Think you're fast?

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Revised after doing some double checking!!!!

The spit is Indian Reserve on the western half and a Municipal Park on the outer half; each is about 500 m long but the public park has most of the beach of interest for sailing. You do need to cross reserve to get there unless you go by boat (obviously not if gale/storm force!). I've talked to a couple of people from the reserve and they are generally happy to be able to watch windsurfers/kiters off the spit in stormy conditions. You can always stop and ask someone or phone the band office first if its a weekday. Being friendly and asking permission works wonders. There is a powerline runs down the middle of the spit, 100 m upwind of the leeward beach (and remember its also 100 m downwind from your landing if you ever do a downwinder from IV). I watched the poles bending around threatening to fall over during one 40 kt gale. Its also dead offshore in a SE, but if you got into trouble you'd wash up anywhere from a few hundred metres downwind around the James Island ferry dock (Saanich side) to, at the worst case from the very tip of the spit, a couple of km downwind to Lochside Drive. Your gear might not be happy though, much of this is rocky. I can't see anyway you'd end up down the channel or on James/Sidney islands, so its not really dangerous from an 'offshore wind' perspective, provided you make sure the wind isn't veering to southwest. I'm assuming anyone contemplating this spot for speed runs in gale force winds on kite or windsurfer is expert or well on their way. 240 (below) has some cautions about debris hidden under the surface. I recall that same 40kt + blow that Windsurf 247 had an awesome bump/jump session a little further downwind, from some access he found off Lochside Drive.
Last edited by more force 4 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 240 »

The spit has been windsurfed by a few individuals from early 90's till now. This spot, if granted by the Natives is able to be windsurfed fairly safe given the wind strength. Gmac hit some incredible speeds their on a really really small sail in about 50 knots. Their is a lot of metal and old rusty frames under the surface. The Natives here most of the time do not like others roaming around on their land no matter what the reason. Of course being friendly almost always works, and yes they do like the action. Band office, great plan!
As a non kiter, and having the amount of new people reading and learning from words you are suggesting, I hardly think you have judgment on what is safe and not safe with kiting in these specific conditions my friend. When an off shore beach is your option, you must make a judgment call on:

#1- What will happen if everything goes really bad, and I ditch my gear? Trashed.
#2- Is there anywhere down wind to safely land my kite? James Island wharf is not a good exit plan. The rest of it is very sketch as well.
#3- Is there anyone around to assist my launching and landing in 35 plus knots who is experienced enough not to kill me in these gusty winds.
#4- Did I go poo first, cause it gets really fast with not a ripple in that much wind. Spooky fast!

Be brave, and let go of the gear before the obstruction. I look forward to seeing some people come down and giver. This place is quite special in that much wind.
Cheers