Wingfoiling Progression

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

JDS, the going straight downwind with the wing inverted makes perfect sense, but I couldn't see how he was going sideways at the end? Didn't seem to tip the wing so mostly on one side that I saw. And I presume it would be impossible to go upwind unless you have the board to paddle. There isn't a situation where the board ends up upwind and doesn't blow downwind slower than the swimmer? I couldn't body drag back to my board with a kite once in light wind at Nitinat, I think it may have been from stronger wind aloft and nothing at the water level.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

slake wrote:Cool, thanks for the replies. Think I'll generally try to keep the whole thing assembled. Normally will have the room to do so.

Winddoc do you put Tef-Gel, or any other lubricant, on the Armstrong threads? I assume not. Found this - https://www.armstrongfoils.com/media/21 ... manual.pdf - doesn't seem to suggest anything. Going to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCSwVic_2Y in full, when I have a spare hour. At minute 5 Armie A. says "no grease"...so I plan to put it together dry.
I have gofoil, which involves no differential metals, and so shouldn't require anti-seizing lubrication. I generally don't bother. But there's no harm in using it if you have some. I got some cheaper ebay stainless bolts and some cheap zinc t-nuts -- I don't fully trust either, so I put on a dab of tefgel to be safe. Cheap insurance.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

foil dissasembly

Post by Windjunky »

Be carefull with aluminum I left mine for a couple months even with never sieze on it one bolt is seized will have to use a torch to get it off. Not sure if carbon have metal inserts but if they do I would definitely use some anti -corrosion stuff on bolts if you want to change mast size etc in the future.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

slake wrote:Cool, thanks for the replies. Think I'll generally try to keep the whole thing assembled. Normally will have the room to do so.

Winddoc do you put Tef-Gel, or any other lubricant, on the Armstrong threads? I assume not. Found this - https://www.armstrongfoils.com/media/21 ... manual.pdf - doesn't seem to suggest anything. Going to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCSwVic_2Y in full, when I have a spare hour. At minute 5 Armie A. says "no grease"...so I plan to put it together dry.
No need for tefgel or other lubricants on the Armstrong. I wondered the same before getting mine and did some reading. The titanium bolts thread and seat so nicely in the titanium core. I've not had to retighten a single bolt. Easy to take apart as well, even after weeks together. The guy from Real Kiteboarding had his together for months before taking the foil apart. No problems.
Poultry in motion
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Poultry in motion
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

winddoctor wrote: No need for tefgel or other lubricants on the Armstrong. I wondered the same before getting mine and did some reading. The titanium bolts thread and seat so nicely in the titanium core. I've not had to retighten a single bolt. Easy to take apart as well, even after weeks together. The guy from Real Kiteboarding had his together for months before taking the foil apart. No problems.
Cool...that is my brief take from skimming the start of that video I posted. Still intend to watch it in full. Pretty sure the Armstrong screws are stainless and everything they screw into is titanium (t-nuts, screw inserts, washers, and fuselage). Happy to be corrected. For the t-nuts it's definitely 316L stainless screws - https://www.armstrongfoils.com/t-nut-set-1/ .
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Sorry, yes, stainless screws go into titanium core, not titanium screws. No "fizz" as Armstrong likes to say so no need for tefgel. Don't overtighten screws or you risk snapping them. Armstrong says "snug". Some people have been cranking the screws down and are breaking them. Replacement of screws every 6 mos to a year depending on usage is recommended.
Poultry in motion
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Use of teflon tape for foil screws

Post by TonyT1000 »

Hey so what are folks views about using plumbing teflon tape for foil screws? I saw the MAC Kite dude using them in one vid. Help to prevent/minimize corrosion/binding or not?
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Use of teflon tape for foil screws

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

TonyT1000 wrote:Hey so what are folks views about using plumbing teflon tape for foil screws? I saw the MAC Kite dude using them in one vid. Help to prevent/minimize corrosion/binding or not?
Sure it probably helps too especially if threads are a bit loose. Never had any issues using TefGel so far, it's been proven by many to be the most effective thing to use for foil parts that may seize.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Tefgel works so well I would not rely on tape. The saltwater will gett through it especially as the thread will tear it some. I cant imagine a scenario where a screw is wobbly fitting? I'd try the tefgel and check after a session and a week. I left mine attached nearly a year, panicked, took out all the screws to repack with tefgel it seemed I needn't have bothered it was pristine just in from the sand/grime outer coat.
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

Found it a challenge to locate all gear at one spot so I have the odd thing arriving from various shops from all over (think I've assembled a full kit of what I need to start - my MO was if something is available buy it, seems like stock is a bit of an issue). Did get an HS 1850 kit, ordered an 85 cm mast with it, but the standard 72 cm showed up. I think of superdave's earlier comment: "Either choice is the right one for your first season of wing foiling.". I figure I just keep it. Going to have easy access to a lake and planning on towing behind a boat at first. Maybe it was destiny to get the shorter mast?

Board showed up a few days earlier too - Fanatic 5'8" 110 L Sky Wing. Didn't have the option for the 130 L version. The 5'8"looks big on land. Will see when I'm in the water!

Pretty stoked about getting out on the foil!!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

slake wrote:... Did get an HS 1850 kit, ordered an 85 cm mast with it, but the standard 72 cm showed up. I think of superdave's earlier comment: "Either choice is the right one for your first season of wing foiling.". I figure I just keep it. Going to have easy access to a lake and planning on towing behind a boat at first. Maybe it was destiny to get the shorter mast?

Board showed up a few days earlier too - Fanatic 5'8" 110 L Sky Wing. Didn't have the option for the 130 L version. The 5'8"looks big on land. Will see when I'm in the water!

Pretty stoked about getting out on the foil!!
Awesome. The 72 will be fine and if you decide to SUP surf or prone surf foil, the 72 will be great in shallower waters. You're welcome to give my 85 mast a try when you're ready for comparison. The Fanatic will be great, but yes, it will feel smaller on the water. It'll be perfect for our local beaches once you get the hang of it. Good times ahead!!
Poultry in motion
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

slake wrote:...Board showed up a few days earlier too - Fanatic 5'8" 110 L Sky Wing. Didn't have the option for the 130 L version. The 5'8"looks big on land. Will see when I'm in the water!
Soon another wingfoil addict! SkyWing is a great board, you're going to love it!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

It is interesting with the whole mast length thing. I read and watched this https://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/th ... ng-part-2/ . Gave MACKite a call and the person they put me through to was Tucker Vantol (the guy that does all their Foil Fridays videos - I realized this after speaking to him for a couple of minutes, was kind of funny). Him, along with the link/video above, and this thread actually makes me lean to the 85 cm mast. That is what I chose to order. Realize with other sports, like cycling, if a frame I ordered was off by 1 cm I'd be upset. Sure this is in its infancy but still it is a pretty glaring error. At least the dealer totally owned his mistake and will fix it for me, if I want, or refund the extra paid for the 85 cm.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Wondering where you buy tefgel I work in marine industry and hadn't heard of it .use to use something made by OMC but seems they no longer make it.