Oregon Coast BWD Wavesailing Camp 2013

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Looks like NOAA is shooting more for a Monday start?

Fri: NE wind 5 to 10 kt...backing to NW in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft. Mixed swell W 4 ft at 10 seconds and SW 2 to 3 ft at 15 seconds.

Fri Night: NW wind 10 to 15 kt...veering to N after midnight. Wind waves 2 ft. Mixed swell W 3 ft at 9 seconds and SW 2 to 3 ft at 14 seconds.

Sat: N wind 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft... Building to 4 ft. Swell W 3 ft.

Sun: N wind 10 kt...backing to NW in the afternoon and evening...then...veering to N after midnight. Wind waves 3 ft... Subsiding to 2 ft in the afternoon...then... Building to 4 ft. Mixed swell W 2 ft and SW 2 ft.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KC7777

OC

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Reading this thread reminds me of my stock picking days in '02 - '03. One day up and one day down, never knowing WTF is gonna happen.....you need 3.2/3.7's...no wait it's gonna be 10-15 knots. It's all about hope (of wind/waves) and fear (no wind).

I need to be on the island both this Thurs (Jun 25) to deliver a bike (for my kid) and next Thurs (Jul 4) to pick up my kids at Hornby. Too much uncertainty and too many ferries and too much driving to make Oregon happen in my window.

So am thinking possibly Pacheedaht/Renfrew to SUP/sail on Fri and then Nitinat Sat - Wed....or Tofino to SUP if no wind. Or Hornby to drink if no waves or wind.

nanmoo - feel free to call me whatever name you wish....just be creative.

Good luck to the bwd crew heading down!

K
Tsawwassen

Post by Tsawwassen »

Back on for me. I'll be leaving tomorrow AM. Chris and anyone else are you stopping on the way down or heading straight to Pistol? I'd like to stop and SUP tomorrow evening or afternoon.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I'm just glad the rain seems to be f'ing off finally starting on Friday and there is at least a chance for some wind.

Good enough for me compared to the last couple of weeks of weather!

3pm coho tomorrow. Surf Friday in Flo and hopefully dust off the windsurf gear in Gold Beach for the weekend.
Give'R
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Tsawwassen wrote:Back on for me. I'll be leaving tomorrow AM. Chris and anyone else are you stopping on the way down or heading straight to Pistol? I'd like to stop and SUP tomorrow evening or afternoon.
I may try to join the boys at LaPush before heading further South. If not, maybe Florence. I'll post where I end up...
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen

Post by Tsawwassen »

Thanks I'll see you guys soon. Does anyone know of a surf shop on the coast I forgot to buy a leash for my SUP and I'm not stopping in Hood River on the way down.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Tsawwassen wrote:Thanks I'll see you guys soon. Does anyone know of a surf shop on the coast I forgot to buy a leash for my SUP and I'm not stopping in Hood River on the way down.
Newport has one right next to a pub on the main drag on the south end of town, Florence has sort of a shop, turn north after 126 hits 101 for a few blocks, both on the west side of the street.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Cleanline surf shop on 101 in seaside is my favorite.

Just left the boys in forks after a junky la push session. D2, and winddoc were going to check out Westport next then decide from there. We're back at the coho and after plenty of rain over the last two weeks hopefully headed for some sun in tofino.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Never seen the forecasts so opposed. At least you guys will have waves plus a gorge option though. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=PZZ356
Tsawwassen

Post by Tsawwassen »

Thanks I'm heading to Westport now. Where do you sup from?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It's blowing SE so I'd check north jetty of grays harbor so ocean shores. Look for the Dave's and Chris. Big green ford van and orange Nissan xterra with bc plates.
KC7777

Westport

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

Westport is across the bay from Ocean Shores. I think the surfing is better at Wesport than Ocean Shores.

The main surfing and SUP beach in Westport, WA is called “the Jetty”. It is an 18 mile sandy beach (just like Oregon) with a huge jetty on surfers left shooting 1km+ straight out to sea.

It can be mushy, whitewater or really nice. Lots of parking and showers at the Jetty beach.

I was there a few weeks ago and there were 5 big kites out. Good place for SUP sailing.

There are also 5 smaller finger jettys in town…..called “the Groins” which create little point breaks….tide level is key for these to work.

If you want to camp in Westport,WA there is a small grass field near the Jetty at the gas station called the Hungry Whale….you just pay $5/night to camp in the field. The Red Apple market down the road is open 24 hrs. There are two surf shops.....SteepWater Surf and the Surf Shop....go see the dude at the Surf Shop he is awesome.

This vid shows surfing at the jetty:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkTQZ95DNdE[/youtube]

Keith
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Westport

Post by KUS »

KC7777 wrote:Westport
great beta, KC, thx, suggest to make separate thread for that. :idea: :wink:
Last edited by KUS on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KC7777

Re: Westport

Post by KC7777 »

KUS wrote:great beta, KC, thx, suggest to make separate thread for that. :idea: :wink:
Ya I agree, not many people know about Westport. It will be interesting to see if the bwd Oregon crew likes it. And then we can start a new thread for it.

Conditions can be fickle. Somtimes the period is 10 sec, then later in the day the period is about 3 sec and really messed up whitewater.

I think it is a great place for learning SUP sailing, as that huge Jetty keeps the currents in check, Winds are not strong there but it is often breezy late afternoon, and it is cross-sideshore so not bad for chugging out on your SUP with a 4.7 or 5.3 and sailing back in.

K
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Problem today and why I reccomended ocean shores was crappy south wind. South jetty vs north, north jettys like newport were probably decent to maybe? epic today.