kiteboarding accidents / safety tips

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Some places - Very Entertaining Ha Ha.

Post by DavidM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8KZMZ2AqV4

Some places - Very Entertaining Ha Ha.

Snake a wave or you will never ride...ever!

A beautiful place before Gidget. After that hoards of crowds from the San Fernando Valley. Some pushing, fights but as you can see it has become a way there.

Rule here is the sole survivor get the wave to him/her self!
JL

Post by JL »

I can't watch more than ~ 1 minute of that before I need to turn it off. Not MY idea of a good time :?
Thermals are good.
GWIND

Wow

Post by GWIND »

That does look like fun.
We're not there yet, but not far to go.
I guess that's what U D call - no rules.
Kinda like fleas on a dog.
It's like windsurfing at Long Beach, little surf bugs everywhere.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

south africa accident video

Post by juandesooka »

Video of a guy getting hurt kiting in South Africa.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Am1y_m2g1Y[/youtube]

Looks to me like he was overpowered and started sliding on the grass, let go of bar too late, and didn't activate quick release. What's interesting/scary is that it looks kinda slow and harmless, but he got seriously injured. Another one for the memory banks....be careful out there.
GWIND

Trees

Post by GWIND »

So, are you saying trees and kites don't mix well?
With an onshore wind !
JL

Post by JL »

LET GO :shock:
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

that's the inherent problem with the kiting gear....ergonomically incorrect and backwards....always has been.
The natural human reaction when shit goes wrong is to not move and to hold on hard and pull..... :roll: bad idea with kite gear for the most part.
I saw this from day one, too bad developments haven't focused on this, now it's too late for all those that have figured out the sport :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Kiting isn't rocket science. If the force of the kite is causing a problem the kiter can/should release the bar and release the safety. In the early days of kiting kiters were dragged/lofted & couldn't release. Now 'punch-out' releases are standard. The danger isn't the sport or equipment it's the lack of continuous safety training. When was the last time we saw a video talking about hook knives or when to release the secondary safety :?: It's all about huge jumps or surfing some distant wave break. 8)
Thermals are good.

Post by 240 »

AC, on page 14 you wrote that you would run me over if I bailed on the first set? Then who is the dangerous shit head that shouldn't be out in big wave WITH straps?
Yes, seldom there are big waves here with the proper wind direction to ride them well. Like that busy surf video just posted, Santa Cruz head high and larger looks very much the same. I have never been run over, nor have I seen anyone else out there get run over. Generally people will ditch out or wipe out if they find themselves close to mowing someone down.
Seems like people need to travel more on this sight instead of saving the world from your arm chair. Not you Dwayne.
Actions speak louder then words, people need to talk on the beach to teach each other how to stay out of the way, or you will simply be taken out when on the water, yes even on your precious new gear. If you are in the wrong, there is no discussion. I have made mistakes, and followed through with sincere apologies. Make a mistake once, do not continue to be a kook. Learn the proper ettiquette on the water, and you make friends, not head hunters!
PS: Kus, you have no say when it comes to kiting. You obviously could not hack it, so keep your kiting advise to ettiqette on and off the water, not how they fly, or how to fly, or common reactions people will have in certain situations. Kiters: Theory, watching, lessons, watching, safety, watching, then think about going to the proper location with proper instruction and support. Very simple when you take your time and pay attention.
AC

Post by AC »

"Merry Christmas :)
make sure to play safe in the winter squalls and stay away from power lines:)
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

letting go

Post by juandesooka »

KUS wrote:that's the inherent problem with the kiting gear....ergonomically incorrect and backwards....always has been.
The natural human reaction when shit goes wrong is to not move and to hold on hard and pull..... :roll: bad idea with kite gear for the most part.
I saw this from day one, too bad developments haven't focused on this, now it's too late for all those that have figured out the sport :?
I'm close enough to a newbie that I can remember this too. I agree it is counter-intuitive that the primary safety mechanism is to completely abandon control. I remember thinking it's a bit like learning to drive, where if you got going too fast, you have to train yourself to let go of the steering wheel. The problem, of course, is there's no brake pedal to stop.

But maybe a better analogy is riding a bucking bronco ... you can grip harder to a point, then when it over-powers you, you are safest to let go in the most controlled way possible.

For kiting, it takes training and practice to know that letting go is your best option....and trust in your gear, for the safety mechanism to work as they are supposed to.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sailing overpowered and about to capsize...sheet out. Windsurfing overpowered and out of control...sheet out. Kiting overpowered, hey you think we should try reversing this instinct?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Good point; Although, both of those require an initial panicked 'pull' first before you sheet out, either to unjam the sheet (rope attached to the boom or headsail for those who don't sail) or to unhook your harness.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
GWIND

Watch

Post by GWIND »

Never mind the goofy kiters trying to be movie stars.
Play the video til the end then click on the girl with the big hooters.

Halarious over and over.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

I am always reminded how much beginners to both windsurfing and kiting have to learn not to out-muscle or out-horse their rig. Over twenty years ago I tried to teach my younger bother to windsurf in knee deep water in Fiji. He was twice as strong as me but could not get it that you only need a light grip on the boom, if you were doing it right.

Likewise, with kiting. Kite power control, sheeting out and safety release are learned skills, not natural, but once learned so easy.