Do kiters eat their young too?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Local

Post by Local »

If Dale was standing on the bech and pealed off his rash guard he was obviously not in trouble, his board was though. If he has not got the common sense to find someone to retrieve his board and take it upon himself to swim for it that is his choice to make and I think it was the wrong one. Now Robin how come you didn't recruit a windsurfer at the bottom of the lake to get his board for him? Think before you swim, its only a material item.
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

To ULRobin:
U got my respect:) ! Liv long and prosper (with lotsa lotsa wind :) !
Good 4 U and Gr8 + stuff 4 de 4um 2. About time-long over Doo.

I still have my teak booms, and I remember learning windsurfing a very long time ago, and know just about every bozo beach and bozo log boom in the pacific northwest, and from time to time, I really appreciated help when I really needed it as did many others.

To offer help is free...to offer kindness is free...to offer support and encouragement is free... and the returns are infinite.

It costs so little to give...

Many newbie and intermediate kitesurfers are also windsurfers. We are wind junkies, addicts, adrenaline junkies on the edge, looking for a natural high....seeking the zone....gotta love the zone....that omni space and place...it's an addiction.

Anyways, I admire and respect you for trying to help...and to post the information about your experience, which I think expands our (my)understanding of the frustrations out there (for lack of better words).

Quite frankly, I won't go to Nitinat after my own personal experiences up there at Nitinat, even to get some kitesurifing lessons (which I really wish for), but everbody has to have their own experience.

I would say that your experience about trying to get help for a person in need, regardless of their individual circumstance, is more a relection of the human condition at this time.

We have so far to go...so much to give...so much to do.

I wrap it up with this thought....Every hour of every day defines the quality of ones' life. Each and every hour, added up, is the sum of our life.

So, live well.

As I say on my website, at www.waterose.com, "It's Kool to be Kind," which means, it's good to help others.

Waterose
[aka Judith Burke}
PS I really think that the anonymity of this forum is totally chicken shit at times. Say it and own it.
Kook St. Kite Kook

Post by Kook St. Kite Kook »

Nicely said, Waterose! :D
tempy

do kiters eat their young too

Post by tempy »

this thread and the garbage one makes me nervous to go out to Nitinat this year. I have a family - 2 young kids - who have been out there every summer since they were born. Last year for the first time I encountered some hostile elements in the camp that made the experience quite unpleasant on a few occasions.

I really hope that the "community" there (of which I count myself to be one) can come together to encourage / project / show others who prefer to do their own thing to the detriment of others, what we would all like Nitinat to be like.

The safety issue also concerns me with kids. They play on the beach all day, and I hope we have some protocols about kites and lines. There used to be "rules" posted on the board out there, but I am not sure who made them or if they are being followed. I don't want to pick on kiters, because that isn't appropriate, but windsurfers don't have the same safety issues for people on the beach.

This forum, and the people who know the existing community of kiters / windsurfers can go a long way to bridge the gap woth newbies, make them a part of the community out there, and give them an interest in making the Nitinat experience great for everyone.

Stephen McPhee
shockkite

Post by shockkite »

These are the guidelines:

To interested parties.

kite sailing / windsurfing site user guide
It has become apparent to me that we are going to see an increase in the number of kite surfers on the Lake this year. Many of our members (including myself) have taken up kite surfing. Some of us will use it as a low wind alternative and some will take up kite surfing exclusively. The sport will also attract new individuals to that don’t have a windsurfing or sailing background. We should take the time to learn how both groups of sailors operate so as to limit or negate any negative interaction.

Here is the outline of a "Kite Surfing/Windsurfer User Guide" that we are developing for Nitinat. Hopefully it will evolve as required to meet the needs of both user groups. The suggestions are a result of talking to kite surfers, my own personal experiences and the experiences of other local windsurfers that have taken up kite surfing. Ross Harrington and I have worked together to developed the "User Guide" Ross represented the kite surfers’ interests in the development process and I represented the windsurfers’ interests. If these guidelines are followed, both groups should easily be able to co-exist on Nitinat Lake. Both Ross and I would like to strongly urge both windsurfers and kite surfers to adopt these guidelines.

