kiteboarding accidents / safety tips

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

My comments about banish was simply if you see a new kiter doing something dangerous and determine they haven't had certified training then run them off the beach for the good of all.

You read the death reports on kiteforum about newbies putting up 12m kites in 35 knots and refusing to listen to repeated warnings from other kiters. 1/2 the deaths seem to happen this way. I would run these guys off the beach right away.

If they aren't doing anything stupid or dangerous no problem.
Signature Block.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Geez Paul, look what you started.

At least everyone should now be aware of some of the issues for the upcomming season.

Ross and Paul did have a set of kiting and windsurfing guidelines for Nitinat. I can't find a copy, but it would be great to have some laminated copies posted around the campsite if anyone can find a copy.

Landing kites on the beach at Nitnat in front of the campsite should be an absolute NO. I have seen too many potential accidents that involve lines, kites and kids. Generally the only people doing this are novice kiters which increses the risk of an accident. The guidelines stated that you had to land upwind of the beach, or well below the point. Also, if you were bodydragging past the beach, you should be at least 3/4 kite lengths from the beach.

Anyway, great discussion.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

These are the guidelines:

As previously developed by Paul & Ross. As suggested, they are guidelines, but good common sense should always prevail.

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.ph ... fety_guide

[BWD edit: moved to the wiki since the html copy/paste didn't come out right]
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
AC

rules and regs.

Post by AC »

I think That Penguin made a good point.
and I think it is great that people are not allowed
to leave there lines layed out on the beach for people
to trip on them

and all the other rules

8)
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

"Kitesailors" that's funny :lol:
Signature Block.
GWIND

lines

Post by GWIND »

PENGUIN-pro. :D THANKS FOR THE WISE WORDS.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Cj

Post by Cj »

The beach is huge Barb W! I'm saying if people are informed with a few details about kiting they might just be a bit more aware of whats going on around them. Is that so harsh! I'm sorry about your flowers at nitinat. CJ
somebody said " go fly a kite".
GWIND

read

Post by GWIND »

CJ-Did you read any of the posts above? It's attitudes like that that will get places like COOK ST. closed. Think :evil:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

forget my post :x
Last edited by KUS on Sat May 26, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

GWIND, are you always so harsh to people???
GWIND

HARSH IS ME

Post by GWIND »

NOSEY- YES I am, I dont like to beat around the bush. We need to work out the problems for the kitesurfers and the launching and landing problems before it's to late. You are going to lose beaches and launch areas if there isn't a good effort put forward to educate and inform every one. I think self policing could be the single most important factor. I KNOW, we were some of the first snowboarders on VAN. ISL. People hated us. Put the pressure on now cause tomorrow is to late. If you want to see some bad ass rules google -kanaha maui kitesurfing rules. Gene
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

Regarding a sign -- lots of municipalities have sign bylaws. :shock: Better check first whether one is allowed, how big, what it's made of, positioning, wording, etc. Good Luck. Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
asscrack

Dangers of sports

Post by asscrack »

Hey all.Before everyone gets carried away.A word.This area where we all windsurf and kitesurf is very special.Mostly because it is a small stretch of beach.We don't want any signs posted.Just tell everyone the rules.Signs involve bureaucracy.Our sports involve a lot of different bureaucracy's.Coastguard,CRD,and the CITY OF VICTORIA.When it comes to the CITY,Liabiliy is a big issue.There is a cost for this.I personally think free is a good policy.Bureaucracy doesn't think so.$$$$$$$$$$$$So,no signs please. :shock:
Last edited by asscrack on Sat May 26, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:x
Last edited by KUS on Sat May 26, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Hi there, I started kite boarding in 2002 (trying I should say...).
I learn back then from Paul that clover point was for advanced kiters only.
I knew that this would involve driving at Nitinate or IV everytime I wanted to kite board. But it never bothered me really, because of the way and the reasons (which make sense) that Paul told me.

I am so surprise and pissed off when I learn that there was people body dragging at clover point. "I'll not kite board at clover point until I can go upwind and I am able to turn without falling." It is just plain common sense. I am not sure if it was in Hawaii or somewhere else my job brought me to but I can remember someone telling me that kitesurfing was banned on a lot of beach because of accident, most of them due to begineer, lack of safety etc...

If I go to clover point and see a begineer trying to kitesurf, I will politely explain them why they should not be there, I am in the same boat as them but I respect the rules etc...If they don't understand I'll simply tell them that they are stupid to do so and carry on my walk on the beach. Maybe after 10 persons telling them the same they will understand and do whats best for everyone.

As for signs and regulations stuff, why not ask some advice to kiteboarding schools/other city on how they managed to create zones rules etc... ?

Random example, Dubai: "The Dubai Municipality has made it a requirement that all kitesurfers in Dubai have a licence to kitesurf. Membership of the DKC is your licence."

I am pretty sure that sending an e-mail to random kiteboarding school/places, asking them suggestions/pros and cons on how they did it will help you making a decision on what is best to do for Clover Point. Hopefully something will be done for Long Beach as well, I've seen so many kites flying very close to people on the beach.

That was my 2 cents...

On a funny note, this is what is going to happen in every suburb if they ban kiting at clover point :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqa8nOJ8 ... ed&search=

Something has to be done....