Buying Sprinter Van and ideas for racking system

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
winddude

Post by winddude »

nanmoo wrote:Ha can you imagine buying an Outside van now with a 0.68 USD exchange!
Things are looking up 0.71 today!
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I have to disagree about FWD. It's nowhere near as robust as RWD drives like crap; and is primarily a cost saving measure which is why it's more popular in budget cars of which Europe has dialed in the market on. Not to mention FWD is significantly more complex and expensive to repair.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Those Getaway conversions look nice but there is absolutely no consideration for doing anything other than living in them. No room for any type of sporting equipment other than maybe some golf clubs or tennis rackets. Think I need to start my own RV business. Already have the right initials at least. Haha
Why aren't YOU out there?
renegade

sprinters

Post by renegade »

Been looking around. Thanks for the advice.

So fun dealing with car salesman.

The passenger option looks interesting?.....has AC and flooring and nice windows on both sides.....and a removable three-person bench. Which would be good for ski trips with additional people?

But $60k+ for a new 2015......sigh
Attachments
IMG_8980a.jpg
IMG_8980a.jpg (539.05 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
1A_640.jpg
1A_640.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
2014_Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter_2500_170_WB_Crew_3dr_Van_wHigh_Roof_21L_4cyl_Turbodiesel.jpg
2014_Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter_2500_170_WB_Crew_3dr_Van_wHigh_Roof_21L_4cyl_Turbodiesel.jpg (180.37 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Just a thought but this is how I would approach the situation. Find a Sprinter or whatever van you like that has been used and not abused. In other words the most important thing anout any vehicle to me is if I like the way it looks, has the features I want and the body has to be in excellent condition. Keep your price point under say 20-25k (15k for me) and don't worry if it has some mileage on it. OK now guess how much mechanical work you might need in the future and BANG you can still afford to fix it cause you don't have 60k into it. Oh and don't worry about what's on the inside too much cause it will likely be gutted anyway.
Oh...and isn't that a rust spot under the drivers side read door?
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Nice "Little" rig. Way out of the price range and only minimal gear storage under the bed. Might be suitable for someone with wheelbarrows full of money to burn or a kiter though! :idea:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Renegade - can't stress this enough. Get in touch with an Albertan dealership. They'll have twice the discounts available in BC, maybe more now with the oil situation. Get BC dealer to match, if they won't the AB dealer will ship it no charge or pay for your flight out and diesel home.

Ray - totally agree but finding that is impossible. Maybe in 5 years. Everything that price is ex-courier beat to shit. The good privately owned ones only sell at a $10-$20k discount and with 150,000+ km hardly seem worth it. We tried, and failed. Better to get a sweet E series under $10k like Lawman did if going that route.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

I agree with most of your point Tony but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look. Businesses going under in Alberta may mean some deals on used sprinters as well. 150 k on a diesel is nothing. I've had many a van over the years that was a bit beat up on the inside but in great shape on the outside (which is more important anyway) Since the inside is to be all camperized none of that matters anyway. It all boils down to the number of years you'll be keeping the van. Total cost of vehicle plus maintenance and other costs for conversion. Renegade can do math I believe....
JL

Post by JL »

Here is another link for van projects. It's NOT specific to the promaster: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

The windsurfer "deal, deal, better deal"...yeah I like a deal...at some point tho u may wake up with no time left and wonder why u kept waiting ....just saying, life's short, no regrets!
As for sprinter and 60k...rich for sure, u can buy a shitload of fuel and pay for a boatload of repairs for the extra 40-50....those late 90's full size Chev Vans get decent mileage and you can't kill 'em (cept may need a spare 3k for a tranny some day), come in AWD too, compfy to drive, all camper options fit. Pretty happy with some header wrap or heat shield for the kusshine to avoid the stress next time (2x now, no #3 for this guy) and the AWD Safari combo so far.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Good points Kus.. Personally as a kiter a 'westy' layout would be plenty. In fact a weekender (no inside stove ) is adequate . :P http://www.gtrv.com/models
Thermals are good.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Ummm...I already made those points (different wording). And Renegade is not a kiter...yet.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.