ON THE BEACH

KITESAILORS
WINDSURFERS
Don’t launch or land your kite in front of the campsite. Maintain using the traditional launch/landing area in front of the camp.
Launch or land above the campsite (to be marked by a flag on a pole) or below the campsite (to be marked by a flag on a pole).

When launching up wind of the site leave lots of room for safety.
Be aware that kites will be launching up wind of the campsite and or landing down wind of the site. Provide kite surfers plenty of room to do so.
Take time to show anyone who is interested, how to safely launch and land your kite. Getting knowledgeable help from others will greatly reduce the chance of accidents and make life easier for you. Don’t become involved in launching or landing a kite unless you have been shown what to do. Launching and landing a kite is the most dangerous part of kite surfing. Never stand downwind of a kite that is in the process of launching or landing.
Don’t practice fly your kite or trainer in the area in front of the campsite. Respect the fact that windsurfers’ need to have a safe area to launch and land without having to watch for kites.
Pay special attention to kids when launching or landing your kite. Kids love kites but don’t understand the dangers. If in doubt delay launching your kite.

ON THE WATER

KITESAILORS
WINDSURFERS
Don’t try to "pinch" out windsurfs on the same or opposite tack. If you see a windsurfer trying to pass above, let them, and make it obvious to them that you see them. Try to pass up wind of a kite that is on the same or opposite tack. If you can’t pass up wind make a definite turn to pass the kite surfer down wind and give them more space than a windsurfer.
If you are in the water with the kite down do you best to make it obvious to other sailors where you are, where your kite is, and where your lines are. If you see a kite down in the water in front of you, immediately locate the kite surfer in the water and pass above the sailor and the kite or below the sailor and the kite. NEVER pass between a kite in the water and the kite surfer. If in doubt as to the location of the kite and or sailor, gybe or tack away.
If you are learning to kite surf start your body drags at the river mouth and end them before the campsite. If you miss coming in above the campsite, drag all the way past before coming in. Pay special attention to learners who are body dragging. They do not have the ability to sail up wind or even broad reach. Often they do not have great kite control. Give them some extra space.
If you are a proficient kite surfer don’t spend all your time sailing right in front of the site. Sail in some of the lesser-used areas of the lake. Don’t be afraid to sail with an experienced Kite Sailor. In some respects they have greater control over direction than you do. Depending on style they do not have to gybe.

FOR KITE BOARDERS IN GENERAL

Use common sense. If the area is full of people (pay special attention to kids), don’t launch you kite.
Talk to local kite boarders, first hand experience goes a long way. Respect your ability.
Make sure your kite is secure on the beach. Don’t leave your lines strung out unless you are going to launch. Kite lines unattended create a hazard for other kite boarders and the public.
Always launch or land down wind of kites in the air. When on the beach the upwind kite must watch out for (give way to) the downwind kite.
When in doubt or out of control, crash the kite in the water. It’s safer for the kite and safer for bystanders.
Practice the buddy system when learning. It makes kite boarding easier.

Comments or suggestions are welcome. Please direct them to Paul Betts at or talk to Ross. You can usually find him kite boarding down at Cook St.

Paul Betts/Ross Harrington April 2001.

Try to follow them for better relations and safety for everyone concerned.

Gareth
Fly hard, jump high!
Russian Dood

kitesailing/windsurfing user guide

Post by Russian Dood »

Hey Gareth,

I'm 100% for the rules. Those long kite lines just freak me out; not because I'm agains kiters and their kites (I'm not. Who knows may be in a couple of years .......), but because I don't know enough about them. So rules RULE :wink:

I'm not criticizing, just want to help.

Dave has HTML OFF for the posts and unfortunately layout of the document got lost in a copying process, it became not clear what part of rules is supposed to apply to whom, so I just post a link to the source document.

