Tri-fin Conversion

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

no cant and toe is 'a smige' (width of my pencil line). funny thing when you start trying to make precise measurements on your board, you can find it's not as symmetrical or straight as you thought.
you should chop up the RRD and make a 210cm stubby, they are so hot right now! :D thanks DM!
stokeometer

Post by stokeometer »

Here are some pics from my first 2 hours in the shaping bay:

http://wtfbc.ca/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1051

If all goes well, it might be ready for the weekend!
"I loop therefore I am"
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

Nice work !!!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

looking good! i noticed you have used the left and right boxes , are those the canted ones? If you run symmetrical (centre) fins in a left or right box you will need to make that extra little divot on the base for the set screw to key into, this ensures you don't lose a fin if the screw gets loose. you probably knew this! :o :D
stokeometer

Post by stokeometer »

Downwind Dave, they're level (no cant) boxes. Didn't even know you could buy boxes with cant inbuilt :roll: The minimal end result cant is from the V bottom.

Here are the goods:

Before my poor man's carbon finish.

With carbon finish.

BRING ON THE SLASHING!
"I loop therefore I am"
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Looks pretty badass! i like how you painted the whole tail not just around the boxes, i might go do that, my 2 red patches look kinda dumb :lol:
fcs makes 5 and 9 degree side boxes (colour coded black and orange) to compensate for bottom contours, or you can put em on a flat bottom to get your fin canted over.
stokeometer

Post by stokeometer »

Thanks downwind Dave!

I'm thinking of making the trek over to the island tomorrow for the SE forecast for a maiden Columbia Beach session and the first test on the new Holy Grail Shredding Machine.

Last time I made the trip over it didn't feel like too much of a gamble with SE30 forecasted all day at Comox, but this time it might be a bit of a gamble - but I'm feeling lucky.

Thoughts? Cheers.
"I loop therefore I am"
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

so here's the result of a couple hrs sailing with my new thrusterz: :cry: :cry:
this is on the left side but the starboard box cracked too, both in the area surrounding the inside set screw. i did sail them pretty hard but i didn't hit anything. my feeling is the fusion boxes are plenty strong, but there is just not enough plastic surrounding the screw for whatever load it takes.

on the plus side, the new fins felt great and the board is still plenty fast. cant see any reason to not run the side fins now that i have em and the boxes are there, so i'm wondering if i should just glue em in and treat it like a surfboard with glass-ons. :?: :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:the new fins felt great and the board is still plenty fast.:D
hmm but isn't this ur big board and wasn't it plenty windy? Not surprised on all counts....lots of loading and speed due to high winds...bet a different outcome in 16-18kn
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I think we are just lucky he didn't leave it on the beach. : )
Give'R
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

lol funny thing is i almost had to step right over my stuff when i went down to get my board. :lol: ok Kus no official verdict till i hula out in 16 kts. spoiler alert 'hey this sucks' :D
Last edited by downwind dave on Fri May 29, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

It may be worth you guys looking at Probox Hawaii fin boxes over the FCS offerings. They will still accept FCS fins, in addition to their own proprietary ones, futures can be modified easily to fit as well.

The fin is more secure when in there, but the insert for changing the fin cant will rip out with the fin before your fin box blows up. Their installation jigs & router bit are the cheapest around too as an added bonus, and you can get some adjust-ability too.

I have some installed on a wakesurf/kiteboard, and a set of boxes that haven't been installed yet if anyone wants to take a look.
winddude

Post by winddude »

I'd go slot-box if you can find or build one. You can only seem to order them from a few guys in Australia and Europe, http://www.moocustom.co.uk/product-cate ... lot-boxes/ , but they aren't cheap. I've tried talking to Trident and no luck

2nd choice would be mini-us, you can cut down a standard us box to make a mini US.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

slot box and mini us wont hold a fcs fin which is why i started my experiment in the first place (had a stack of fins). unless you run a fcs/longboard box adaptor. probox i don't know much about. maybe on some other board! my feeling is if you are windsurfing the stuff designed for surfing (though cheap) might not be the best bet. i hope you other guys trying the fusion box have better luck. :D
winddude

Post by winddude »

downwind dave wrote:slot box and mini us wont hold a fcs fin which is why i started my experiment in the first place (had a stack of fins). unless you run a fcs/longboard box adaptor. probox i don't know much about. maybe on some other board! my feeling is if you are windsurfing the stuff designed for surfing (though cheap) might not be the best bet. i hope you other guys trying the fusion box have better luck. :D
probox looks similar to a scaled down slot box. My guess is the plastic isn't strong enough, similar to the fcs, when you look at the surf boxes vs the resins used in windsurf boxes, it's pretty obvious the windsurf ones are much stronger.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart