Tri-fin Conversion

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

The probox plastic at the very least looks/feels sturdier than the FCS boxes (closer to the chinook powerboxes that I have), and the full length fin base instead of the stupid little 2 tab system is going to spread the load much better
In theory the FCS system is good, but I'm totally underwhelmed with their build quality on boxes.
That being said I don't know how the cant adjustment insert would hold up for your guys' applications, as it is an extra link in the chain for probox (I suspect it would though, it's a pretty snug fit for spreading the load).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:slot box and mini us wont hold a fcs fin which is why i started my experiment in the first place (had a stack of fins). unless you run a fcs/longboard box adaptor. probox i don't know much about. maybe on some other board! my feeling is if you are windsurfing the stuff designed for surfing (though cheap) might not be the best bet. i hope you other guys trying the fusion box have better luck. :D
it's starting to look like you should just buy my 94l quad and get on with things :twisted: there might also be an 84 quad left in the clear out pile! Test drive one? Wdoc, wsurfish, stickman Pete have one kicking around...Pete should be popping his Nat cherry any day now :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

Sorry to hear the grub screws failed on you. That is disappointing. Udder only used his once for a short time, so not sufficient testing in that case. WSF has used his a fair bit and not reported any problem to date, but time will tell with regard to his.
If they are to be considered suitable they should not fail during normal sailing, except in a case of striking something of course, so I guess the results are in.
Will have to find a stronger box that is available to consumers.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

kus: hey, i just broke a grub screw, not the whole board! besides i spend too much on my bikes to worry about the latest fashion board. the old WO is fine until it breaks! then we'll talk. :lol:

DM: maybe it was just me? no major loss but i did think it would last a bit longer!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

No offence to Udder and WSF but I think DWD gets a bit more radical and probably put the box through it's paces.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
eastside

Post by eastside »

I wouldn't get too negative on the concept. If DD was doing spinning freestyle moves, loops, for sure the lateral load could be huge, but normally you would do this with a freestyle fin. One failure is minimal. Maybe the screws were too tight? Maybe no big gouges? I had the Starboard quad with the same fcs type fins and followed the forums on the system when I put the fcs in my Evil Twin. There were no reports of failure. I am actually surprised they work as well as they do. The fcs system is way more flimsy than the mini Tuttle, but cheap and easy to install. Glass 'em in and rip Downwind Dave. :twisted:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:kus: hey, i just broke a grub screw, not the whole board! besides i spend too much on my bikes to worry about the latest fashion board
oh, I guess i thought it was a fashionable multi-fin board you were trying to emulate with your efforts, my mistake...and I certainly didn't ever think you worried about fashion :idea: despite your kickass truck
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i did wonder about overtightening, but i also think that would have stripped the threads before cracking out the box. i haven't seen this result in any of my fcs boards, just this one i windsurfed on. :evil: . i was kinda rough on it, i was trying to learn a shaka. going to just glue em in and call it good. :D
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

A Shaka! Well there's your problem man. It's dead simple with no effort, spinny things or fin load. You just take whichever hand you are most comfortable with off the boom, extend the thumb and little finger while holding the middle three fingers curled. For extra style, lightly shake your hand while holding it out there!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

aw shit i was doing it all wrong. :? :lol:
winddude

Post by winddude »

About to replace some broken slot boxes with US boxes, and have a question for you DavidM, are you putting a layer of glass between the box and the board, or just thickened epoxy?
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Closed cell foam or balsa preferably. Thickened epoxy if you have to. Glass mat will create unneccesary hard points in the foam. The mast tracks I've done have a lot more stress than fins and have all held up this way. Fins are even easier.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Yea, I was going to do d-cell around the boxes before installing. But you think balsa is better? Never heard that, why? Im wondering about between the d-cell and eps, carbon art seems to use a two part expanding glue
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Balsa is the poor man's more readily accessible closed cell foam.
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

WD, I'd use divinycell the sides of the box (see boardlady.com online), not balsa. Balsa is a total water sucker if any leak were to develop. Divinycell will not adsorb water to the same degree if you were to develop a small crack. The larger the divinycell bearing area you create the better.

http://boardlady.com/jppowerbox.htm
Last edited by DavidM on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.