Current Weather at Cowichan Lake

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Cam tips

Post by bwd »

Kiterkliff wrote:hey bwd any tips on how to make the image better? I guess a better camera would, but besides that? Seems like any low cloud and the image washes out from too much light.
I am south facing so might have some issues with that I guess.
Hi Cliff: what camera are you using and what software are you using to grab the image? It does look a little over exposed - are there any settings there for exposure or an indoor/outdoor type setting? South facing is a little tough. Are there any settings for image quality - you should be able to bump up the jpg quality to 80 to 90% and this will make it look a lot better too.

Oh and another webcam option is to use a regular camcorder (if you have one, a hi8 or equiv will do). Thats what I'm using for the Gordons and Island View cams. They work great and usually camcorders have good 10x + optical zooms. I bought the cheapest camcorders I could find (ones without lcd screens) and they were about $300 at the time. I am sure you could find a used one for cheaper. The you just need a frame grabber type of device (to digitize the image) like this.

Or a cheap digital camera would also work. I use a camcorder, the USB Dazzle DVC80 and webcam32 software. I put a polarizer on the camcorder to help with some of the glare.
dave
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

okay, call me simple stupid but....isn't that reflection/ glare off the inside of a window pane?? Is the camera located indoors behind glass? I get the same problem when taking pictures with my digital cam....is the thing not weather proof?
Gotta admit I never even looked at the current cams or their installation, I just care about the product, ha! :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Kiterkliff

Cam

Post by Kiterkliff »

I had the camera outside and on the deck but its pretty much all the same. I am trying to get a digital as dave mentioned to replace it for a better picture. Hoping to get lucky on ebay. luckier than my buddy that bought a pair of ski boots with the toes cut out of the liners!! Ha that still makes me laugh.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

gotta say I will be thrilled when you get the cam updated, right now your report really helps deciding whether to go to the lake or not, thx a lot!...maybe you could include a % cloud cover? Cheers. 8)
Last edited by KUS on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Kiterkliff

Post by Kiterkliff »

Glad it helps
I am going to replace the web cam with digital photo for now until I get a better cam. this thing suuuuuccckkks [smilie=wizard.gif]