Wingfoiling Progression

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

:lol:

There is a reason some of us stay on the windsurf foil!
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Wow

Post by Windjunky »

Starting to look a lot cooler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4p_bzOouo
Another cool one if he had a wing so smooth and relaxed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9yCe6ibhzU
Last edited by Windjunky on Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Wow

Post by Tsawwassen »

Windjunky wrote:Starting to look a lot cooler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4p_bzOouo
That video is so cool! I was thinking the other day how awesome it would be to wing with a windsurfer or surfboard. I'll have to give it a try someday.
:D
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Does anyone have any of the newer wings that have the much narrower leading edge/bladder? If so how do you like? They appear much more efficient than the gigantic 6”+ ones.
I couldn’t find ULR’s previous mention of the retractable waist leash, does anyone have a link for where to get those? Anyone have any other wing leash devices that have worked out well?
Do most peeps attach board leash to ankle?
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

AJSpencer wrote:Does anyone have any of the newer wings that have the much narrower leading edge/bladder? If so how do you like? They appear much more efficient than the gigantic 6”+ ones.
I couldn’t find ULR’s previous mention of the retractable waist leash, does anyone have a link for where to get those? Anyone have any other wing leash devices that have worked out well?
Do most peeps attach board leash to ankle?
Last session I took the spreader bar off my old windsurfing harness and affixed both leashes to the sides. This actually worked really well and kept the leashes pretty tidy. Previously I was fouling the leashes on the foil or wrapping them in weird crashes. Having one on the ankle and the other on the wrist is so much worse for tangling potential. Guys with the reels seem to like them but the bulk of them hanging off the waist puts me off. I need to try one to see if they're worth the expense/bulk. Armstrong, NSI, and some others have waist leashes that work well.
Poultry in motion
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Thanks will give that a try. Ya I see the retractable waist one from BPSurf is $120US + shipping.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Never even notice the reel leash is there. Set and forget. It's the best and totally worth it. I now also put the wing/wrist leash around the front of the waist belt, so much better having free hands.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Ya nice to get the leash right out of the water. I found and ordered the Oceanus leash on boardsports.ca.
https://www.boardsports.ca/oceanus-eel- ... leash.html
About $130CAD after shipping and tax.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:Never even notice the reel leash is there. Set and forget. It's the best and totally worth it. I now also put the wing/wrist leash around the front of the waist belt, so much better having free hands.
Call me a safety nerd, you wouldn't be the first ... the worst case scenario with this is if your belt fails in that spectacular wipeout way offshore, you lose both your wing and board, and then you're in real trouble. I was using a cheap, low quality webbing strap, which got me thinking about it ... maybe less a concern if you have a heavier duty belt. I am now using a shorts harness, so the reel leash is on back pull strap, wing leash on the kite leash loop. Bonus: the shorts over wetsuit look is 90s-Great-Lakes-surfer-kiter retro chic.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Yes, my wing leash is a 1990's telephone cord I think and it kept wrapping around my fingers so nice to get that off the wrist too. I like windoc's idea of using a harness w/o hook.
But good point. Although I can't see the harness coming apart, I do like the idea of being tethered to 2 things that float, and so I don't feel a need for a lifejacket. But maybe I'll leave the wing attached to wrist for a while and see if I can get used to it.
I found the 5m wing also fits in my Sprinter inflated, so I can pump it up on my grass at home and have everything ready. That's convenient! Can't wait to get out there again.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

AJSpencer wrote: I found the 5m wing also fits in my Sprinter inflated, so I can pump it up on my grass at home and have everything ready. That's convenient! Can't wait to get out there again.
I put a pinch valve on mine so I can leave centre strut inflated. You have added a new level of quick start, put on your wetsuit at home, park and roll.

8)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

juandesooka wrote:
AJSpencer wrote: I found the 5m wing also fits in my Sprinter inflated, so I can pump it up on my grass at home and have everything ready. That's convenient! Can't wait to get out there again.
I put a pinch valve on mine so I can leave centre strut inflated. You have added a new level of quick start, put on your wetsuit at home, park and roll.

8)
I'm suprised that all manufacturers don't put pinch valves on the strut as a safety measure. Don't want the inflatable pfd to get holed by the foil then have no pool toy to hold onto!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Tried a duck jibe today.
This is a good video for learning, Balz makes anything look easy though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIdyb4UUDI[/youtube]
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

juandesooka wrote: I put a pinch valve on mine so I can leave centre strut inflated. You have added a new level of quick start, put on your wetsuit at home, park and roll.

8)
Thanks for this tip, I did this when I packed up yesterday, but I was wondering how long can you leave it inflated for?
It's very convenient but is there a chance I can damage the bladder?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Tsawwassen wrote:
juandesooka wrote: I put a pinch valve on mine so I can leave centre strut inflated. You have added a new level of quick start, put on your wetsuit at home, park and roll.

8)
Thanks for this tip, I did this when I packed up yesterday, but I was wondering how long can you leave it inflated for?
It's very convenient but is there a chance I can damage the bladder?
I have left mine for a month or more. Only danger to bladder I can see might be if over-inflated, but that would more likely be a problem while riding.