS TO THEIR CREDIT AND THE CONSENSUS ON THE MODEL INFO! It's a huge deal!! :!:
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

Wow BC ferries captains uses this model, it's not just for windsports. I'm probably a 3 a day user of the UWash BWD table and I find it the most accurate forecast for a 3 day outlook though I use it with the EC forecast to make decisions. Mostly I use it for windsurfing but also use it for making ocean kayak decisions. It has already been said by others but this table is used by all mariners to make decisions in the Juan De Fuca/Georga strait/Puget Sound region and only a minuscule number will post on this thread. If Dave get's shut down I will still access the MM5 model directly if they keep it open to the public. UWash please keep this free flow of valuable information to this site.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

This group relies on wind forecasts more than any other in the area. These forecasts are vital!
skinny

Post by skinny »

I use this service for the following

Windsurfing
Boat deliveries to the island and the USA
Boat deliveries down the coast to San Fran etc
Race planning for major races in the north west
Cruising plans for sailing customers

I also recommend this to everyone I meet on the water and at races

S
coldwater

Post by coldwater »

I use this site all the time (at least every other day) for surfing.

You could change the way you implement things. Create a cache so you're not constantly hitting the UW servers and thus not get banned for overuse. Should be simple enough. Just get it to update every 12 hours as you also know that they don't update their model more than that really. Or reduce it to cache once per hour or once every couple of hours. Lots of options to reduce the number of hits on their server.

Then you get around the whole problem with the ban for overuse.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

I tend to use the forecast once a week or so to learn if there is going to be a day worth watching out for, and then when there is a good day looming, I am stupid on this site trying to get an angle on the action between my wife, my kids many extra-curricular athletics, the job, and day-light hours. Posted from 99% of the time Windless-couver.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I wake up, I check. I go to work, I check, I have lunch, I check, I get off work, I check from my iPhone, I drive to Cook, I kite.
scott c

Post by scott c »

I believe i can speak for the saltwater sportfishing community of Vanc island
when i say that the wind model posted on Big Wave Dave is crucial information we simply cannot be without.
Cuba Libre

Post by Cuba Libre »

Well- I use the BWD forecast on a regular basis here in Comox. I find for local fishing, the predictions are MUCH better than Environment Canada.

This summer, in areas not covered by BWD I estimate the wind forecasts were WRONG 50% of the time. Sure hope we dont lose this one.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

This is an incredibly useful tool that I use frequently. It is my seacond most used page on this site.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Gypseas

Post by Gypseas »

Totally THE place to go for wind forecasting, hard to say what we would do without it.
Fishing out of Sooke, I don't go out without checking the forecasts first.
Sometimes going as far as Sombrio Beach or Constance Bank, we do our best to have a safe, comfortable ride to and especially from wherever we're going.

Even when not going out I am still checking the forecasts at least 2-3 times a day.
Sure hope the services will continue.

Cheers yall
Gypseas

Post by Gypseas »

and BTW the forecasts are my homepage on the home computer
8)
danthewire

Post by danthewire »

I can't begin to say how useful and accurate your wind forecast model is.I started using this a few? years ago and spread the word to all my fishing buddies.We all use it now,it is the best, most accurate, forecast for wind.I can't count the days we have gone out and ran a little further because of the predictions,and the trust in the accuracy.A very,very reliable tool for our safety,please keep it.Thanks Dan
myknoo

Post by myknoo »

same as dan just posted-use both the wind forcastin & the webcams,over on the mainland & will check it before headin over