Take care
Andrey
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Local wrote:If Dale was standing on the bech and pealed off his rash guard he was obviously not in trouble, his board was though. If he has not got the common sense to find someone to retrieve his board and take it upon himself to swim for it that is his choice to make and I think it was the wrong one. Now Robin how come you didn't recruit a windsurfer at the bottom of the lake to get his board for him? Think before you swim, its only a material item.
Hmmm, let's see... This is not about who made a right or wrong choice, Sh%@t happens! Have you never made a bad choice? So now he's in a potential life threatening situation which requires those around to help out if they have any moral fiber.
I didn't care about his board! It was the person I was concerned about, he was already well out into the lake on his crazy swim(100yds?) and had a long way to go to get his board. I'm not sure if you know Dale (from the Nitnat store), he's big guy, and it seemed to me that a ski or boat would be the obvious choice for helping out someone and to bring him in should he go hypothermic, cramp up, etc.
My frustration with the the people up the beach, was their lack of willingness to even help me find the owners of the boat or ski.

Robin Mitchell
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
Topher

Post by Topher »

I understand your gripe with people unwilling to help...but it doesn't sound like he was out there flailing around yelling for help and nobody would come to help....the guy decided to go for a swim...maybe he is a good triathalon swimmer and nobody knew. People sometimes CHOOSE to do things others wouldn't even consider....god know I would never swim across the lake for my board, but thats just me, I know I m not a good swimmer. I'd probably borrow a board and kite over to find it or something. So dont get too discouraged on the nature of the kiting/windsurfing community, maybe everyone just didn't want to over react, and they thought he seemed fine....i dont know. Lets just all try and maintain the community atmosphere on all our beaches, where eve we travel to and kite/windsurfing will remain a unique sport with unique people. I dread the surfing attitude creeping into kiting as it seems it is with some of the younger crew. Lets start by having a garbage free, problem free, realllllly windy long weekend/week and celebrate Canada in all its glory. Yahhhhhhhhhhh
8)
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

This will be my last post to this subject. What initially seemed like such a simple concept to me (help someone), has now devolved to the scary insights of the human mind. When someone comes up to you (no matter where in the world) and asks for help. DO WHAT YOU CAN. Do not be apathetic, do not sit and analyze all the various motivations of the players involved as we are doing here. You may help someone find a contact lens, you might save a life, who knows. People generally don't ask for your help unless they feel they need it. Humor them. Help. Don't shrug it off and walk away. As some others have pointed out in this post, you may well find yourself in similiar situations.

And now for me, I'm off to sail/surf/kite to try and wash this off me.

robin mitchell
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu

Rescues

Post by Guest »

I was there all week and know that the Northshore Jetski was used in more than 50 rescues. I was involved in several myself. Anyone who asked was helped and even many who did not ask (both sailers and kiters). I hope your experience was isolated Robin and know that the goodwill in the boarder community is alive and well. By the way Northshore ski and sailboard is based in Vancouver for all you wantabe Vancouver bashers. Shame on you!

I think following the rules outlined by Paul and Ross will dramatically help us all play safe and foster more respect for all site users. Sunday Morning Safety clinics might be a good idea at Nitinat. Due to the increasing site use safety needs to remain a top priority. Paul (Betts) are there some funds to post the rules in a few strategic locations? Can we print some official boarder community brochures and have them circulated at the lake? I will volunteer to circulate these and spread the word and am sure many others would do the same.

Play Hard, Play Safe and Help when you are in a position to do so.

Cheers,

Tom V

PS All boarders need to exercise prudent judgement when going out. I see far too many windsurfers and kiters lauching into conditions they are unprepared for, both in terms of experience or suitable selection of equipment for the conditions. These users put us all at risk. Be honest about your abilities and learn under the guidance and supervision of an experienced buddy. The buddy system is the best way to ensure people do not get into trouble and know that help is quickly at hand.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

The kite/windsurfing guidelines are great, but don't go over basic sailing rights-of-way. I find lots of kiters and sailboarders don't know the basics. I've had a few close calls where I altered course to avoid a board that had right of way, only to have them alter course to avoid me, resulting in a near miss or a double fall to ensure we didn't hit each other (if you have right-of-way, try and stay on your course). Starboard tack has right of way over port tack (at Nitinat, inbound has right of way, at Gordons outbound does). If both on the same tack, then the windward board/kite should keep clear. An overtaking board /kite should keep clear of a slower sailor. These have to be modified for newbies learning to bodydrag, etc., but clear rules make for fewer incidents and that tends to keep attitude in check.
tempy

do kiters eat their young too

Post by tempy »

I agree, the starboard right of way over port tack rule is probably the most important rule on the water, and lots of sailors don't know it, or don't know how to apply it.

