The Future of the BWD Website Depends on You

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Thanks to some more kite boarders contributing to the site 8)

Perhaps you can mention it to your fellow sailors to also get on "board", we got an awesome thing going here let's put a couple of bucks of systems support for where our passion is! Cheers :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I hate to post webcam stuff in what is mostly a fundraising thread, but is there any chance of getting more of the hi-res cameras like the missing willows cam? I know dallas rd is zoomable etc, but compared to the crisp 1024x768 images from willows, most of the other cameras seem rather blurry. Yes, it would up your bandwidth :( -Tom
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thank you for the website donations: George, Marty and Dane!

George Agnes (firstonlastoff)
Marty Chomik (Atomic-Chomik)
Dane Brown (dangerdane)

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/donate.php
tbrown wrote:I hate to post webcam stuff in what is mostly a fundraising thread, but is there any chance of getting more of the hi-res cameras like the missing willows cam? I know dallas rd is zoomable etc, but compared to the crisp 1024x768 images from willows, most of the other cameras seem rather blurry. Yes, it would up your bandwidth :( -Tom
All new purchases will be higher res cameras, for example Stardot SC 5MP (1296x960):
http://www.stardot-tech.com/netcamsc/index.html

Using donations and sponsor $$, I can just pay the monthly internet bills and also buy at least 1 new camera a year. They have a black friday sale in Nov and the camera, lens and enclosure comes out to about $1350 cdn. I am not getting any more zoomable lenses since they aren't used enough, instead I will use cheaper and better quality manual zoom lenses (just set once at the site for the best view, focus it and leave it).

Some of the cameras are about 13 years old and will slowly be replaced/upgraded. The Dallas Rd webcam is a newer one and one of the sharper ones IMO. Some sites are also hard to access and I don't like to bother the webcam hosts (the Dallas Rd apartment has renters in it and could be turned off if new tenants don't want it there, so if it works I like to leave them alone).

These webcams are on the replacement list in the future, either because they are old or starting to have issues:
Gordons#2
Island View
Ogden
Pipers
Comox
Cow Bay (likely no cost to BWD, just time)

These webcams works fine IMO or are hard to access:
Dallas Rd
Willows
San Pariel
Columbia
Port Alberni

Replaced cameras or new ones can be used at a new site, if we find one, or they can be used as spares.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thank you for the website donations:

Noelle Easthom
Dennis Begg
Joost Buijs (Joostio)

Dave
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Big thanks for the website donations:

Sam Jackson (samj)
JC Lewis (~~~~~4j~~)
Kevin Baerg (Kevin B)
Stephen Mcphee (Tempy)

Harp, harp.
Dave
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thank you for the website donations!

Deb London & RobS (Fluffy and Rs)
Hajo Meijer (HiyoSilver)
David Kerins (davey_k)
Joe & Christina Barlow (Joe & Speedy)

Dave
tempy

Post by tempy »

I hesitate to put my oar in, but if you go to the donation list, it is surprising that there are some superstars and local legends who don't appear on the list. Now, they may donate in other ways - time, labour, hosting etc, so I am not passing judgment. But, c'mon people, this is an amazing site and community that requires a minimum financial contribution from all of us - according to ability and each person's own circumstances - not matter how modest. If the frequent users don't lead the way then the hangers on likely won't add their two cents. Soapbox over - now let's hope that SE forecast comes through tomorrow!
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

Hope you are not referring to Ralph and I in your post!
Ralph pays $40 a month as a corporate sponsor for a small ad on the Pipers cam.
I host the cam. Other locations BWD pays the internet bill. In my case I don't ask for money. Guess I could get paid the $40 a month and donate it back so I am on the list.
2014 I bought a $50 dollar router and spent $15 dollar pressure treated post for the cb weather station and spent about 10 hours on the on set up and keeping it running.
Last year further several hours of service for the weather station. Don't know what your time is worth!

I think an apology is in order or my cam may go dark!!!
tempy

Post by tempy »

Dave, I got this as a pm as well, so thought I should post my response here as well:

Not at all, Dave. I know you host and know that there are other ways to contribute - which is why I specifically said so in the post. I have also seen Ralph's ad. I am sorry if you , or anyone else took offence. Everyone should do their bit, and you and others do more than that. Hey, perhaps everyone is pulling their weight, but it doesn't look that way. Cheers. Stephen.
tempy

Post by tempy »

And Dave, you are only a "pro".

:wink:
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

Thanks Steve. Sorry, I may of miss understood your post. The way I had read it was that doing things in kind wasn't enough.
Thanks for the note :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:? Hmm yeah, lots of ways to contribute, those who don't may or may not know as they don't read these notes, Vic yacht club for example routinely uses forecast and cam/latest pages, so do fishermen/anglers and kayak groups (all are a big loss of generous contributions in past) but don't read this or threads on fin placement or line length....lets please not scrap amongst the contributor group, a list of routine sponsors/other donations might help to explain. Also like to point out just by being a pro or superstar rated, it seems input has been a major contribution of that individual....perhaps smart ass comments aside that keeps the site going too :wink:

Having said this dunno what the big deal is about an annual $25 if you can afford these sports :roll: Please throw in your share, most of us also already cover a number of fellow sailor deadbeats :evil:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

When it comes to other users, I see that my kayak club, South Island Sea Kayak Association (SISKA) hasn't made its normal $200 donation yet. I'll contact them to see what's up and lobby for ponying up.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

more force 4 wrote:When it comes to other users, I see that my kayak club, South Island Sea Kayak Association (SISKA) hasn't made its normal $200 donation yet. I'll contact them to see what's up and lobby for ponying up.
They did, I just haven't updated the list yet...been away for work. I will also try to do a list of sponsors, webcam hosts, helpers etc...just been busy.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Royal Vic yc sponsored windfest!! And I'm pretty sure Leitch n McBride / Black Line Marine sponsor BWD and they're a bunch of members there