Something to try

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

Huckin

Post by voodmon »

:D well i'm not into forwards, but big backies yeh i'm into those, hav'nt completed one yet as in landed on my feet yet, on my back yes and when it's 3.7 at kook just look for that big one just before it's going to break and go for it...my problem is..when the board goes over my head ..i must be closing my eyes and just end up waiting to splat on my back...but love the hang time ..guess i just need to keep my eyes open and focus on where i want to go...sorry guys the forwards scare me..but i will be 50 next year...but yeah i'm hoping to complete a backie real soon.....the Evo is sooo much fun, although the 70 went vertical easier...looks to me like we will all be pushing each other this storm season..cheers guys and gals..happy rotating :arrow:
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Anonymous wrote:Hey, how about a hockey helmet, eh?
hockey helmets ... so hot right now!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Hokey helmuts

Post by Bobson »

I think Russian-DooD had it right when he called it a Hokey Helmut... :shock: HA!! :D I've got head-gear from rugby which should work quite well for head warmth and cutting down on head impacts. It's just thin foam but should work quite well. As a bonus it floats which will help with my waterstarts...HA!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Ah, so you have all the equipment required Bobson! I recall seeing a promo shot with someone looping a Starboard Start - the Hypersonic is way shorter and lighter, should spin like a dream, no nose to contact your nose either!
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

so how many of you commited and hucked your forwards on that perfect columbia sunday? ... looked like great conditions to get em dialed!

*** edit ***

so what gives :shock: all this talk, and no one attempted/stuck a forward :?:
Russian Dood

here is anothe one

Post by Russian Dood »

>>>Here<<< is another one article on a discussion subject. I wish I had those wings of steel :wink:
~ pimp hand ~

Re: here is anothe one

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Russian Guy wrote:>>>Here<<< is another one article on a discussion subject. I wish I had those wings of steel :wink:
that is a good article, thanx russian guy! ... i like the way it's broken down
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

To my shame I ony think about it ( so far ). And growing my own wings of steel that will help me fly. And yap I liked it too especially the girl on the right side of the article.
morewind

Post by morewind »

we're back on-line with new looping advice. The problem is in your head, right? here's a new online article that deals with the problems of the mind. :evil:

http://www.boardseekermag.com/technique ... loop_2.htm

In summary, "put your brain in your back pocket, and go for it".
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

yep, I saw that one

But to me the summary was "It's not THAT bad.
And another thing.... Whatever you do just do not let go of the boom!"

A year ago I couldn't even imagine imaginig myself looping, and now I seriosely thinking about it. Thanks a lot, guys :twisted:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

More hucking advice from Scott Sanchez, Coach of Goya, Baker, Moreno etc:

One thing that always helps is keeping the front hand in closer just before initiating the rotations, reaching back is a fundamental tool as is looking for the landing. The later the rotation the easier it is to land softer. Extending the arms during the exit phase slows the rotation. Use your stomach during the during the rotation to speed or decrease the movement, the small the object the faster the rotation, so initiate the move in as tight a position as possible and exit opening up slowing the landing phase.

Aloha,
Scott Sanchez
Team MPG
dunkinguy

More Hate Huck advice

Post by dunkinguy »

After reading W Docs post re: the advice of the pros like Sanchez and Goya, I thought, "W Doc, Why not share your own wisdom as you are now a wise, old, super-duper looper."
I will share a tale. On one of our Gorge trips W Doc and I had a conversation about the kind of music that we sing or think about while sailing (I prefer to sing aloud). I told W-Doc that I prefered to sing Rage Against the Machine, Metallica and other savage power tunes before sending the hate huck. W.Doc probably doesn't want me sharing this with the web world, but I'm sure that he will be O.K. with it if it will help even one person throw the hate huck. W.Doc, as many of us have experienced, beat himself up inside trying to get over the fear of hucking the hate. Now some may say it was: fear, mental block etc. I say it was Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" that held him back. Windoc, What song was going through your head last month when you hucked savage hate at Cook St. Was it Private Dancer:?:
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: More Hate Huck advice

Post by bwd »

dunkinguy wrote:I say it was Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" that held him back.
That's interesting that you mention that Dunkinguy. When I'm sailing I just can't get Dancing Queen by Abba out of my head. I wonder if that is part of my looping block? I would really like to experience some of that "Hate" that you guys are talking about. Perhaps I need a new song?
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

trev and me will do kareoke acoustic rage for everyone at the lake this summer, that should help all. tho these days i mainly just complain against the machine.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

:oops: Dunkinguy, YOU SONOFA... Just kiddin. Yep he's right, Private Dancer was in my head (on waaay to many occasions). In my defense, when I get dehydrated, I seem to be a receiver for the worst 80s music ever played. My brain becomes innundated with gooey fromage from the 80s and all the HATE I need to muster to HUCK it simply gets fondued into a tasty yet mild apathy. Then the self beatings ensue.

So what made the difference? Well, to start it off, on my way to the stairs at KooK st. a man with a little poodle was copping attitude my way and wouldn't step aside to let me down the stairs. (sorry if this offends any poodle afficianados) He just sort of slowly regarded me getting knocked repeatedly off balance, while the wind swirled dangerously around me. After I said "excuse me" for the second time and after one of his fellow poodle cuddlers asked him to step aside he casually moved aside. So, in a way, I already had some hate percolating in me before I hit the water. I quickly launched and sailed up to the boys upwind. I jibed on the outside, and spotted Bean rotating through a forward :shock: . Mike was close behind and then he hucked one and got around even further :shock: :shock: . It was then that the decision was made to go for it. I sailed in toward the beach, jibed and sailed back out past the reef. I saw Mike and Tom ahead and I could feel the peer pressure stacked on my shoulders :twisted: . A perfect little skate ramp popped up in front of me, my mind FINALLY went blank and I HUCKED it!
Seeing the other guys going for it and knowing that they had the same fear around this move made all the difference to me finally being able to try one. All you guys who already know how to loop know how technically easy a forward is, but it is literally a leap of faith to jump up, catapult yourself while still in the straps and trust that it's all gonna be aw-ight! But what a feeling to pull your first one!
I can't say I'm over the fear yet but I can't wait to try some more! Hope this helps inspire more potential huckers to go for it. I think having a song in your head could help but if Cindy Lauper is bleeding out of your ears then that may not be the day to go for it...