I was always taught (for windsurfers), that if your right hand is facing forward you have right of way. You hold your course and let the approaching sailor take the evasive action. That avoids both of you steering into each other at the last moment. easy, and avoids collisions, misunderstandings and scowls.

See you at the beach.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

unfortanly I do'nt thikn the starboard tack rule will work very well at nitinat.... even when i raced sailboats starboard tack gets a lot of flack still.... however it's a good idea. I ushally try to just keep far enough away from everyone to avoid trouble. Oh and one more thing, don't try and do tricks when theres other windsurfers around you, cuase if you bail the guy behind you or beside you or in front of you may not have time to react
ldzielak

Post by ldzielak »

I was the one who had the zodiac, when I was asked to help Dale, I was there as fast as I could. He was already 2/3 of the way back to shore with his board.

We are talking about a large area, if you are staying up wind at "kite Beach" you can't see those in trouble past the windsurfer zone. When I was there, I did not see the ski in the water helping out much, but like I said, just depends on who is watching way down wind.

As for the rules great idea, but if your not from a sailing background the right of way, starboard tack is meaning less. I kited for over a year before I was explained the rule of right a way. I use the same rule of thumb I had to use when ride my street bike, always be prepared for the worst case, if your up wind, keep the kite high, downwind low. Or turn and go the other way.

I also watch the skill level of the kiters on the water, trying to learn who is "under control" and who I need to give extra room.

See you at the beach, been a great week in the Gorge.

Lee
kitesurferdale

WOW

Post by kitesurferdale »

WOW I didn't realise I created such a conundrum :oops: ,sorry if I couldn't get my kite back up and safely relaunched quickly. however when I was in position to do so, I had closed the distance to the shore and felt it was unsafe for me to relaunch with windsurfers and beach folk around, so yes I chose to float through and in the end get to the beach. I will say a thank you to the person who came down the beach initially to give me a hand in bringing in my ditched kite. As for my swim, YES I did enjoy it, NO I did not realize others felt it was foolish, as I have on many occasions during non season and in much colder water swam much further distances in this lake. Frankly the distance might have been in total a kilometer and I did not feel that the distance (half without a board in hand for floatation) was a concern. I do take some offense for people judging me on my choice, if you feel so strongly that I created a situation which could have endangered my well being, and you obviously know me as you refered to me by my name, then why did you not approach me and ask or point your concerns out to me. I would think that would be the neighborly thing to do?

Yes I was somewhat saddend that I did have to swim for the board, but oh well, I was the one who ditched it and wanted to get back up sailing as soon as possible so I decided swimming for it would be the quickest (NOTE: it didn't even take me 30 mins to get it!). Also at that time I did not wish to relaunch the kite and body drag to it as the wind was still very lite and unpredictable down that far end of the beach, which is one of the reasons for my difficulty in relaunching to begin with. Also why ask another kiter to come down into sketchy wind to attempt a rescue of my board. Another point I would like to make, but in no way saying or implying anything is that my board pretty much floated downwind the entire length of the beach from the kite launch area down past through the campground/windsurfer beach and into the large bay, at no time (to my knowledge) did other windsurfers, and their were many, attempt to retrive my board either, so it is just not "kitesurfers" who would have had the opportunity to recover it for me. All in all I found it very good exercise for me and my belly (and more motivation to get that big ass 16m to relaunch next time). I was happy to see the zodiac eventually arrive as it did show "community" spirit and I could get back to the beach and enjoy a truly great day of sailing quicker (without ditiching the kite again). I am happy and thankfull to know that others were concerned for my well being and hence some of the comments on this post.
Last edited by kitesurferdale on Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!